Off-bike exercises for on-bike improvement?

Options
Austinetc
Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
I think lunges have helped me most. Other suggestions?

Replies

• beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Core for sure!

There is a good book called Cycling Anatomy which shows loads of good weight training and specificity.

But I wish I had started core about 12m before I did.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I've started doing the following once a week (or as time allows);

Sit Ups
    Press Ups
    Various Dumb Bell reps for upper body
    Squats
    Lunges
    Planks

For me, this is to maintain what muscle I have, and strengthen my core.

I've only been doing this since the beginning of the new year so | can't really say if it's working or not, though I'd like to think it is! :happy:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Another vote for core - I use a gym ball a lot.

I also do leg press for quad strength and leg curl (to try and stop myself getting too quad dominant). I would squat if my knees and back allowed me to....

Bodyweight exercises are also a good fit with cycling.

Cardio-wise I like to mix things up but rowing is a really good exercise which carries benefits over to cycling - quad & glute strength plus core and CV work as well.
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Swimming!
    I signed up for a 10 week session of improver lessons in October last year and it lifted my fitness on the bike up so much I have moved up from group B to Group A in my club
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have started a cross-fit regiment - lots of emphasis on core - 3 days a week
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CycleCarolina
    CycleCarolina Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do well with monotony. When off the bike, I'm on the trainer, riding a steady state 90 rpm for 60 minutes. Music.... good music... essential element.
  • ghost15026
    Options
    Another vote for lunges and core work. Obviously, anything that works the quads, glutes, and core for obvious reasons.

The lunges and squats made very noticeable improvement to my hill climbing routines.

I would add stretching/flexiblity to the list as well. Flexibility = Aero = Less Drag = Distance.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    SL 5x5 which i am trying to keep in check. great strenght work out plus core. Problem is the program increases your weighted exercises incrementally so you land up lifting heavy and because you are lifting heavy. It has the tendency to slow you down on the bike.

However it is a great program for weight loss.
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    November and December I was hardcoring it in the gym, doing 5x5 twice a week and 5x15 twice a week mostly on legs (squat, leg extensions, leg curls, calf raises). Thats right 4 leg sessions a week which killed my legs for sure and I didn't really do any riding but I put 29mm on my thigh measurement in 6-7 weeks. Been doing lots of high cadence work since getting back to riding and now I'm climbing like a mountain goat. The 5x15 part really helped my endurance which is handy being as I'm racing mtb endurance, mtb ultras, mtb unsupported ITT's etc.

I'm still doing some leg weights, dead lifting and incline press but 3x10 once a week and eating at a deficit so this is just maintenance really. Most of my off the bike work at the moment is core. Exercises such as: Glute bridge, plank, scissor kicks, Russian twist, weighted hyper-extensions all done as a circuit.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I haven't worked out in years, IMO the only thing that helps cycling is more cycling and proper training. On top of that is diet--if you want to be faster get leaner. Not many 200lbs pros...
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    I hired a coach this off season. He put me on twice a week weights and 5 days a week stationary bike. The weights made all the difference in the world. First time I got out on the road this season I tried one of the climbs from last year and cruised up. The weights vary depending on what the coach is pushing that week, but Goblet squats, lunges, leg presses, hamstring curls and leg extensions are all staples. Flexibility and core strength are the other staples. Can't say enough about the core and flexibility exercises. The strength training and flexibility training limit the severity of injuries as well as improving performance and recovery. The problem with all bike and no weights is your bones will get more fragile because of the decreased stress to the bones. People who ride a lot really should incorporate weights or some other strength training to improve performance as well as reduce injuries.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    I can't agree more with Smeakim about bike time. There is no substitute. I don't care how much weight you lift or how many hours you put on the trainer/spin cycle. There is nothing like bicycling to get better at bicycling. I know that for me, weights have really helped my core and my climbing. Get a trainer/coach and see if weights are right for you. Remember when doing weights that you are looking to strengthen, not build. If you build muscle you add weight. Every pound you put on has to be hauled up that hill and that takes more power. For me, weights was the answer to a plateau I couldn't get past. Let you coach decide if they are right for you.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I think the best off-bike is to rest your muscle groups. Working core is good for keeping your back in proper shape. Weight lifting helps the upper body, too.

Probably the best thing that's helped me on hills is...more hills....lots. Gnarly the better. I also added some new music in my playlist to keep it spicey.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have found that regularly attending Bikram (aka hot) yoga class has noticeably helped me on the bike. It's more of a complimentary exercise - and helps stretch out all those super-tight muscles, like the hammies. And it really helps with core strength and balance. Oh, and it's *great* for building up heat tolerance. (Bikram is done in 105F heat at 40% humidity).

I have also found that using the stationary rowing machine has noticeably tightened up my core & upper body. The advantages are more prominent when mountain biking - the stronger core helps with stuff like climbing & hops. Having a stronger upper body helps with improved control and reducing steering fatigue.