Megs Miles

Options
rduhlir
rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
Don't know if everyone has seen this on Facebook, but I wanted to get the word out about this movement that is happening.

We lost a fellow runner this past week, due to a drunk driver. Meg Menzies, a mother of three, was killed by a drunk driver on Monday morning during her run. She was an avid member of the Richmond Road Runner's Club. To raise awareness of drunk driving, texting while driving, and runner/cyclist road safety, people are being asked to dedicated their runs this Saturday in her honor. To join the movement check out Meg's Miles Facebook page or follow on Tweeter at #megsmiles.

Last night when I last saw the page over 28,000 runners from all over the world had dedicated runs in her honor.

Replies

• RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I saw this message on my Facebook feed this morning. I will run in her honor on Saturday morning. I have 8 miles scheduled.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    My running group is dedicating our Saturday morning group run in her honor.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    :( what a ****ing waste of life

will look/share on FB
  • Jhs1987
    Jhs1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I saw it on FB and will be running Saturday in her honor as well. So very sad....
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    Saw this as well. Very sad. There have been multiple times where I've had to bail off the shoulder of the road and into the bushes as a driver with their head buried in their phone careens towards me. We runner types have really got to be defensive while we're out there in the trenches, and assume drivers don't see us. Because it seems quite often, they don't.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    So true. I rarely ever run with music because you can't depend on anyone to assume they know you are there. The only time I do is with my long run or on a treadmill, and everyone else around me gets to listen when I run outside. I don't wear headphones except when on a treadmill. My group runs and the runs with Memphis Runners and Breakaway have banned headphones because of safety reasons. And it isn't just about the drivers either, you can't hear cyclists or other runners around you. We have had one of the athletic wheelchair people actually run over a runner because the runner had headphones on and couldn't hear him behind her. He went to go adjust but she darted in front of him and CRASH. Sent him flying out of the chair and broke her leg....needless to say she learned to not use headphones lol.
  • FiftyandGettingBetter
    Options
    I'm at a dilemma, for my training plan calls for me to do 5 miles, but I already signed up for (and have paid) for a 5k... in either case, I'll be running for her!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    SIgned up and sent an invitation to all my running friends as well

My heart goes out to her family...
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    signed up! got my long run.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I just signed up too!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    if you guys are running you can tag your are where you will be running on Saturday
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm not on Facebook but I found out about it through the RunnersWorld website. I'll be running as well. Thanks for posting!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this, I'm in for 6.2
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm at a dilemma, for my training plan calls for me to do 5 miles, but I already signed up for (and have paid) for a 5k... in either case, I'll be running for her!

With warm-up and cool-down you will be well over 5 miles
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

With warm-up and cool-down you will be well over 5 miles

No doubt. 5K race for me usually ends up around 9 miles.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I got 13 miles scheduled for tommorow's long run!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've got 20 scheduled for tomorrow, with a friend. We've signed up and are dedicating them in her honor.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Ran 8 miles today. Thought about Meg several times on my run. Thought about road safety. Scary how fast a life can be taken by a distracted or drunk driver.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I did 3 with my son this evening.
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ran 8 K for #MegsMiles today! Beautiful day out there