Questions from a newbie - Please reply

Options
Hi Ladies- so I Looovvee lifting weights but hate cardio, nevertheless, I started 5x5 last week with the 45# bar with 45 minutes of cardio afterwards. My programming is 5x5 3 days per week +45 min of cardio 6 days per week +1 strength training class at the gym per week. I have 80 - 100lbs to lose; goal is to burn fat to reach 20-25% bf while gaining (or at least maintaining muscle) - does this sound excessive?? I feel fine if not great and wish I could solely lift, but I've been told to cut fat (I have a lot of fat to lose) that I have to incorporate cardio. For 5x5, I only did the barbell movements and not the other 3 (non bar movements). Do you guys do all 5 movments each of the 3-days or just the barbell movements? I haven't done the pull-ups because I am not able to do them physically yet and there is no room anywhere to do planks or reverse crunches at the gym. Haven't yet incorporated them at home.

My next question is do you really add 5lbs each workout day? I imagine things would get too heavy too fast...but maybe not. I don't quite understand the deload option but I have time until I get there. Was just curious to see if I should maybe stick with the bar or slightly heavier for awhile or not?

My last question - does anyone know the average percentage of fat loss that can be lost in a month? I'm trying to write my goals and don't want to set them unrealistically.

Questions Summary:
1. Do you guys do all 5 movments each day or just the barbell movements?
2. Do you really add 5lbs each workout day?
3. What is the average percentage of fat loss that can be lost in a month?
4. Does my programming seem excessive?

Thanks for your help and support!!!

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of questions and a lot of exercise! Can you sustain that? I suggest you reread the stickies as you are not following the programme (chin ups are not part of it for now for example) and it explains the structure and when you add weight.
    I'm no nutrition expert but a calorie deficit will help reduce weight. Lifting helps it be fat not muscle.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think you should drop the extra strength training class and make sure the cardio doesn't tire you out too much (some walking would be fine; adjust down or up as needed). On lift days some cardio to warm up is fine (usually 15 minutes is enough) but 45 minutes seems a bit much.

You should probably take at least one complete rest day where you don't exercise at all.

Try that for a few weeks, because the weights will get very heavy very quickly and something is going to have to give.

While you're starting out with Stronglifts you can probably do all that cardio, but pretty soon you'll probably find that you're just too wiped out.

You don't need to be doing planks, reverse crunches or pull-ups. Where are you getting that from? Focus on the main lifts, get your head around doing them properly and give yourself time. This is not a sprint where you come like gangbusters out of the gates and then quit in 2 weeks because you're doing too much, too soon, and your body can't keep up. Slow down.

Eat at a small deficit and buckle down for the long haul. 80-100 pounds is going to take a long time.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Definitely read the stickies as you seem to be confused about the program. I have the Stronglifts 5X5 app on my cell phone. It keeps track of what exercises I do and how much weight to add.
  • OnPointDiva
    OnPointDiva Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your reply. I was a bit confused about the program because the original PDF I found had additional movements but here on the form there were only the barbell movements so I wasn't sure if they were just excluded or if the program changed. I've learned it was an outdated file. I've re-read the sticky and I've downloaded the app to my phone. That will help a lot. It's good to hear that I only need to focus on the barbell movements...because those are my favorite! I did CrossFit for a bit in 2012 so I'm familiar with the movements but not an expert.

Thank you Dani - I'm in it for the long haul, just trying to incorporate a little bit of all the advice I was given. But I do know this will take some time. I'm trying to be consistent so the results will come.

Thank you!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I also can't recommend enough the book 'starting strength' by Mark Rippetoe - the first section is free as a sample on the kindle (or emulator for your phone if you don't have one!) :)
  • OnPointDiva
    OnPointDiva Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you lwoodroff - I will get a copy of the book.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    He's super snoozy technical but he really breaks it down for you. If you're serious about barbell training, then Starting Strength is a must-read (I think). Look at it more as a manual that'll answer all your questions you never thought you had.

Also watch Rippetoe videos on Youtube. They're a goldmine. Really.