Need snack ideas!

Options
cshmom21
cshmom21 Posts: 11 Member
Hi Mamas! I'm fairly new to MFP. I'm a proud mom of two beautiful boys (ages 4-years and 5-months), but mommyhood has brought me 50 extra pounds I haven't been able to lose. I recently joined a gym and am really enjoying going!
I'm EBFing my little one and find I get so hungry between meals - what are your favourite snacks?
I'm looking for mommy friends too with similar goals so feel free to add me!

Replies

• kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm breastfeeding my 11 week old. I always crave sweet things when breastfeeding to usually try to go for fresh or dried fruit, Special K bars, Go Ahead biscuits, Fruit Strings or Refreshers. I also crave ginger a fair bit so eat crystallized ginger or ginger nut biscuits, which are not so healthy.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I need snacks, I get too hungry between meals. I try to have easy snacks (because who has time to make snacks?) with some protein to keep me full. I like:

Greek yogurt
    Almonds
    Cheese
    Homemade muffins
    Carrots and other veggies with hummus
    Oatmeal cookies ... they're good for milk production ... that's my excuse anyways :)

Sometimes I grab some fruit or make some toast, but that doesn't keep me full for very long.
  • luvemykids
    Options
    My 14 mo. old is almost done nursing, but I still love to make homemade oatmeal cookies and have them for snacks. I use honey in place of most of the sugar, and it makes it so much healthier! I make a huge batch, and then freeze the dough in cookie shapes. You can take them from the freezer and put them right into the oven.
  • cshmom21
    cshmom21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas - I think I need to make some healthy cookies!
  • tseabee
    tseabee Posts: 22
    Options
    My favorite snack, No Bake Energy Bites! They are addicting!!!

2 cups oatmeal
    1 cup peanut butter
    2/3 cup honey
    2 cups coconut flakes
    1 cup ground flax seed or wheat germ (you don't have to put this in, I put the honey crunch wheat germ in if I have it on hand)
    1 cup mini chocolate chips
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:

Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy! Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week. You can also put some in the freezer but mine don't last that long in the house because my whole family loves them!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack, No Bake Energy Bites! They are addicting!!!

2 cups oatmeal
    1 cup peanut butter
    2/3 cup honey
    2 cups coconut flakes
    1 cup ground flax seed or wheat germ (you don't have to put this in, I put the honey crunch wheat germ in if I have it on hand)
    1 cup mini chocolate chips
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:

Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy! Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week. You can also put some in the freezer but mine don't last that long in the house because my whole family loves them!

These sound so good! Thanks for the recipe!
  • whiskeyblue22
    Options
    Hi! I am a new mom of 4.5 month old girl. I have 54 pounds to lose. I am also in need of snack ideas but have to go diary free (so hard for a diary-lover!). Those no-bake bites look great! What I am snacking on right now at my desk is a great non-diary smoothie.

Vegan Almond Berry Smoothie - ~16oz at 280 calories
    Blend:
    Almond Milk (Unsweetened), 8 oz
    Blueberries - Frozen, unsweetened, 1 cup, unthawed
    Banana (Medium)
    Kale, 1 cup (or use Spinach)
    Vega Choc-a-lot Plant Protein, 0.5 scoop

If you are not a huge fan of greens or run out of ways to incorporate them, this is a great way to get them in. I did make the mistake of having spinach egg whites, kale salad for lunch and then this for dinner last week and my breastmilk turned green. I felt like the HULK!

PS - Feel free to add me!