5 Days Post Op - Words of Encouragement Needed

Options
I had my surgery on Monday 1/13/14 and came home the next day. I have experienced quite a bit of pain all week now and am having difficulty sleeping since I am a stomach sleeper and can't do that right now. The only nourishment I've had over the past few days is a few ounces of chicken broth and some warm tea with Splenda. I feel week, in pain and starting to feel sad. Any words of advice for me?

Replies

• Sociologist2013
    Sociologist2013 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the sleeved side! The first week is the absolute worst but it does get better. The main thing is sip, sip, sip! As far as pain goes, have you talked to your doc? I didnt have any pain but I did feel like I had been bounced around on a roller coaster. That also subsides. I was a stomach sleepr for yrs but now a side sleeper. Try holding a pillow against your stomach while on your side to give the illusion of tummy sleeping. Very soon, this week will be a distant memory :smile:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Just keep sipping, just keep sipping. I know, what have I done to myself? Right?! Just keep sipping your way thru your surgeons diet packet. Hit those protein and fluid goals to minimize the nausea. Walk as much as possible...even if you do look like zombie. It does get better but not as fast as you want it to. Soon the lbs begin to drop and you will get your 2nd wind. I am almost 2 months out and I have lost 47# . Once I was off the liquid diet puréed tuna salad, salmon salad, and egg salad were my go to meals. I still struggle with chicken unless it is ground- it just likes to mat up and get stuck, good luck.
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I know this is a late post and I hope things have gotten better for your, but the other posters are right. It gets better and better day by day. They are also right when they say sip, sip, sip, get your protein and water in as best as possible. Sleeping for me was hard as well but used the comport of a pillows. This journey seems hard at first but it is well worth it. I remember thinking after I had waken out of surgery " Why did I do this to myself?" because the pain was unbearable. But with support from family and the idea of finally being thin, being able to run, and one day be a great grand mother in the future, was worth the pain. You can do this, even when times seem touch, know that you can do this. I have adapted a new theme song that helps me make it through, actually two songs. Bruno Mars "Just The Way You Are" and Isreal Houghten "I Know Who I Am" . These two songs really help me stay centered on this journey. Good luck and feel free to friend me.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    For me, the first 3 days were HORRIBLE. I had terrible heartburn, gas, and I had pain from the incisions. I was taking a liquid hydrocodone, pepcid ac, and gas x. Once I figured out how to manage the pain, it was better. I was a stomach sleeper, but I started getting good sleep in a recliner we bought. It helped me for a couple of weeks while I transitioned to sleeping in the bed.

My advice: call your surgeon. I agree that you should be sipping on a protein shake for energy. (This is why I think you feel lethargic.) I bought some clear bottles and labeled them by time, so I would drink enough protein (60-80 grams).

You can do this! If I did it, anyone can do it!!!! Feel free to friend/message me if you need help/advice!