too heavy to lift heavy?

Options
So yesterday after my first attempt at SL I am out to lunch with a group of ladies when of course the discussion turns to weight loss and exercise. One sweet friend who lost 25# with cardio explained to us that you mustn't use strength training for weight loss because it only builds muscle under fat thereby making you bigger. Another said that was exactly why she quit strength. I wanted to disagree with them and argue the whole diet is a much bigger factor thing, but I'm no expert and don't want to be one of those people who act like they are...
so please reassure me (or don't, be honest) Am I, who still has 45# to lose, doing the right thing by starting SL? I know you are all fans of the program or you wouldn't be here, but is there anyone here who lost their weight doing this? Should I lose more first? I am 43 years old, maybe i do need more than HIIT (my plan was SL 3x a week, HIIT 2x a week) Too scared to continue until I hear from someone (who used to be) in my shoes...

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you are right and they are wrong. When you start weight/strength training, your muscles may get "pumped" i.e. a one-time increase in size, due to them retaining more water and glycogen. This is frequently mistaken for "oh wow I'm a genetic freak and I gain muscle really easily I'm going to look like the incredible hulk if I carry on like this!". Bulkiness, however, comes from excess fat. You may see a slight increase in size under the fat from strength training, but as you progressively lose the fat you'll get smaller again, and as you lose the fat and reveal strong muscles, you'll look fit and lean, not bulky.

You should definitely start strength training now... you need to look after your lean mass as you lose fat. If you don't, you'll lose lean mass along with the fat, and it's a lot harder to get it back again. As you're in your 40s, there's more risk of that, and it's very important for your bone health as well, because loss of lean mass = loss of bone density. So by doing strength training, you're helping to maintain both bone density and lean muscle, which people tend to lose as they age. If you just diet without strength training, then you risk losing lean mass and bone density, which means when you get to goal weight you won't look as good as you'd have done if you'd done strength training all along, and it's hard to get that back again if you only start strength training later on... plus any loss of lean mass or bone density is bad news health wise. So definitely keep on with the strength training, ignore your friends trying to tell you otherwise, and measure your food portions carefully to ensure you're in a deficit (not too big a deficit) so you can lose the fat, while looking after your muscle.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    If you're 43 then you need to start some form of strength training, like, yesterday. Because use it or lose it.

And most people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to strength training because they hear things they read someplace, and much of that is mostly hearsay based on half truths and old wive's tales.

You'll be fine. Keep on lifting!
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you're 43 then you need to start some form of strength training, like, yesterday. Because use it or lose it.

And most people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to strength training because they hear things they read someplace, and much of that is mostly hearsay based on half truths and old wive's tales.

You'll be fine. Keep on lifting!

Heck I'm 53 with about 10 - 20 more pounds to lose. I started lifting last year. Best decision I ever made.
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see someone else with this question/problem. I started SL in November with a friend and then backed off in January and focused on cardio during January and February. I restarted yesterday. My friend refused saying that if she started lifting again it would just make her fat pooch out even more. I weigh 291 and am eating under my cals and doing 45-60 mins of cardio on days I don't lift with 30 mins of walking or basketball after I lift.
    I know in the two months I lifted before I quit I lost inches. No pounds but inches.
    I'm hoping that my friend is wrong and that lifting while I'm fat int going to hurt my weight loss progress.
  • gixbr
    gixbr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I recommend you read New Rules of Lifting for Women. I don't follow their workout plan but it's such an educational read about heavy lifting for women, they explain all the "science" behind strength training and why all women should be doing it.

After you're done reading the book you should "innocently" bring up the subject again with your friends and just give them a lesson on it :bigsmile:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see someone else with this question/problem. I started SL in November with a friend and then backed off in January and focused on cardio during January and February. I restarted yesterday. My friend refused saying that if she started lifting again it would just make her fat pooch out even more. I weigh 291 and am eating under my cals and doing 45-60 mins of cardio on days I don't lift with 30 mins of walking or basketball after I lift.
    I know in the two months I lifted before I quit I lost inches. No pounds but inches.
    I'm hoping that my friend is wrong and that lifting while I'm fat int going to hurt my weight loss progress.

This article explains some as to why you may be noticing inches lost, but not losing weight on the scale. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I am super interested as well. I have like 50 lb to lose, and I am torn between wan to do cardio for losing weight vs lifting, which I actually like. Many women around here started lifitng heavy AFTER they were close to goal fa level. There is very little example of the ladies with a lot to lose and lifitng heavy.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for over a year, and I still have probably 35lbs to lose. I've already lost 30lbs from when I started lifting. I don't think I've gotten bigger.

Here are some of my progress pics:
    Novembercomparisonside_zps086a952c.jpg
    March2014sidecomparison_zps92a27a34.jpg
  • gixbr
    gixbr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am super interested as well. I have like 50 lb to lose, and I am torn between wan to do cardio for losing weight vs lifting, which I actually like. Many women around here started lifitng heavy AFTER they were close to goal fa level. There is very little example of the ladies with a lot to lose and lifitng heavy.

I think there are a lot of people here who have a lot to lose, myself for example. My goal is to lose around 40lbs but that was before, now I want to get in to a size 6 jeans and will be happy with my weight when I get there. I'm overweight and only started SL two weeks ago but I already feel stronger and pants feel a little bit looser. I have no doubts straight training will take me to where I want to be.

By the way, I ditched the scale this time around. I know I get super down when I don't lose nearly as much as I was hoping to lose and that really gets to me so I don't know my starting weight but one thing is for sure: I feel great!
  • CorkGirl76
    CorkGirl76 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing. I am very overweight but eating at a deficit and just into week 5 of strong lifts. I won't lie, the weight isn't coming off but I have noticed my arms are firmer and my waist is smaller. I am putting the lack of weight loss down to newbie gains.

Also I just squatted 112 lbs yesterday and I am so in love with it!
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

You may want to check out some of the ladies that have posted in this thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1214103-mad-march-workout-check-in-thread
    Many have lost 40 lbs or more. Lifting has helped me lose 24 lbs (I started lifting last year at age 53).
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I've been lifting for over a year, and I still have probably 35lbs to lose. I've already lost 30lbs from when I started lifting. I don't think I've gotten bigger.

Novembercomparisonside_zps086a952c.jpg
    March2014sidecomparison_zps92a27a34.jpg
    Thanks for sharing! Amazing results! It is interesting that I am "only" 206 lb , but I look more like you ate 232 lb.
  • Rashmi_mishra
    Rashmi_mishra Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat - into strength training and learn from this group! Just started a month back. I currently train on weight machines and am scared of the barbell! Reading and learning about this and hope to get into lifting!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing! Amazing results! It is interesting that I am "only" 206 lb , but I look more like you ate 232 lb.
    Not sure how tall you are, but I have the benefit of being 5'8". And honestly, after being on this site for so long, everyone carries their weight differently. I'll never look like anyone else at their weight. And I've accepted that. It's still annoying though when someone looks fantastic, but they're at my weight (granted, they're usually taller and younger than me).
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    Not sure how tall you are, but I have the benefit of being 5'8". And honestly, after being on this site for so long, everyone carries their weight differently. I'll never look like anyone else at their weight. And I've accepted that. It's still annoying though when someone looks fantastic, but they're at my weight (granted, they're usually taller and younger than me).
    I am 5'7" or maybe 5'7.5" so very close in height. I carry my weight kind of weirdly , mainly in upper arm and lower body. my thighs circumference almost as big as my waistline.