Your number one piece of Marathon advice

Options
13»

Replies

• louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I did my first marathon in October and I have 2 more this year (after saying NEVER AGAIN!)

My best piece of advice is don't wait until your struggling to refuel by that point the damage is usually done !

At 14 miles I remember saying to my marathon partner "I feel good I'm going to have a few jelly beans now to keep this level of energy up" he said "no don't waste them, use them for when your struggling" well low and behold at 17 miles I was still feeling as good as I did at 14 miles and he was struggling, he ate a few jelly beans and they did nothing to improve his energy

Same with water don't wait until you're thirsty and then guzzle it down just keep hydrated with little and often :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I did my first marathon in October and I have 2 more this year (after saying NEVER AGAIN!)

My best piece of advice is don't wait until your struggling to refuel by that point the damage is usually done !

At 14 miles I remember saying to my marathon partner "I feel good I'm going to have a few jelly beans now to keep this level of energy up" he said "no don't waste them, use them for when your struggling" well low and behold at 17 miles I was still feeling as good as I did at 14 miles and he was struggling, he ate a few jelly beans and they did nothing to improve his energy

Same with water don't wait until you're thirsty and then guzzle it down just keep hydrated with little and often :)

This is good advice. And if anyone along the course offers you orange slices...take them! They were the best thing in the world to me around miles 14-20.
  • denny_menter
    denny_menter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sounds corny, but just believe in yourself. If you've trained properly and you have no injuries, the hard part is over and you've proven you can do ti.

Don't let the unfamiliar last 6 miles scare you, and enjoy the finish. Nothing can stop you now. Remember that during the tougher miles at the end.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    2- Speaking of your head. YOU WILL HIT A WALL. It may be at mile 7, it may be at mile 13, it may be at mile 20, it may be at all of the above. You will get over it. Everyone out on that course with you will hit that wall- so you'd be weird if you didn't. Have something ready to get yourself through. Think of the hugs from your four kids, think of all the chocolate you can eat at the end, think of the bragging rights or whatever it is that will get you through and keep going.

With this, I don't agree, unless you and I are defining "The Wall"differently. Hitting the wall occurs when the body runs out of glycogen. This doesn't happen to everyone, it depends on their fitness and how well they execute their plan. I've run 4 marathons now and I hit the wall in the first one and came really close in the 4th one. The middle two, no wall, no way.

Totally agree with Carson here. I'm two marathons in and have yet to make the wall's acquaintance. This is why race nutrition is important; and why I said don't be afraid to take on calories/carbs early and often (consistent with your long runs, but remembering you've got an extra 4-6 miles (assuming you ran 20-22 in your long training runs)). But there is certainly no requirement to hit the wall. Frankly, even if you mean a mental wall, I've also avoided that, too. I trusted in my training and went in knowing I could execute; on race day, I just carried out the plan.

Agreed! Not everyone hits the wall. I've had a few races where I felt eerily amazing the whole time. Then there are other races where I hit the wall, hard. I even hit the wall during training. (I should know better than to not fuel properly early on). As others have said, don't wait until you're dehydrated or your stomach is grumbling to refuel. Fuel consistently and early on, as a proactive measure.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you know how fast you go in other races then you could use a calculator. There are loads online that take into account your time for say a half marathon for example and then calculates.

However, I did this and found my projected time to be unrealistic given I was a first time marathoner. I ran my pace of 7.20/mile for around 17 miles and then my legs went (I wasnt particularly out of breath mind you) a bit and ended up about 15-20 minutes behind my anticipated time. I suppose that will improve over time....

But for my first one I wonder how I would have done if I felt a bit slower.

This too. Another reason to start off slow. The online calculators assume a certain level of endurance and training. If it is your first, add about 15-30 minutes to the estimated finish time and start with that pace. Err on the side of conservative with those calculators.
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a half marathon march 23rd. Would you mind sharing any advice or training regimes? Also how how you found your weightloss since running ?
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    extremely helpful stuff guys!
  • arwenmakin
    arwenmakin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think the advice above is excellent. Slow and steady - and break it down. We have a lake near us which is exactly 3 miles round - I break the remaining distance in "how many lakes"!
    Also for me the first half is the worst - keep going, knowing that eventually you'll be on the home stretch! You'll feel amazing when you've done it - smile and enjoy it!!! Its a good thing, running a marathon. Many people will never achieve it, and you are going to. Be proud, even if you feel horrible.
    Good luck!
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated (I've gotten leg cramps in my last 2 fulls). But most of all have fun! Running a marathon is a great accomplishment enjoy every minute of it!
  • denny_menter
    denny_menter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    2- Speaking of your head. YOU WILL HIT A WALL. It may be at mile 7, it may be at mile 13, it may be at mile 20, it may be at all of the above. You will get over it. Everyone out on that course with you will hit that wall- so you'd be weird if you didn't. Have something ready to get yourself through. Think of the hugs from your four kids, think of all the chocolate you can eat at the end, think of the bragging rights or whatever it is that will get you through and keep going.

With this, I don't agree, unless you and I are defining "The Wall"differently. Hitting the wall occurs when the body runs out of glycogen. This doesn't happen to everyone, it depends on their fitness and how well they execute their plan. I've run 4 marathons now and I hit the wall in the first one and came really close in the 4th one. The middle two, no wall, no way.

Totally agree with Carson here. I'm two marathons in and have yet to make the wall's acquaintance. This is why race nutrition is important; and why I said don't be afraid to take on calories/carbs early and often (consistent with your long runs, but remembering you've got an extra 4-6 miles (assuming you ran 20-22 in your long training runs)). But there is certainly no requirement to hit the wall. Frankly, even if you mean a mental wall, I've also avoided that, too. I trusted in my training and went in knowing I could execute; on race day, I just carried out the plan.

Agreed! Not everyone hits the wall. I've had a few races where I felt eerily amazing the whole time. Then there are other races where I hit the wall, hard. I even hit the wall during training. (I should know better than to not fuel properly early on). As others have said, don't wait until you're dehydrated or your stomach is grumbling to refuel. Fuel consistently and early on, as a proactive measure.

Another voice here saying hitting a wall isn't mandatory. I've had physical problems (bad knee, asthma attack) turn my race into hell, but as far as the normal "hitting the wall", it hasn't happened to me in my short 5 race career.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking because I've lost my mind and signed up for a marathon in 75 days... Ugh! I'll need to read this thread numerous time!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    male: band aids
    femail: bras (hahah, I would hope you didn't need this advice)