New to GF

Options
Cateart
Cateart Posts: 3 Member
Hi, my name is Cate. I have recently tried switching to a GF lifestyle. All my life food has never been an issue, I could maintain or lose with ease....but after 2 kids it seems my body is not the same. I blamed it mostly on being a mom an accepted that it's what happens. Turns out that I may be hypothyroid.
On top of that I have lived a life where I had poor diet habits. I rarely ate breakfast and didn't make great food choices. I thought a diet full of whole wheat was a good thing. Looking back I realized that most meals were 1/2 grains or starchy carbs. I would also go through cycles of junk eating and what I considered healthy eating.
For the last few years I have been exhausted, depressed, irritated, etc....just feeling awful. So after reading about the success of so many that are hypothyroid, I thought I would give it a try. I am currently mid way in a 30 day GF (and no processed gf foods either), no high glycemic index foods and just water to drink "diet"...although I hate calling it a diet because I consider it more of a lifestyle change.
The first week kinda sucked, but now at day 20 I feel like I have so much more energy! Not to mention I've lost 10 lbs with very little effort. My biggest struggle is eating enough and getting time to exercise. But I'm hoping that MFP helps keep me motivated in my goal to regain myself. Just looking for support/happy to support others :)

Replies

• mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for friends, feel free to add me.
    I've been GF for 4 years, and that first 6 weeks was really hard. It gets easier after that. The main thing is to make your own food. That was really difficult for me in the beginning because I'm not a natural born chef. I grew up in a house where everything was convenience food. Hamburger Helper was a mainstay. Now, I cook and bake mostly from scratch.
    Before I went GF, I had so many issues with my digestive system, frequent migraines, cold sores, and joint pain. They've all pretty much disappeared. I was just thinking this morning about when I was in college (14 years ago!) and couldn't stand up for more than 2 hours without being in severe pain. I couldn't go longer than 2 hours without eating or I'd get nauseated and dizzy. It's so crazy to me that I'm older, but feel so much better!
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My husband has been GF for almost 2 years, and I am about to take the plunge. I have fibro and do think it will help, at least somewhat. Plus, the kiddo flies the coop in 3 years, and then I can cook foods however I want (Picky teen will go on a hunger strike, even for days if he doesn't like what I make... not good for a 5'11" kid going through a growth spurt!)

I am working my way through the food my son won't eat that is not safe (can't afford to throw away good food!) before taking the plunge...
  • TexasTopaz
    TexasTopaz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Last year, I realized I had an issue with gluten, and tried the GF way...but couldn't maintain it...soo much going on in my life!

But I decided to take the plunge this year, and after 31 days, I'm loving it! Even with getting back to strenuous exercise my joints don't ache! My face is no longer bloated, and my tummy is smiling!
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    cate - congratulations on your 10 lbs so far, excellent! ((ETA: I am also hypothyroid))

mooglysmom - I find it easier cooking my own stuff too.

michele - my husband and daughter are not GF. I still cook them pasta, but substitute salad greens on my plate in place of the pasta, and top with the same sauces, vegetables, etc. tonight I made a GF turkey meatloaf and used GF breadcrumbs... they didn't even notice. enjoy taking the plunge when the time is right for you.

texas - I first realized I was gluten sensitive back in 2010, but I was in denial and lousy about committing to a full blown GF lifestyle up until recently. after only a week or not eating gluten, my face always slims down instantly! looking at photos I see I was incredibly swollen when I ate gluten. and after that first month I always drop 5 inches off my waist. I know gluten is horrible on my stomach and face. also, I've suffered from insane lethargy and fatigue since my 30s. the many doctors I went to never had any real answers for me. turns out not eating gluten brings back all my energy and vitality.

I'm hoping to stay the course this time for the long haul.