Starting meds

Options
Off to the doctors this morning. I finally need meds for my thyroid. I have Hashimotos so I'm curious to see the level. I haven't been able to lose a pound since June. I am on a low carb plan too. Anyway notice easier weight loss after starting meds???

Replies

• Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It will take some time when they first start the meds they usually start on a fairly low dose then usually over 3 month cycles of testing theres quite a bit of adjustment. Mine actually took several years before a balance is found :/ But yes weight loss has been easier for me since my meds were adjusted to a good level. Ive gone hypo again and had been saving for the lab work ( which i finally got done) so i can have my meds adjusted. I been struggling with losing 2 pounds a month working my butt off since its tanked.
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes, it should help you in losing weight. I was dieting with a friend last year, she was losing pounds every month and I was at the same weight for two months. I was eating really low calories too. I realized that my hashimotos might be flaring up again (weight gain, plus fatigue and other symptoms) so my doc put me back on thyroid meds a couple weeks ago after blood tests confirmed high antibodies.
    Dramatic difference! I am losing like I should be. I mean, it's not magic, I am still careful with my calorie intake but I think I can now see progress and I am increasing calories as well so I don't lost too quickly. It's only about 4 lbs loss in two weeks, but considering I was losing barely a pound a month before, I am happy.
    More importantly, I feel much more like myself and am getting more energy to exercise. Fatigue, depression brain fog etc are slowly lifting, I am much happier. Good luck.

Eta: I have taken thyroid meds before so i had an idea of the dosage levels I need. it may take longer for you to adjust. My weight gain was not a lot - 10-15 lbs when my symptoms started again, but it was enough to push me to overweight level in bmi table.
  • findingtracy
    findingtracy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was started on levothyroxine about 2 months ago, 25mg, based on symtoms despite TSH in normal range. I have noticed no change at all. No weight loss, no energy shift. It's so hard to stay motivated when eating well and exercising doesn't seem to make a difference, but I'm trying. I can't wait for bloodwork at 3 months and potentially an increase in medicine. This process is so slow....

I'm not doing any dietary restrictions at this point. I tried GF for a few months, but noticed no difference, and it was such a pain in the neck for no noticable change that I'm back on gluten.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I started on 55mcg of Synthroid and then got bumped to 88mcg. Never heard back from my last blood draw for some reason... i need to call about that... anyway, I'm not digging the synthroid. It feels like it is working the first week and when we upped the dosage but other than that nadda. I've actually experienced negative changes since starting these stupid meds in november. I'm easily agitated, sensative, moody, tired, and just and all and all biznatch. Anyone else have these issues or is it just me?