Back on WW and already lost 9 lbs!

Options
fit4lifeUcan2
fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
I started with MFP almost 2 years ago. About 4 months of up 2 pounds down 2, up 3, down 3 etc. I joined WW online. I immediately lost 4 lbs my first week and then continues to lose weight and never gained. It was always a steady downward weight loss for me.
After I had gotten down to my goal weight I stopped doing WW and just did MFP. Now mind you the entire time I was doing WW I was also logging on MFP. So I thought I've got this. I'll just keep doing what i've been doing and stick with this calorie limit and I'll be fine.

WRONG!! I slowly started to gain weight. No matter what I did on MFP I could not lose and keep losing. It was again up and down up and down. Now after gaining 20 pounds doing MFP I have rejoined WW online and after less than a week I am already down 9 lbs!!!!

The only exercising I've done this week is a 15 to 20 minute walk once a day. I have noticed that I'm eating more veggies and fruit than when I did MFP only. I like that you're encouraged to eat more fruits and veggies every day. I've also noticed that since the high carb foods are higher in points I'm not likely to eat them where as with MFP alone you just see the calorie count and think well I have loads left for the day. Pasta and other items like potatoes etc. really use up a lot of points so I see that I'm avoiding them more now that I'm doing WW online. I'm sure this is making a big difference and is why I'm able to finally lose weight with WW vs. when I was only doing MFP.

Anyone else doing better with WW online than with just doing MFP?

Replies

• angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as with MFP, up and down.
  • TheShrinkingRose
    TheShrinkingRose Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've always had better luck with WW but I like MFP for the community. Points are just easier for me than counting calories. Not only that, but like you said, it gives you better control over your carb intake. Congrats on your 9lb loss! Keep it up!!
  • Kemikk1
    Kemikk1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Welldone, WW really does work. I joined weight watchers in August 2003 and I lost 28 lbs before Christmas. Even if I reach my goal weight and I stop going to meetings I will still follow e pro points counting
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    Options
    I've always had better luck with WW but I like MFP for the community. Points are just easier for me than counting calories. Not only that, but like you said, it gives you better control over your carb intake. Congrats on your 9lb loss! Keep it up!!

I agree! I also like the way the friends list works on MFP. Its nice to see the newsfeed with all of your friends posts listed. On WW you can't see that.
  • 1234suroor
    Options
    Same boat.. MFP calorie counting didnt work.. actually made me gain weight (15lb on ntop of what I was trying to lose) because I developed an obsession with calories and exercise + binge eating disorder . I love that on ww fruits and veg are free... keeps my mind relaxed so ww is actually nursing me back to health and I am developing healthy eating habits!

As soon as I start to keep a track on my calories even on ww, I revert back into those binge eating habits!
  • angiemoe
    angiemoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both WW and MFP also. I took an extended break from WW and gained. Now that I'm back on WW and tracking in both places, I've loss 6.2 pounds this month.
  • AleksD3
    AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been doing WW seriously for three weeks (after holidays) and am down a total of 7.4 so far. I just like points better than calories. It's more of a game to me that way.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    Options
    I'm doing both WW and MFP also. I took an extended break from WW and gained. Now that I'm back on WW and tracking in both places, I've loss 6.2 pounds this month.

awesome!!!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    Options
    I've been doing WW seriously for three weeks (after holidays) and am down a total of 7.4 so far. I just like points better than calories. It's more of a game to me that way.
    7.4 pounds is awesome!! WTG!!
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I struggled ever since I joined MFP literally up and down the same couple of pounds. I tried to up my calories, lower my calories, nothing. So frustrating. I rejoined WW about a month ago and I am steadily down each week. They are in small increments but as long as it's a steady decline, I am fine with that. However I log on both even though it's a bit of a pain because I like the interaction on this site better.
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am doing WW but sometimes I track here as well. I lift a ton of weights and I want to make sure I am getting enough protein. However, I think I might stop tracking here as I can get a little to compulsive and it's too much to track both. I feel as long as I make sure I get enough protein on WW- It's all good. One thing with WW that I LOVE the 49 extra points per week ! I use them and don't feel guilty about enjoying some of my favorite foods and can eat them in moderation. Without my "goodies" and 49 points I tend to binge eat and that's not a good thing. WW taught me moderation and if I have a "bad' day just to move forward and get back on plan at the next meal. If anyone wants to add me feel free :)
  • UnderwoodPD
    Options
    I am doing well on WW Points Plus also. It is all about consistency.
  • 1234suroor
    Options
    I am doing WW but sometimes I track here as well. I lift a ton of weights and I want to make sure I am getting enough protein. However, I think I might stop tracking here as I can get a little to compulsive and it's too much to track both. I feel as long as I make sure I get enough protein on WW- It's all good. One thing with WW that I LOVE the 49 extra points per week ! I use them and don't feel guilty about enjoying some of my favorite foods and can eat them in moderation. Without my "goodies" and 49 points I tend to binge eat and that's not a good thing. WW taught me moderation and if I have a "bad' day just to move forward and get back on plan at the next meal. If anyone wants to add me feel free :)
    I know eh! I love the weeklies as well! I do try to attribute about 5 points to a margin of error during my weekly food measurements. But overall the 49 just keeps me sane! At first I was hesitant to use them but I read a WW leader's blog once and she said that going over people's progress, she had seen that those who used their weeklies lost weight consistently and more successfully than those who didnt!
  • Tig_
    Tig_ Posts: 32
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!

Reading through this thread has been really enlightening, thank you all for sharing.

I have just started WW but in the past have found the community here on MFP super helpful so wanted to come here too.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I too just re-joined WW even though I said I would never join it again. I have been with MFP and have been going up and down for almost 4 years. In 2010 I joined WW and used points and was more consistent too but stopped because I did not like the WW community like I liked MFP community. So I tracked on WW and came here for support. I liked the WW program and the face to face accountability and weigh in.

So this time around I am going to track on MFP using 40 calories for each point I get. I like the WW apps too. So I give myself 1960 allowance points which equals 49 allowance points and I don't count my calories for the veggies and fruits that are zero points. My 1st week I lost 2.4 pounds with a bad weekend in eating but so far I am still losing weight and looking for a good 2nd week. At this point any lose is a good lose. My goal it just to lose something every week or even maintain. I know one week is coming where I will gain but if I can help they will few and not the constant rollercoaster I have been on.

I feel I can't lose with the support here and WW face to face support and plus I am doing it with co-workers too!! A win win. I feel MFP data base for foods wins hands down compared to WW. The last time I was on WW I kept coming to MFP to figure out my points. If I stop losing weight with this formula than I will track with WW but until then I am going to use MFP.

Below are some threads that may interest you......

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822197-how-to-track-weight-watchers-points-on-mfp

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/607834-how-does-weight-watcher-points-convert-into-calories
  • Caramalhoney
    Options
    Yeahhhh, I think its about time for me to get back on WW. This MFP is not working. I too thought I could maintain after losing great weight on WW, but that is not the case. Oh well.