Need surgery guidance !

Options
clcaprio
clcaprio Posts: 1 Member
Hello! So I am going through the program looking to get the sleeve. As I am going through the process I feel like I need more thoughts from people who have gone through it than the surgeon/nutritionist- In the program they have said some things that I was questioning if they were true in the sense that if I do them I will hurt my new stomach or I just won't lose as much weight as quickly.
Things like...

Taking 45 minutes to eat a meal as small as a half a boiled egg
Not drinking and eating at the same time ever
No drink alcohol, ever ...this I am asking because I am 23 and I do like going out on the weekends with my friends but I don't ever really drink during the week
I'm going to need 4-6 weeks off from work to recovery from surgery- I work a desk job so I do no lifting and can sip on shakes all day which is what they told me I would need to do.

I just started a new job so I have 14 days off from work a year...I try to do as much in my program outside of work hours but it gets really challenging and I don't feel like the people in the office really understand because they deal with people saying it everyday.

I really want to do this because I have been trying to do it on my own for years and I might get 15-20lbs off but then it comes right back on. Hoping for some guidance from people that have had the surgery good or bad. Thanks!

Replies

• thoughtaling76
    thoughtaling76 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I will tell you my experiences but keep in mind everyone is different and your surgeon may have different guidelines but here goes... I had surgery on 10/26/12 and I feel I have done well but I am still working towards my goal. I still don't drink and eat at the same time I find it uncomfortable also I feel like I stay fuller longer.. I have had an alcohol both beer and mixed drinks but did not drink until I was at least 6 months out and it's still not something I do often because it really is empty calories.. And finally the further out I've gotten it does not take me as long to eat that said you do want to enjoy and take your time with your food it takes me about 20 minutes at least to eat a meal and for me that's 3-4 oz of protein and about 1/4 cup of veggies.. Hope this helps but remember everyone is different and you'll want to stick to your surgeons plan :)
  • thoughtaling76
    thoughtaling76 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot I was only off work for 1 week and I was fine but a gain just my experience..
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Meals still take me awhile. I only eat about a cup of food at a sitting. My husband can eat two or three cups worth of food and he's done way before I'm even halfway into mine. It's good to eat slow because it gives you a chance to realize that you are "done" eating. I get the hiccups when I'm done. :) I only eat until I'm satisfied or no longer hungry, not stuffed.

I had two weeks off from work - used the Family Medical Leave Act, no PTO. I probably could have gone back after one week, but it was nice to have that second week to get a handle on how to eat. For a desk job, I can't imagine needing more than two weeks. I had a desk job then too. No lifting, etc.

I typically don't eat and drink together. Drinking something with a meal fills me up, which isn't good. I need that darn protein!

I just had my first "full" drink (whiskey/diet coke) this past Saturday. My surgery was July 23, 2012. However, I typically don't drink unless we are at my Hubs' work Christmas party - which is where we were on Sat.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I went right back to work after 3 days but I have a no lifting job. Drinking with your meal means that you fill up before you get your protein down and then the food transits faster from your stomach resulting in potentially being hungry before your next meal. You won't really need to drink because your food will have to be quite moist just to get it down. The alcohol issue is for your own safety. With only a partial stomach your blood alcohol level will elevate rapidly on a small amount. .25 glass of wine will have the effect of 2 glasses. Whenever I next go to a party with beverages I am just gonna bring an ultra light beer and nurse it all night long-provided I have had a meal to coat my stomach. Mentally it was tougher to accept that I could never take an adult dose of Motrin or really any NSAID ever again.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options

Taking 45 minutes to eat a meal as small as a half a boiled egg
    Not drinking and eating at the same time ever
    No drink alcohol, ever ...this I am asking because I am 23 and I do like going out on the weekends with my friends but I don't ever really drink during the week
    I'm going to need 4-6 weeks off from work to recovery from surgery- I work a desk job so I do no lifting and can sip on shakes all day which is what they told me I would need to do.

Ok just my experience (and everyone is different) but I am 2 yrs out...
    - I can eat quickly. But I fill up quick! I can eat most of a 6" sub and be stuffed.. maybe too stuffed at times. Depends on my tummy. Some days I can't eat a 3" sub!! And that is 2 yrs out!!
    - I drink and eat at the same time ALL the time. This was true at first b/c they want you to get protein in first. Liquids will fill you up (mostly) but it doesn't stop me from sipping on a drink before/during/after my meals.
    - Alcohol... I can drink beer but only a few sips. Not a whole beer. So if I do drink it is wine or a cocktail. And I am a CHEAP DATE hahahaha one or two and I am done for the night. I still feel like I am enjoying the party/club etc. Most times I am DD now. It was easier to not really drink b/c I went 6 months without any alcohol. No loss there, IMHO.
    - I took off 3-4 weeks but I had complications and was in the hospital longer than expected.

Again, I am speaking from a veteran status of 2 yrs out. There is nothing that I "can't" eat. There are things that I choose not to eat (or eat much of) - like pasta is too filling, so a couple bites is good. Boiled eggs are out for me (lost the tatse).

Some people can/will stick to the Dr's eating plan forever. That was not me. I stayed on it for the post op period then transitioned into re-learning how to eat properly (small portions of healthy foods). I would do the Sleeve over again. The initial pain and stress of not being able to eat was hard but it is SOOOOOO WORTH IT. I look and feel better than I did at 19! I am super happy now. Yeah I still get down when I eat a little and fill up (my head says still hungry.. eat more... tummy says NO!). Wouldn't trade my Sleeve for anything!!!!

Good luck
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    45 min to eat? No. After the first month, I don't take forever to eat a meal. As I sit here I'm eating a cup of Greek cottage cheese which I will have down in about 15 minutes through the typing. If it takes me longer than that to eat, I just stop and wait for the next meal\snack.

Not drinking and eating at the same time ever. This one you should live by. Sorry. Two reasons. One, there isn't room in your pouch for water and food at the same time. Two, you don't want to wash down your food. You want it to stay in your stomach as long as possible. I avoid liquid 15 min before and 30-60 min after.
    No drink alcohol, ever? Um, I drink. Not often and not much. Is it too soon at three months out? Probably. Is it empty calories, definitely. I drink a glass of wine or a cocktail if I'm out with friends, but always on a nearly empty stomach as it causes reflux for me. Often I don't finish the drink. I do have less tolerance, (not as bad as I thought though). The hardest part of re-learning how to drink has been no beer, (because of the bubbles) and no diet soda as a mixer for the same reason, (I used to love me some Captain and Diet)! That will leave you...limited, but I make it work. I count it in my daily calorie intake and work it into my diet of 1000-1200 cal when I do it.
    Time off work- If you have a lifting job you'll need the 4 weeks off to be safe. I was only in the hospital overnight, never took the pain meds and was back at work the next week, but I have a desk job.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    First up: Everyone is different and will need to learn thier new realities. Always be honest with your Dr - even if they advise against alcohol be honest of you have a drink. Mine is supportive of moderation in everything.

4 months out 85lbs down and I can eat whatever I want though I choose to focus on protein and exercise often. Meals take 20 - 30 minutes becasue I relearned how to eat slow. Hard Boiled Egg: 5 minutes in the car on the way to work. 100 Calorie pack of Almonds: 5 minutes. Greek Yogurt 10 minutes. Steak - a bit longer, you get the picture. *** The first 6 weeks were very different. It really does take a long time in the beginning but that passes. Patience.

I never drink and eat at the same time. Makes me feel ill. I follow as closely as possible to 30 before and 30 after. Works for me. I know a few people who will sip during a meal but not many.

Alcohol: Wine at 2 months, Martini at 2.5 and rediscovered Guiness Beer at 3 months. Very little carbination. Tried Scotch and Mojito Sours (no sugar) as well with great results. I am tolorating well. DO NOT DRIVE. Relearn your body at home or when you have a driver. 1 drink lasts a while, 2 gives me a strong buzz. Bright side is your recovery time is faster as well. The calories are empty but I am usually so far below my NET calorie requirements that some empty ones are not hurting my progress. Did I say "DO NOT DRIVE!" yet?
  • kimmysleeved
    kimmysleeved Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved in September and had many of the same questions you did. 45 mins - no...not even at the beginning. You will find you are full long before you get a whole egg in you for quite a while. I still have amazing restriction and can barely get 2-3 ounces in me at a time. You won't want to drink and eat at the same time, there just isn't any room. I have found; however, that the time between eating and having a drink gets smaller as you go on. At first, my surgeon told me to wait 30-45 mins between eating/drinking, but now it's more like 15. I have a glass of wine every night, which isn't great for the weight loss, but I figure I'm down to having one glass instead of one bottle, so I go with it. My tolerance is WAY down as well, if I have a cocktail, I'm toast in 30 mis.
    I have a desk job and was off for 3 weeks. I could have probably gone back in 2, but glad I took the time to rest. I was exhausted for the first few weeks of going back to work.
    The surgery is a MAJOR adjustment and not a cure-all - that said, after struggling with weight for 42 years, it was THE BEST decisioin I've ever made for myself.
    You will have ups and downs, but you will get through them - good luck!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 2.5 years ago. I still do not drink during a meal. I've tried it and find I wind up with a lot less food, and since getting that protein in is so important, I find it easier to still just eat and wait at least 1/2 hour before drinking. I still need my food moist. If it's too dry I get a "stuck" feeling. I still weigh and measure for portion control because I suck at "eyeballing" portions.

Drinking? I didn't for at least 6 months and then I only got about 1/2 glass of wine in and could feel it already. Yes I will drink now and then, but as they are empty calories and I only am allowed about 1,000 per day, I don't waste them on drinking on a regular basis. But again, it hits you a lot faster and a lot harder after surgery. Still does for me even this far out. I am a true lightweight when it comes to drinking now. :smile:

I have always eaten too fast. I had to slow down initially after surgery, no choice. For awhile you will find it difficult to eat any way but slow. The good thing about that is being able to work up to feeling full or satisfied. If you eat too fast you blow past that full feeling and then you are over full. And let me tell you, that is really uncomfortable. If I do that, eat too fast and get too much food in my stomach, the extra comes right back up because there is no stretch left for me there is nowhere for the food to go. Just the extra come up, not the whole meal. So I've learned to catch that "I think I'm done" feeling and stop. For me it's feeling like I need to burp. Sometimes I do need to burp and might feel like I can eat more after I do, but I still don't. That's my cue. Everyone has a slightly different cue.

One more thing, I said I have no stretchy part left to my stomach. That is per my surgeon. When I was told I needed to eat more I told him how scared I was to "restretch" my stomach and regain my weight. He explained that he took all the stretchy part away, that I could not restretch my stomach. Yes I would be able to eat more as time went on, but not because I was restretching. Every surgeon does it differently, so don't assume you will have the same thing. It's just one of the many questions to ask prior to surgery.

I started at 386 and need to lose a total of 226, so I'm still working on it. But I will tell you this is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself. No I can't go party like I used to, nor can I eat like I sued to. I have a few things I won't reintroduce to my life because I couldn't control myself with them before and have no reason to believe I will now. And some things my tummy just no longer likes. But that's all OK. Because getting the weight off and being healthy is so much more important than those things.
  • suzee279
    Options
    I am just about a year out from surgery. Everyone is different and everyone will tell you that their experiences vary. But there are a few things that are mostly consistant across the board. It doesn't take 45 minutes to eat a meal. Even when they were really small, you will fill up and not want another bite way before 45 minutes have passed. Even now, I only eat about a cup or so of food at a time, it doesnt take that long. I do not drink with my meals as I wouldnt be able to eat much and then I wouldn't stay sated for long enough. I stop drinking at least 20 minutes before eating and generally dont drink till at least 90 minutes after. I did not drink any alcohol till I was about 9 months out. I think I have had about 3 drinks total in the last 18 months, so I dont do it often as I don't want the empty calories, and really dont miss it.

I returned to work about a month after the surgery, but I had a huge long commute and really couldnt handle it at first. It was not difficult to handle once I got there, I just brought my own food and built it into my day. The only thing I experienced post op was some weakness, and once my diet stabilized and I was getting at least 60 grams of protein in regularly, it was never a problem.

This was the very best thing I could have ever done for myself. It has been a complete success for me and I never would have accomplished this had I not had this tool to help me. I have about 30 lbs left to lost with about 120 gone, and I am firmly convinced I will be able to meet my goals and stay there.

Suz