Double Unders...

Options
2»

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^I'm sure your calves are screaming at you afterwards as opposed to doing them on a floor.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Here's a great DUBS progression tutorial from Again Faster...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1NfxgmzT4
  • jsdcap
    jsdcap Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1NfxgmzT4

Thanks, I was kind of punished for not be able to do DU the WOD called for 15 DU, but I had to do 60 Single unders
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Oh btw my coach TRIPLES the amount of double unders for those doing singles :noway: ... he's ex marines... you can tell!!

Same here!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    The rope makes a HUGE difference. First: it needs to be properly sized, ESPECIALLY if you are learning. Once you have them, the length isn't such a big deal, but at first it's critical. Second: weight matters. A heavier rope will serve you a little better. Third: it's all about timing. Remember; SLOW JUMP-- FAST WHIP.

Stay calm when you are jumping. All of the movement should come from your wrists. Hold the rope by the tips of the handles and keep your hands close to your body. If your hands travel out the rope shortens and you'll trip yourself.

YOU MUST PRACTICE AT HOME. You will not magically get DU during a WOD. Give yourself a goal of 100 DU a day. I'm not kidding. 100!

They just take time. This is one of the few Crossfit movements that is 100% SKILL.

LOL someone showed me how to do a double under today in a WOD for the first time and after practicing on my own for 3 months, I immediately got double unders. Now I just need to string them together. I get your point, but I think it's very important to have someone tell you a) how to do it and b) what you look like doing it. I didn't even know I was doing today them until someone told me I was doing them. I can't tell. I watched tons of videos and couldn't figure it out on my own. As soon as someone told me, "count 1-2, 1-2" it was immediate.

Sorry to revive this thread but I was just wanting to share that my experience with DU's today was totally opposite of everything I had read on the internet. I just needed someone to show me how to do it right and to correct me instead of teaching myself how to do it incorrectly, repeatedly.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

And the fact that at our box if you cannot do doubles you have to do five times as many singles provided motivation, too!

Ok. I'll stop complaining that our box makes us do 3x the amount of singles.
  • boxfitliftmo
    Options
    Theres a good video on youtube by dan bailey regarding double unders...

A few tips that will help you be more efficient, the rest i agree is down to cooordination... only way to get it is practice, practice and practice..
  • kathheen
    kathheen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So pleased to say i got the double unders yaaay! Practice practice practice, ok so i cant do anymore than 15 at a time but im getting there. I watched you tube videos, bought a crossfit rope, which was way too thin to be starting with it was sooo painful when i whipped my legs or bum, so used a slightly thicker one which i still use but im getting there :happy:
    thanks to you all for the advice x
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    So pleased to say i got the double unders yaaay! Practice practice practice, ok so i cant do anymore than 15 at a time but im getting there. I watched you tube videos, bought a crossfit rope, which was way too thin to be starting with it was sooo painful when i whipped my legs or bum, so used a slightly thicker one which i still use but im getting there :happy:
    thanks to you all for the advice x

Congrats!