push ups

Options
Vmg773
Vmg773 Posts: 49 Member
Hello,

I can't do a push up. I can flop to the ground and get myself back up, but it still looks a little wormy. When i take out the flop to the ground part, I can only go down about half way. I don't think it's a strength thing, i think it's a mobility/brain thing.On my knees, which is a slightly different movement, I have no problems.

Anyone know anything about it?

Replies

• vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do push ups (strict) when I started. My coach had me do negatives - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8FHZ63RKfU

From that I do the same, but now can worm up more quickly and also now when I start I can get a couple strict in as well.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    What makes you think it's not a strength thing? Doing a push up on your knees gives you a much shorter level to work from and therefore makes the movement easier. Same as doing bench dips with your legs straight or knees bent - knees bent puts your point of contact closer to you/the bench, giving you a shorter lever and an easier movement.

Try doing full push ups without going full depth. So stay on your toes, but use an ab mat or a couple of bumper plates as a depth marker. Hit the marker each time, making sure it's still difficult but doable, and that should help to build up your strength in that movement and with the body position. Over time you can use a smaller depth marker until you've built up to hitting the floor for full depth.

Also, be careful with doing 'wormy' push ups as it can put a lot of unwanted strain on your lower back. You'd be better off doing them half-depth but keeping your back straight and core tight.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend doing pushups from the knee personally, but instead do them at an incline. Like put your hands on a bench and feet on the ground. You may even need to use something higher.

The reason I say don't use knees is because it almost completely takes out the need for keeping your core tight and move as one unit, which is what it sounds like you need to work on the most.

Eventually You can move to lower surfaces. Good luck!
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Btw, that's how I had to start out too. I could do like 1 real pushup, but for a wod would do them at an incline. Now I can do 30 strict pushups unbroken!
  • Vmg773
    Vmg773 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    great suggestion, i'm going to try that tonight!