Yoopers!

Options
Figured I'd start a UP thread -- I've read through the "where in Michigan" one but rarely see any from the UP so figured this would make it easier. Share where you are from, what you do for fun, any races you've participated in/or know of in the UP, and anything else UP related...

I was raised in Manistique and moved back to the UP (Engadine) almost 9 years ago. The only UP race I've participated in is the local Black Bear Run (on 4th of July).. I'm a walker (only) and love that they have a separate walking division. It's a killer course (for your time) because 3/4 of the 6K (they also have a 12K run) is mostly on sand..

Replies

• jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Apparently we are really rare on here! LOL!

I am a transplant from the south (grew up in Oklahoma) but we have lived in the Ontonagon area for almost 7 years now. I love it here! :smile:

I have run a few local-ish races. I've done the Spring Classic in Norway, Breakers to Bay in Houghton, 4th of July 5k in Greenland, and the Ed Hansen in Ontonagon. Not going to be doing much racing this year as I'm having a baby in June. I might do the Ed Hansen (in September) and there is a new trail half-marathon/marathon at the Porcupine Mountains this year. If all goes well I might try the half.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UP and will be moving back in December after graduation from Central Michigan. I am SOOOOOOOOOO beyond excited to finally spend a winter up there again being able to ski, ski race, and snowshoe! Living down here in troll land with little snow has killed me the past 3 winters!
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Not from the UP but I want to be, does that count??

I currently live in Traverse City. And I fall in love with the UP every time we go to play hockey there. My dream is to eventually move to the Marquette area.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Born in the city of Detroit, raised in Wakefield. Strictly Lower P though after high school graduation. Of course always love my visits there over the years, it is a special place.
  • skierxjes
    Options
    I'm from Bessemer :)
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My husband is from the U.P. - Escanaba area, his family is still there. We go up to visit atleast 3-4 times a year (we live in Lansing). I LOVE it up there! We will probably move up there eventually. Not sure of any races though...aside from the few that are on Mackinac Island. I think there is one this weekend?
  • kenziberry
    kenziberry Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    marquette woooohoooooo!!!!!
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Marquette as well looking for fellow MFPers in the area for fitness/run group friend me!
    Races I have ran this year- ymca 10miler, firecracker 5k, BBBS 2mile, Blackrocks 5k, another 10k, ARMY 10 MILER in Washington, DC!
    I play hockey, run and starting up T25 next week!
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    marquette woooohoooooo!!!!!

me tooo!
  • skierxjes
    Options
    We MUST have more yoopers on this page.... No?!
  • looneytunes32
    looneytunes32 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Not from the UP but we love it up there. My husband really wants to move to Escanaba. We all love that community park (Ludington Park I think it's called?) you have.
  • puff_into_tuff
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am from Hancock. Born and raised here. :)
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just found this place! I am from Minnesota, but have lived in the Houghton-Hancock area since 1986.

I have never been in any type of race, but who knows?

Lisa
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Not from the UP, but pretty much feel like a yooper after my 5 years up in Houghton while attending MTU. Not to mention the many random road trips before and after that.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Not from the UP, but pretty much feel like a yooper after my 5 years up in Houghton while attending MTU. Not to mention the many random road trips before and after that.

Hi. I work at MTU, and I have a son living in Ann Arbor.

Lisa
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

A fellow MTU grad here too!
  • arabianhorselover
    Options

A fellow MTU grad here too!

I am married to an MTU grad, and two of my sons are attending now.