what has your running club done for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    good to hear your experiences, mostly very positive!

but it seems extra cruel that after the excitement of the new running club I am supposed to sit around resting my strained soleus indefinitely

It goes both ways. If your are close with your club and they know you have an injury they will actually help hold you back when needed. They know that injuries need time to heal and will help ease you back in.
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend a running club. First, it's fun. Second, they'll probably be the only people on the planet who will listen to you when you start talking PR's, hydration packs, marathon tapers and blah blah blah. It helps to have friends who share your obsession!
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    I definitely recommend a running club. First, it's fun. Second, they'll probably be the only people on the planet who will listen to you when you start talking PR's, hydration packs, marathon tapers and blah blah blah. It helps to have friends who share your obsession!

yes! and only today did I remember that I have access to UK Athletics coaches and advice about recovering from injuries etc so it was great to get their input too
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Mine gave me a cool race calendar and secret membership card that gets me into their sponsored races for free

9O537lAl.jpg
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    hmm nice calendar and secret membership card :huh:

but I do get: £1 to £2 off UK race entry fees, £5 off physio, membership of british triathlon something or other (this will be even more useful once I learn how to swim?) and I think that's it . . . except for discounts at local gyms and sports shops
  • tificreole
    tificreole Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You are all so lucky in the US... My membership to my run club is AUD350.00 a year. What we get here is nothing like you have. It includes advice and weekly running sessions plus a running singlet. Anything else is extra and no discount... I enjoy the friendship I make and having a buddy to run with on my long runs...
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    So, I'm in an old fashioned club in the UK and I get:

Affiliation to UK Athletics (subsidised race entry, some free coaching and training sessions)
    Free entry to club races
    Access to club facilities (training runs & "clubhouse")
    Discounts at local running shops and Physio's

And most importantly I get:

Running and support of other club members which has changed my running more than I could have ever done.

The cost of this is £20 a year, given that we get 15% off in the local running shops this is soon recovered! I'm not sure how the club manage to do so much for so little but they do!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about joining my local running club but the 2 runs they do during the week are at times I can not join them. Bummer. :(
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    We have a really informal running group in our town. There's no membership fee or list of members and any level of runner or walker is welcome. If you join their fb page or show up for a run, you're part of the group. All group runs are posted on fb, and the page is open to anyone. The more who show up, the better!

I'm nearly always the slowest one there, but that doesn't bother me. Telling others that I will be there for a run is often the motivation I need to stick with my planned run. And our runs usually start and end at one of the local bars so we can always refuel afterward! A cold beer always tastes best after a good run! I also bike, kayak and ski with running group friends.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I love my running club, been running with them for 3 years. I had just completed c25k and not run anything beyond 3 miles. I took a brief break from running in 2012 and started running with them end of 2012. I got encouraged to sign up to a 10 miler and haven't looked back! ran five halfs last year and running two full marathons this year.

My club have helped me to get quicker ( from 12 mi/ miles to just under 9 min/mile) and I have made some amazing friends. I also joined the committee so help to run local races/ events/ train new people etc. All good fun. We also go on regular road trips for races etc.

You have to find the right club, try a few and see which ones suit you. If you have a bad experience with one, try another one. I would definitely recommend it!
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    am not even a fully paid up member yet (this is only because the appointed time for new members to sign up each year hasn't arrived) but it was one of the coaches from the club who met me at the gym today and put together some weight training for me to do, and also introduced me to the joy and wonder of 'running' on an adaptive motion trainer without pain, and also lots of advice for when I return to running properly

am so pleased

love this club, everyone who wants to should try one! (also get a nice discount at the gym)
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MY RUNNING CLUB.

The Memphis Runner's Track Club (MRTC), is a staple in the Memphis community. They have a hand in the majority of the races throughout the Mid-south region. Membership is only $25 a year, and you get a 10% discount on a lot of races, 10% at Breakaway (the local running store), they hold member's only races (usually at the parties or BBQs), and you get a quarterly magazine (The Roadrunner) that tells you all about the happenings coming up, the running groups through out the area, and one of the members is a coach over at the University of Memphis and offers free coached speed work at the UofM track.

MRTC offers a Women's Run/Walk program during the summer, and it ranges from walker's to advanced runners, which has won several RRCA awards. They also do a children's running program in the fall. They hold the local race records for the area and keep track of where members run and print marathon times in the magazines.

We are neighbors:) I live outside of Memphis(Tipton County) and haven't joined yet. I drive to Memphis for races but have a hard time with the idea of driving for training runs. I should join for the discount and magazine alone.