DrNadya's Bulking Log

Options

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    The red=bad green =good thing doesn't help those of us who customise our diaries!

Though as I tend to overeat in my old life it's keeping things at bay.

Good luck in fighting the restriction mindset!
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The red-green thing drives me mental too! I have actually put my net calorie target at 100 above what I probably need in order to try and avoid extra restricting to stop the dreaded red - LOL!

Feel rotten today, being on nights has meant my body clock is screwed and I have not been to the gym for 2 days, so I am stressing about not fitting all my workouts in this week. I can do a double session tomorrow - lunch pump/spin/weights, eve combat/spin/weights - but I hate the feeling sick & off balance that night duty brings.
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    *Sigh*

Good session with the PT today, but he has instructed me to:
    - Cut cardio further
    - Aim for 2,000 K cals after deductions for exercise
    - increase protein from my current 20-25% up to as close to 50% as possible. :sad:

Noooo - I love my yummy carbs :-( I have some protein powder in, but shakes are yucky. I will see if I can make them into a dessert by adding xantha of gelatine? That way perhaps they will feel more like a dessert = a treat.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm always for cutting cardio :D
    and when it comes to making protein into a treat try adding some yoghurt or milk or a mix of both ans than add some type of instant whipped dessert powder (in the uk we got angel delight) whip it all up (I use unflavoured pp for this) and put in the freezer for 5 min! Comes out super delish!!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I see you're on nights too! It's really a pain to go from days to nights and back again, but at least my night job involves free caffeine. :laugh:
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    I'm always for cutting cardio :D
    and when it comes to making protein into a treat try adding some yoghurt or milk or a mix of both ans than add some type of instant whipped dessert powder (in the uk we got angel delight) whip it all up (I use unflavoured pp for this) and put in the freezer for 5 min! Comes out super delish!!

Ooh - had not thought of Angel delight, good idea.

As an experiment I have tonight tried adding a sachet of gelatine to PP (casein) and will see if it sets & what it is like.

As for nights, back on nights next week and not looking forward to it. Unfortunately too much caffeine just makes me jumpy and gives me palpitations, so decaff coffee only for me. I do drink bucket loads of Pepsi Max though, which seems to hit the balance between staying awake and clinging to the ceiling! :tongue:
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    So, exercising less - check
    Calorie goal increase to 2,000 plus eatback exercise - not quite there but eating more than before
    Aiming for 50% protein - again not reaching it but protein intake is higher

Scales: Down again to 51.4kg/113lbs :embarassed:

Stressful week ahead - night shifts and family get-togethers means struggling to cram my workouts in. Not facing my arch nemesis until the end of the week though - the Low box squats. I love normal squats, but I always end up sat on the low box unable to get up again! have to ask a passer by to take pity in me and get me up :sad:
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    How are you figuring your macro set up? You never answered on a thread posted a few days ago but just curious as to why you're consuming/aiming for almost double your BW in protein.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    How are you figuring your macro set up? You never answered on a thread posted a few days ago but just curious as to why you're consuming/aiming for almost double your BW in protein.
    I was wondering this as well....
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    Must confess I queried the amount of protein too, and I am wondering if I misheard my PT. I wonder if he actually said to increase my protein by 50% rather than aim for total protein 50% *Doh* Methinks I had better ask him *LOL*
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Keep us posted!
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    Well a tiny step forward, but a step forward nonetheless. I have cut back the cardio even further (even my beloved Spin with my favourite instructor) and have been trying harder with the food. Setting my goal higher has helped psychologically as I don't hit the 'OMG I might go over my limit' until much more food has been eaten.

Average weight this week is 51.6kg/113.5lb, i.e. 1/2lb up on last week :smile:

Also managed (with terrible form) to deadlift 72.5kg/160lbs, which is just under 1.4x BW. One step closer to the target of 1.5x BW.
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    114.3lbs/52kg, up 400g in a week. Feels a bit fast, and so I feel uncomfortable with it. :ohwell:

I'm probably just being a grump, as my lifts have not gone as well as I would like this week and an old injury is making walking difficult let alone even thinking about doing box squats.

:frown:
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    After not gaining anything for months, my weight jumped up 3lbs last week...
    I think sometimes it just comes in heaps. Keep things as they are and reevaluate after a months or so...
    But I've got to say I don't really care if I gain a lot of fat right now, I'm just happy that something is moving :D

Might just be water though! You're doing good! And the lifts will catch up! Hope the injury is not keeping you back for to long!
  • pandorakick
    Options
    After not gaining anything for months, my weight jumped up 3lbs last week...
    I think sometimes it just comes in heaps. Keep things as they are and reevaluate after a months or so...
    But I've got to say I don't really care if I gain a lot of fat right now, I'm just happy that something is moving :D

Might just be water though! You're doing good! And the lifts will catch up! Hope the injury is not keeping you back for to long!

I agree with this ^^^^ It's very much the same as with dieting down, the weight doesn't come if at a nice even rate, nor will it get on like that.
    Sucks being injured though.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    114.3lbs/52kg, up 400g in a week. Feels a bit fast, and so I feel uncomfortable with it. :ohwell:

I'm probably just being a grump, as my lifts have not gone as well as I would like this week and an old injury is making walking difficult let alone even thinking about doing box squats.

:frown:

400g is less than a pound; it looks like 0.8lb based on your last weight. That actually is a good gain for a week and like 89 said weight gain like weight loss isn't linear so it comes in spurts. Personally, I reeval after a few weeks not a month but it's what your comfortable with and how long you're bulking.

Sorry to hear about your injury!
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    Thanks for the sympathy about the injury - I hate having to dig out the crutches from the loft. Thank goodness can still do spin & upper body weights :wink: Also, being on crutches gives your triceps a mega workout!

Definitely feeling rather 'fluffy' today to put it mildly. Have had another big jump in weight (52.4kg!) and am carrying food quadruplets, despite not taking my net calories hugely higher. I don't think I can blame TOM as it is not due yet :mad:

I am seeing my PT on Thursday, and we are doing a re-evaluation as he feels I am not where I should be - and I agree, I have not made the progress we hoped at all. I hope he re-measures and does BF% as well so I can have the vain hope of having gained some LBM to hold on to.

OK, I will stop being such a moody cow now. I am alive, I have a roof over my head and a cat on my lap, and a gym that is open 24/7 - so things are not so bad really :tongue:

Thanks all of you for talking sense when the fluffy-gremlin attacks!
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    Been on & off crutches all week. Weight still all over the place, and had a test session with PT to find my 1RM with acceptable form.

Results felt disappointingly low, probably because I want so badly to do better :ohwell:

Squat - 65kg/143lbs
    Deadlift - 65kg/143lbs
    Bench - 37.5kg/83lbs

I will have to try and allow myself more recovery/repair time I guess, but it does not feel right to 'work less hard in order to do better'. Luckily I have great mates at the gym who cheered me up, and always help me get things in perspective. :smile:
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    I felt horrendously fluffy all week, with my weight fluctuating by up to 1.4kg :noway: and lost all my muscle definition.:-(

However my definition suddenly returned over the last two days (either that or they have changed all the mirrors at the gym)!

Average weight is 52.2kg/115lb, up 200g

PT has devised a new programme for me. Each day works multiple areas of the body:
    Day 1: high weight low rep
    Day 2: low weight high rep
    Day 3:rest
    Day 4: high weight low rep - but the opposing muscle groups to day 1
    Day 5: Low weight high rep - but the opposing muscle groups to day 2
    Day 6: rest
    And repeat as a 6 day cycle

Looking forward to it, especially as he has included two of my weakest areas - the overhead press, and pull ups. At the moment I can't even do one pull up, but am determined to master them! :devil:
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Your lift weights are about where mine are and I've been lifting for YEARS! I'm jealous, great job!