Questions from a beginner

Options
Hi everyone. I just joined the group and had a couple questions. My husband does heavy lifting and after doing a lot of research, I have decided to do it as well. He is using the 5-3-1 program and started had me start it for my first 3 workouts. I have read I might get better gains and general benefit from starting with 5x5 and so here I am. Tomorrow will be my first day.

My main question is how to figure my 1 rep max. Do I just keep lifjng heavier until I cant do 1rep and then start with 50 percent of that? Yesterday I did 7 sets of squats, 2 of those being warmups and was able to do 95x5 on my last set. I really hate to start the 5x5 with only the bar so would like to know the best way to figure my one rep max. Also I am having some issues with the bar eesting on the bone at the top of my spine. It is very tender and sore today, and will possibly bruise. My husband says my form is good but to place the bar on my shoulder muscles not the bone. The problem is I do not have shoulder muscles yet to place the bar on. I used a towel over my shoulders yesterday and after squatting got a terrible migraine and now today a lot of soreness on that bone. Any suggestions from female lifters who do not have the traps and delts men do to make a shelf for the bar?

Thanks so much ladies!!

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

My main question is how to figure my 1 rep max.

I wouldn't worry about this yet. The 5x5 program is for beginner's and you don't really need this to make progress. If you want to calculate it just for reference/progress, http://www.strstd.com/ is a good site. Start with the bar even if you know you can lift more. The weights increase quickly. Use this time to really get your form down before the weights get heavy. Make sure to read the stickies; they contain a lot of good information and explain everything better than I am.
    Any suggestions from female lifters who do not have the traps and delts men do to make a shelf for the bar?

image1.jpg
    Best visual that I could find. In order to get the "shelf" squeeze your shoulders back. Ideally, you want a narrower grip on the bar, but if flexibility is an issue, you can use a wider grip.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Yes if you feel it on a bone you likely have it in high bar position. This might be what your husband is doing but not recommended here. The book "starting strength" goes into the anatomy and science of the squat. Free first chapter on kindle!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw

That is a video to the "So you think you can bench press" video, but check out the trap isolation at 2 minutes. Think about engaging the lats like this as you go under the bar so that they are flexed for support. If you just get under it without them being flexed, you will have less padding. Even limited mass should have enough cushion when flexed. How you hold your arms also affects this. Elbows pointed back will increase the "shelf" and lock in the bar.
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank uou all very much. I will be trying squatting again tomorrow and will try the suggestions. I will start 5x5 with the bar and focus on form. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks!