When do you take your supplements?

Options
I have Hashi's and supplement with iron, Vit D ( had a deficiency discovered in spring ), Vit Bs and fish oil. Plus I eat a brasil nut a day for selenium.
Does anyone know whether it matters when I take them? ( apart from the fact that I should not mix my thyroid hormones with the iron supplement )

Replies

• Barrettmomof3
    Barrettmomof3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I take my Thyroid first thing in the am. And take all my vitamins at lunch.
  • KariD1114
    KariD1114 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I take D drops and my doc said to take them at night along with a fish oil. My other supplements I take throughout the day.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I take thyroid meds first thing when I get up, and vitamins at lunch, or if I forget at dinner :)
  • LisaWill86
    LisaWill86 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My levothyroxine has a warning label on it not to take Iron, Folic Acid, or Calcium supplements for at least four hours after...
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Synthroid in the morning when I wake up, Iron and B12 with dinner.
  • rcaselage
    rcaselage Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I take my synthroid first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I then wait and hour and take probiotics, vitamin D and B12, then at Lunch time I take my multivitamins and calcium. You shouldn't take any iron or calcium for 4 hours after your synthroid, it can affect its absorption. At dinner I take fish oil and calcium and at bedtime I take more vitamin d and calcium. I am also hypoParathryroid, that is why I take so much calcium and vitamin d. Your doctor or pharmacist should be able to tell you what is best for you.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Synthroid when I get up....supplements in the afternoon.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I take m armour at night before bed. I was told as long as it has been about 3 hours or so since eating that it is fine at night. If I end up having ice cream or something after dinner I usually bring my pill to bed and take it at 2 or 3 when I make a bathroom run!

The rest I split up try my day. Seems I've become quite the supplement popper this past couple years! I've always taken a good multi and omegas but now I've added magnesium, selenium, vit d, b12, and probiotic! I try to take two every time I fill up my water throughout the day!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    AM:
    metformin
    probiotic
    vit k
    vit d
    vit c
    vit b-12
    auto=immune pills

Noon
    auto=immune pills
    metformin

Bed
    birth control
    anti-anxiety
    auto=immune pills
    metformin
    armour
    synthroid
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Take Synthroid on an empty stomach (at least 2 hours after eating or drinking anything but water) with a full glass of water. Wait one hour before eating or drinking anything but water, and wait at least 3 more hours before taking any supplements (vitamins, minerals, or fiber).

Cytomel should not be taken within 4 hours of iron supplements (including multivitamins). Since it has a short half-life, my endocrinologist has me take it every 12 hours. So I take Synthoid & Cytomel when I wake, supplements after lunch, and more Cytomel in the evening.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Interesting what you say about calcium. I used to take my meds about half an hour before my calcium-heavy breakfast. Now I have at least 2 hours break between them plus use calcium-free milk in my breakfast and feel a bit better.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I've never heard of calcium-free milk.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Take Synthroid on an empty stomach (at least 2 hours after eating or drinking anything but water) with a full glass of water. Wait one hour before eating or drinking anything but water, and wait at least 3 more hours before taking any supplements (vitamins, minerals, or fiber).

Cytomel should not be taken within 4 hours of iron supplements (including multivitamins). Since it has a short half-life, my endocrinologist has me take it every 12 hours. So I take Synthoid & Cytomel when I wake, supplements after lunch, and more Cytomel in the evening.
    Sorry, I've just clarified the Cytomel/iron timing with my endocrinologist.

You must wait 4 hours after taking iron, but the Cytomel leaves your stomach after half an hour.

Sorry for the confusion!