mini newbies?

Options
I signed up for the mini. Figured if I live in this town, I gotta do it someday. So 2014 it is.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Angie

Replies

• cjbooth
    Options
    I did the 5k portion last year. The mini will be my first half marathon. I am doing the training series with BlueMile in Greenwood.
  • heatherlsi
    heatherlsi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Start where you are mileage wise and build up slowly... the training series runs are also a good way to gauge your progress... The YMCA has a mini marathon training program if you want a group to train with... =)
  • jenellis77
    jenellis77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for the mini and it will be my first half marathon. I'm nervous and been having trouble deciding whether to do it or not, but decided to just go for it! I'm sure it will be a run/walk for me! Also signed up for training with Blue Mile in Greenwood.
  • DargDog
    DargDog Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have done two Mini's and am signed up for this year as well. I walked the first two, depending on where I am at training wise, it will either be a walk/run or a full run- TBD

The event is a blast- bands playing along the route, doing a lap at IMS, and the big party finish at Military Park!!
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The 2008 Mini was my first half marathon. Since then I have done several half marathons, including the mini 2 other times (2010 and 2013). I will be running it again this year. It is a crowded race, you will never be alone on the course no matter how fast or slow you are. I have trained with Indy Runners in the past and highly recommend. They do their group long runs on Tuesday night at Butler. I think the first long run is next week.

Good luck! If you have any questions, I will try to answer them.
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    I start my training plan next week. It's the Train like a Mother finish it plan. I heard it's not a race you'll get a PR in because it's so crowded. I really don't care, as I just want to enjoy the atmosphere. Do they give tips on where to park and how early to get there? I'm more worried about the logistics of it all.

Angie
  • Ebcanada
    Ebcanada Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm with you Angie. Living in Indy I feel like its a must do, but most I've talked to say its not that great of a race. I picked the Monumental as my first (and so far only) 1/2 and loved it. At some point will add it to the accomplishment list but probably not this year.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My husband and I prefer to park at the mall. It is a bit of a longer walk but gives us a chance to warm up and cool down and keeps us away from the crowds.

If you are bringing 65 from the north, use the Meridian exit. The West street exit gets really backed up.

Hopefully the new wave start can elevate the congestion in the beginning. And even though the crowds make it hard to. PR, my husband has PR'd at the Mini twice.

I also enjoy the Monumental (have done it twice). I also enjoyed Geist and surprised myself with a PR - hills bring out the fight in me and actually speed me up! I did Carmel in it's first year (2011) and found it to be decent, albeit fairly average. I am signed up to do it again this year. I have yet to do the Indianapolis Half at Fort Ben. I should try to work it in this fall.
  • kmcd83
    kmcd83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the mini. Figured if I live in this town, I gotta do it someday. So 2014 it is.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Angie

Under the same exact logic I signed up for this year's as well. I've done more 5K's than I can count but 13.1 miles is an entirely different story. But you never know until you try! See you all in May!
  • cjbooth
    Options
    Good luck to any one doing the 5k training series race this weekend. It looks like we will have some more snow but hopefully not as cold.
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    Thanks for all the info and advice. I'm looking forward to May!

Angie