Costumes!

Options
lentigogirl
lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
My teacher describes belly dance as the form of choice for women who want to dress in drag...

What's your favorite costume style? Your favorite source?

I like big swooshy chiffony skirts more than the skin-tight lycra, which emphasizes my belly and thighs more than I prefer and which I also find nonconducive to amy actual movement. Spangly bras are great, but I prefer to also cover my bat wings with a filmy overblouse. (For rehearsal I tend to wear a ballet croptop or a choli.) I've resigned myself to a bare midriff, but my favorite bra has dangling spangles.

Replies

• raelorien
    raelorien Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My preference is for dresses. Zip and go! :happy:
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of stuff, but generally prefer more fitted Egyptian-style costumes (both cabaret and folkloric) to the chiffon skirt look. (Partly because tighter things emphasise the fact that my waist is considerably smaller than my giant *kitten*! And partly just because I like the look.) They're also more appropriate for the types of music I like dancing to most - I love saiidi and shaabi, and my first solo will actually be a shaabi piece featuring 6-inch wedge heels and jeggings. Oh yes.

I'm still searching for a bra, but when I do find (or make) one, it will be blinged to the max! :-p
  • khoshgeleh16
    Options
    This seems like as good a place as any for showing off costume pictures - so, these are two of mine from our winter hafla!

This one was for a modern Egyptian street-style shaabi number (what else could it be, with a costume this violently tasteless?!):

9a9vdg.jpg

And this one was for a slightly vintage beledi group number:

qqom1h.jpg

(ETA though I don't know how that top one is practically life-sized it's so enormous… sorry about that!)
  • lentigogirl
    Options
    Awesome!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Lilithnoor and I are currently working up a "city gypsy parisienne" type outfit involving ridiculously large pantaloons!
  • raelorien
    Options
    For anyone on the lookout for new costumes, pieces, parts, etc. Scheherazade Imports is having their semi-annual sale this weekend in central Virginia.
  • lentigogirl
    Options
    ooo -- wish they did that online! I'm not too far from Central VA but I don't think I can rationalize the road trip....
  • khoshgeleh16
    Options
    Lilithnoor and I are currently working up a "city gypsy parisienne" type outfit involving ridiculously large pantaloons!

Heee! Pantaloons! Always an outstanding idea! What's the music going to be? One of my classes is doing Reda-style muwahashat this term, and I'm hoping we perform it at some point, because the outfits are adorable - the long jacket-y things with harem trousers under!
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    As my profile pic would suggest, I tend to like a little something covering my belly! If I'm wearing a choli / blinged out bandeau or some other more casual top, I attach a swag of fringe to loop down over my belly. Most of my dance sisters tell me I'm crazy and need to show off my belly, but that's kind of my comfort zone! I always say when my six pack comes in, I will!! I love fuuulllll skirts! Not the biggest chiffon fan, but I love gypsy-style skirts and satin circle skirts. I also love the flare pants (heard them called tribal pants or jazz pants, but don't want to confuse the issue :D) They're so flattering and freeing to dance in!!

I love the blinged out cab style bra/belt sets as well, but don't always feel as comfortable in them. Maybe I just haven't found the exactly correct style for my body type. As with my more casual tops, I tend to require a little fringe down over the belly.

One of my troupes does a lot of folkloric, so I also have one of the long jacket (ghawazee coat style) pieces that we wear with harem pants. I've used it (along with a homemade fancy hat) for a persian number we did and for a ghawazee number.

It's amazing the variety of costuming that can be used! Looking forward to adding more to my arsenal!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Our studio does more of the caberet style bra/belt with the chiffon skirts (usually two skirts of different colors or a chiffon with a tissue lame in silver or gold)

I found the best bra/belt set was the one made by my studio director for me (I cannot sew, I am a disaster waiting to happen for that one!) She swagged the fringe how I wanted it, and blinged it out and there is enough room for me to add any bling that I want. The only thing I would recommend for this style is to choose a base color for the bra/belt in a metal so that way it goes with EVERYTHING! Mine is mostly silver with gold accents and I have a reversable silver and gold vest I can wear over it, I can wear it with any skirt, love it!
  • missdaisy79
    Options
    Heee! Pantaloons! Always an outstanding idea! What's the music going to be? One of my classes is doing Reda-style muwahashat this term, and I'm hoping we perform it at some point, because the outfits are adorable - the long jacket-y things with harem trousers under!

The music is by an artist called Mad Manoush, and it's very...French sounding. We worked up a minute of choreography yesterday which was pretty pleasing.
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome, Miss Daisy! I wish the MFP groups had a private video sharing feature, as I'd love for the belly group to be able to share videos! Also, Khosh, I meant to say that you look stunning in that dress!! Just gorgeous!
  • LilithNoor
    Options
    I'm really looking forward to breaking out of the mould with a pantaloons costume. I usually go for cabaret dresses (I like the type with a matching bra) or bedlah with an a line skirt.

I make most of my own costumes as finding affordable and attractive costuming in my size is impossible.

9437011449_e9562cf86b.jpg
  • khoshgeleh16
    Options
    I'm really looking forward to breaking out of the mould with a pantaloons costume. I usually go for cabaret dresses (I like the type with a matching bra) or bedlah with an a line skirt.

I make most of my own costumes as finding affordable and attractive costuming in my size is impossible.

Right there with you - bras are just a nightmare! I do desperately want a dress like yours, though, with the exposed bra! (Did you cover that yourself? That's probably my next step...) It's perfect for the modern Egyptian style I'm trying to cultivate. Farida Dance had this amazing Lisa Frank-esque rainbow stripey one on sale at Fantasia and it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen... and also a size 10 UK *tears*
  • khoshgeleh16
    Options
    Sounds awesome, Miss Daisy! I wish the MFP groups had a private video sharing feature, as I'd love for the belly group to be able to share videos! Also, Khosh, I meant to say that you look stunning in that dress!! Just gorgeous!

Oh man, video sharing would be amaaaaazing. We'd probably have to have a closed & strictly modded group to fend off the creepers if RL videos were being posted, though :-/ speaking with far too much Facebook experience...

And thank you - it's definitely my fave piece of wearable bling, but it was originally picked out for me by my lovely teacher, who has excellent taste! :-D (There may be video of that performance at Fantasia coming soon, actually, if anyone wants it!)
  • LilithNoor
    Options

Right there with you - bras are just a nightmare! I do desperately want a dress like yours, though, with the exposed bra! (Did you cover that yourself? That's probably my next step...) It's perfect for the modern Egyptian style I'm trying to cultivate. Farida Dance had this amazing Lisa Frank-esque rainbow stripey one on sale at Fantasia and it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen... and also a size 10 UK *tears*

One of the reasons I like these dresses is that I only need to cover the cups of bras, which is dead easy. The dress hides the rest of it. The dresses are also really easy to make, just buy a cheap floor length dress on eBay and cut out the neckline.
  • missdaisy79
    Options
    I see the bling ankle bandage there ;)
  • LilithNoor
    Options
    Yes, that's one accessory I would prefer not to use again (tip for anyone planning to dance on a sprained ankle- don't).

Pantaloons arrived on Thursday so am now plotting the rest of the costume. Anyone ever worn a wig for dancing? I recently copied my hair to chin length and fancy long Black hair for this piece.
  • khoshgeleh16
    Options
    Anyone ever worn a wig for dancing? I recently copied my hair to chin length and fancy long Black hair for this piece.

I haven't, but I wear clip-in extensions for performance (to give my hair volume, not length) and I love the look! A couple of my teachers wear full hairpieces, though, and they seem fairly straightforward and easy to care for.
  • raelorien
    Options
    I have worn wigs but not a regular basis. The best things that I can recommend is get a wig cap that is more like netting rather than pantyhose (you can secure the wig better), and be sure to practice in it, especially if using any props.