More...

Options
jmnicholas
jmnicholas Posts: 58 Member
We are currently going through a tough time in our congregation. We are dwindling in finance, and in numbers. However, we serve a big God, and our part is for more...

Pray more... I find it hard to do this. We are setting up prayer triplets to help though...

Do more... Well, there is a limit for us all but I don't want to be a spectator in Christian life, so if I can, I'll visit more, do more serving, open my house more, lose more weight to get me healthier...

Give more...finance, time, hospitality, encouragement...I may be financially giving all God has asked of me, but am I giving of the other things he has blessed me with - time, home, talents...

Invite more...how can others get to know my amazing frien God, if I donot invite them into my life, my church congregation...so I've been trying to do this. So far, no one I've invited has come along, but I'm praying....

I am a woman of faith, with limited wisdom, but I want to encorage you all to look at your lives, as I have, to identify the 'more' God is asking of you, and to pray for my congregation and our quest for 'more' at this crisis time...

J

Replies

• Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Invite more...how can others get to know my amazing frien God, if I donot invite them into my life, my church congregation...so I've been trying to do this. So far, no one I've invited has come along, but I'm praying....

I am a woman of faith, with limited wisdom, but I want to encorage you all to look at your lives, as I have, to identify the 'more' God is asking of you, and to pray for my congregation and our quest for 'more' at this crisis time...

J

Remember that we are called to plant the seeds, though others may see the harvest. You are doing the inviting. Those seeds will take root in the 'right soil', and God will bring the harvest. Trust Him for that.

My hubbie and I helped God to plant a small church in a poor, high desert community. We were only a handful of souls on that first Sunday morning in our living room. We started inviting folks and encourage our small church family to spread the Word among their neighbors, family and friends. Within a month, we had 30 people in our garage/sanctuary, because our living room could not handle that number. In less than a year, we were 90 in a new rented building; and then, we had to rent a second building just to hold the children's church which was growing even faster. By the time that we were called to help with another church, my hubbie passed the mantle of the pastorate to our new, younger pastors with a church family of more than 150, including 45 youth. That was only 3 years from that first service in the living room.

All we did was stay faithful to Our Lord, keep praying and keeping 'spreading seeds'. We waited upon the Lord to provide the increase...and He did.

Stay strong in your service, Sis; and I will pray for you and your church.
  • jmnicholas
    Options
    Just wanted to encourage those who've been praying. We have one new church member, and have also had 5 visitors at our guest service this afternoon. God is good...signs of him moving are so encouraging!
  • jmnicholas
    Options
    Update...

The trustees of the church have given the pastor notice as they do not think there is sufficient money to pay him into the new year. All the visitors we have had have decided to join another local fellowship (in the next town), but still come to our congregation when we're doing a 'Messy Church' as they want to meet people from our village, so will not really be members of our church.

I'm feeling very discouraged.
  • bluetulip4
    bluetulip4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Will pray, God is faithful to those to lean on him. 10 yrs ago we were a small congregation of about 200 but our church leaders had a vision of outreaching to the community. Everyone prayed worked hard in their area of gifting and now we are a church of 800 and have recently opened a large auditorium to seat 650 and 3 services on Sunday. It was a long journey and alot of hard work on our part in raising funds but God can make things happen.
  • kimmieb2u
    kimmieb2u Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A prayer for you:
    Father God, I pray for jmnicholas and her congregation. I ask that you would renew her joy and remove discouragement. You are our Sovereign Lord, the One who is in control, who provides, who strengthens and heals. I ask that you would provide so that the pastor can continue to do his job. Thank you God for helping us to stand, to encourage, to bless, to share. In Jesus' name. Amen.

I have been in the situation that you are in. We couldn't pay our pastor for quite a few months (8). It was so hard. It is so difficult when you are doing all you can and still there's not enough. However, this too shall pass. God is sovereign and He is the true provider for both you and your pastor. His love never fails us. I will keep you in mind and in my prayers.
  • jmnicholas
    Options
    Thanks so much Kimmieb2.

There was a meeting today regarding the future of the church. The pastor's notice now runs to the end of February, so that's marginally better. God has big plans for our community, but we are considering that it may not be in the manner our congregation has been. God will build His church. I'll just be His witness, and work on making disciples....
  • kimmieb2u
    kimmieb2u Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that the LORD blesses our work, no matter what title comes with the job, if any! lol

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Gal. 6:9

One thing God has spoken,
    two things I have heard:
    “Power belongs to you, God,
    and with you, Lord, is unfailing love”;
    and, “You reward everyone
    according to what they have done.” Psalm 62:11-12

So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

One thing I know. God keeps His word--always. That's not a quote, it's just a fact.

Blessings,

Kim
  • jmnicholas
    Options
    Thanks.
  • jmnicholas
    Options
    Still working on that 'More' for God.

My husband and I have left the congregation. It was a really tough decision, but my husband's employment with the church also came to an end at the end of February. If we had stayed, it would've been difficult as if he had disagreed with any decisions then it would have appeared as 'sour grapes'.

Pray for us as we look for a new church, and for the church we've left, that they would thrive.

God has plans for our village, just maybe not in the way we'd thought.

Jo
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Praying for you. People can be disagreeable and difficult, God is never that. He wants us to thrive and be happy. I will say a prayer for your prosperity and happiness.