Gender secrecy

Options
I think the best surprise in the world is when you're delivering and the doctor finally says "It's a ____. "

With my first pregnancy, both my husband and I wanted to wait, but eventually gave in around 6 months due to family pressure to find out the gender.

Determined to keep it a secret with my second, I waited all 10 months (40 weeks = 10 months in my mind)....and while I was in labor, my doctor says "Don't worry HE's going to be just as handsome as his Dad when he comes out." I couldn't believe she let it slip at the very last moment!!

This time I am definitely not finding out and will make sure all my doctors, midwives, ultrasound techs, and nurses at the hospital know to keep the gender a surprise. I have an 8-year-old girl and a 4-year-old boy, so I have been blessed with one of each already. I am just praying for a healthy baby :smile:

Replies

• amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree with you on this being the best surprise in the world! And I was determined all along, in conversations while we were trying to get pregnant that I wanted to wait to find out the gender.

That all changed about a week after we found out we are expecting! LOL! For us, it is our first child.

We have 6 nephews already and there is immense pressure from both sides of the family for a baby girl (like we have much say in it ... but I am sure you all know what I'm talking about!)

I think planning and preparing for baby will be much easier once we learn the gender, and that is the main reason that I finally agree with my husband, and we will find out the gender.
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    I understand completely Amy. There's a lot more to prepare when it's your first. Good luck!
  • LuluA85
    LuluA85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's such a personal thing isn't it?! I think for us, in my first pregnancy, the sex really had no bearing on anything. I love dressing newborns in white regardless and I wanted to get "gender neutral" baby stuff anyway, so that it could all be used again for future babies whatever they turned out to be.

I was lucky that my husband didn't want to know either, neither of us had any desire to find out all. In fact we would have been fuming if we had found out! But this time around I'm already feeling tempted. We had a little girl last time, and despite my best efforts to steer away from the pink and purple-ness, it's been a bit inevitable! I always thought I'd be desperate for a boy next, so we could have one of each, a boy for Daddy etc., but now that I have a daughter I would love for her to have a sister too. So anything goes!! As long as it sticks in there and is healthy.

So we won't find out. Even though I am v tempted, I still think like you IndianMuslim, there are so few real surprises left in life.... and we wouldn't do or buy anything differently even if we did know. But how much fun would it be to be able to decorate and go shopping with a certain little person in mind!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    We're planning on finding out, but we're not going to tell anyone that we know... or if they do find out that we know, we're not going to tell them if it's a boy or a girl. :)

Sure, there are so few surprises in life, but I'd still like to know. :) No one on either side of our families has found out the gender of the baby before, so I really don't anticipate anyone asking. :)
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I plan to find out. Because I am too curious. That's the only reason. To know that someone else knows more about my baby than I do would drive me nuts.
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a shared dislike of the color pink.

We will not find out the sex.

:)
  • syntaria
    syntaria Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I plan to find out. Because I am too curious. That's the only reason. To know that someone else knows more about my baby than I do would drive me nuts.

I totally understand that! We'll find out. For us it's a joyful surprise whether I know at 20 weeks or at 40. :)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options

I totally understand that! We'll find out. For us it's a joyful surprise whether I know at 20 weeks or at 40. :)

^^ True, true! I like that thought. I think I will share it when my family asks me why I found out. (Oh, and they will....)
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I agree with it being a surprise whether you find out during or at the end, plus finding out during gives you time to prepare.
    I might would wait until delivery if I were financially stable enough to buy everything I need at spot price after the birth. But, I am nowhere close to that. I need as much time as possible to bargain, clearance and sale shop.
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    .... We had a little girl last time, and despite my best efforts to steer away from the pink and purple-ness, it's been a bit inevitable! I always thought I'd be desperate for a boy next, so we could have one of each, a boy for Daddy etc., but now that I have a daughter I would love for her to have a sister too. So anything goes!! As long as it sticks in there and is healthy...

I am the same. Have 1 girl, want a boy just so I can have one of each but my daughter really wants a sister.
    I am hoping for a boy, but will be happy either way.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I plan on finding out the gender as soon as we have the chance! I'd like to do something cute to tell the families what the sex is, but there is no way we would be able to wait until birth to find out! I am such a planner. It'd drive me insane to not know. I'm hoping for a girl, but i'll be happy either way!
  • jmyrtle
    jmyrtle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We have one of each boy & a girl ,and are holding out on #3 to wait for the surprise! Sorry to hear how your doctor sullied the beans so close to the end.
  • Nike13
    Nike13 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Until I was pregnant I was sure I would wait til delivery day to find out if I was going to have a boy or girl but then I was pregnant and my husband did a little convincing. Granted he didn't have to do a lot, it's our first little one and we're both really excited so we're getting an early peak at munchkin. Plus, I want to go full boy or girl with the nursery and have that all ready. I've seen some nice gender neutral nurseries but if we have a little girl, we're going full princess (hubby's idea actually).

I was expecting my parents to be disappointed that I wouldn't wait (my mom was always big on the delivery room surprise) but even they keep asking when our 20wk ultrasound is. Funny how first grandbaby changes things :) I'm just happy everyone's so excited.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 weeks away from my 20 week scan (i'll be nearly 21 weeks) and i'm dying to know. The hubby and I haven't bought ANYTHING and it's killing me. I feel like knowing the sex of the baby and being able to pick a name will really help with the bonding process. I just want to know what i'm having! I also can't wait to start on the nursery!
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    I definitely get finding out for the baby naming process. My husband and I have agreed on a girl name, but we can't seem to agree on a boy name. Sometimes I think if I just find out the sex, and it's a girl, I don't have to stress out so much anymore. If it's a boy, we better start compiling a list of contending names now.

My 20 week ultrasound is tomorrow. I'll let you guys know if I cave in ;)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    All the best! :) Don't cave in!!
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Did you cave? What is it? I want to know! :