Not loosing any weight

Options
Hi there! So I started becoming more active and watched what I ate for about 12 days now. And I've only lost 1lb since! I thought the weightloss comes much quicker in the beginning. What am I doing wrong? During the first week I lost 4lbs then one morning I gained it all back thinking it was water retention. Got disappointed so I stopped weighing myself everyday. This morning I decided to step on the scale because I felt like I did so well yesterday and I gained again! Could it be that I'm not burning enough calories? I don't think I understand the whole concept of calorie consumption/burned/net/remaining. I average about 1200 calories/day(food) 300-700 (exercise) so net 500-900calories. Does this mean that that I need to burn the other 500-900 cal? I'm so confused! Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• melbann
    melbann Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi, not sure what you've been eating but they types of calories you put in your body are important. Not all calories are equal, 100 calories of fried chicken may make you gain weight were as 100 calories of veggies will make you lose. (might be a bad example).

Make sure your carbs are from whole grains not white and watch your sodium. If you have too much sodium it makes you retain water which could cause you to weigh more then you should. Also try not eating to many grains after lunch or your afternoon snack. This will allow your body time to burn them off instead of them turning into sugar than fat.

Hope this helps
  • Carlab2014
    Options
    Thanks for your input, the fried chicken is funny! I think I'll wait it out til Monday til I weigh myself again. I think my diet has been considerably healthy. Although I still have my treats everyday (chocolate covered acai- 5pcs and venti soy latte/light coffee frap from Starbucks! No bueno!) Definitely have to do something about that! I xould incorporate more veggies to my diet, ill do that and see if makes a difference. :) thanks again !
  • Carlab2014
    Options
    Now exercise time! :)
  • karen_thinmint
    karen_thinmint Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to eat back some of your exercise cals (this ensures your body doesn't try to "hold on" to cals/energy because of the dramatic drop in nutrients/cals/engery it was getting before the diet are now missing).

Also, when exercising, especially with new routines, your muscles store fluids to help them recover. This could show up on the scale. That's why a lot of people take measurements because our bodies do funny things and the weight may change more erratically than measurements.

Mathematically there's no reason you shouldn't be loosing weight, because your net is so low. It's been 12 days and you've lost 5 pounds, that's huge!! Be proud! Not every loss will be the same, so just keep up the work because you're obviously moving in a great direction :o)
  • Carlab2014
    Options
    Hi Karen, I also read that on another thread. Ill give it a try. My goal is 800 calories a day which means I would I have to eat 1200cal and burn 400. Does that make sense or am I getting all this wrong...? Since jan 1st Ive lost a total of 4lbs. I lost 3lbs the first week and in the last 12 days my weight varied up and down but lost 1lb total. That was when I started exercising. So it makes sense that you say I may need to eat more of the calories I'm burning. Building muscle which is a good thing. :) Frankly I think I'm just getting obsessed with the scale! Decided to weigh myself once/wk. Thank you for your suggestion! :)
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely suggest upping your calorie intake. Probably not eating enough.
  • Carlab2014
    Options
    Hi darrell thank u for the suggestion. I want to give you guys an example and pls tell me what you think I should change.
    Based on my numbers yesterday: Food-1309; Exercise-640.
    Btw I stopped weighing myself lol :)