People just don't understand!

Options
I find that people who are "Binge" eaters, just don't understand... and why would they I suppose. I can do great... for days, even weeks, but if something triggers I can eat and eat and eat and I feel compelled to just keep eating! I did great my first week. Didn't feel any desire to binge eat. Then last night I ordered pizza. But I was going to be responsible and just have a few slices. Well I had like 5 and three mozzarella sticks. Feeling completely annoyed with myself I put the food away. Then two hours later I ate another two slices even though I still felt full (and annoyed!) with myself for eating the first round! I've never been bulimic, but after a binge I always WISH I could just throw it up. This is not healthy I know. Maybe it's I can't have those certain foods for right now? I feel though that if I make them "off limits" that will cause me to snap and eat a whole pizza in one sitting (in the closet with the lights off! Haha! Kidding)

Replies

• willi220
    Options
    I do the same exact thing. I will eat SO healthy all day, then what happens to me, is after I eat more than I think I should have, I basically feel like the whole day is ruined so I may as well just keep on ruining it and eat what I want. Then I eat until I am so full and disgusted with myself. I will eat and eat and eat until literally it hurts to stand up and I just have to go to bed.

I am trying to give myself a "cheat day" so I do not deprive myself and end up binging on everything in front of me. Hopefully this helps.
  • erinbuberinxo
    Options
    People who binge and serial binge eaters, people with a binge eating disorder, are soooo different! People don't realise that this is serious and that it's so difficult for us to stop or control ourselves. We can eat and eat and eat until we can't even stand and we can't help it :( At least we're all here for each other <3
  • Mother_Warrior
    Mother_Warrior Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ".... find that people who are "Binge" eaters don't understand.." Okay I mean people who aren't binge eaters, but you guys got that. :smile:

It is good to know that I am not alone in this and that there are others who understand that it's not exactly something that we WANT to do!
  • musetle
    musetle Posts: 70
    Options
    I completely understand....it's almost impulsive, you eat until your way past full...and then come back later and keep eating..
    Keep your head up ♥ As of yet, I don't have the will power not to impulse eat when I'm in the kitchen, so after dinner, I avoid the place like the plague.
  • zamara1114
    zamara1114 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been there before! Especially with pizza! I'm sorry you had a rough night - but remember it was just one night, and this is a journey where there will be difficulties, but it's just about picking yourself up and moving forward in the right direction. And it sounds like you did a great job of stopping it before it got even worse, or carried over into today. Every binge is a learning experience, and it sounds like you learned two important things: 1) restricting foods or food groups puts us at-risk to binge and 2) having large quantities of trigger foods around also puts us at risk to binge. For me, pizza is one of my absolute favorite foods, and when I eat it, I want to enjoy (which I don't if I binge on it and make myself sick). So for now, I get my pizza fix in a safe way by either buying a personal size, so I can eat the whole thing without guilt, or ordering with others, so I have to split it. Lately I've been able to make a whole pizza and immediately wrap up the other half and tell myself I can have it for breakfast the next morning, but I only trust myself to do that when I'm feeling strong enough.

It sounds like you've had a lot more good days than bad, so just keep it up and you'll get there!
  • Ecampbell64
    Ecampbell64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The bottom line for me--food is my coping mechanism and has been since I was a child. I am really working on feeling my feelings and trying to discover what Is underneath the desire for food. I'm not always successful but I'm not going to un-do 40 years of behavior over night.

There is a cognitive element too. Being accountable by logging my food on MFP is new behavior for me and it is helping. Not keeping certain foods in the house and/or having those foods only in controlled settings as others have mentioned. I really like (and hate) the challenge of relating our binges on the challenge thread. But keeping that stuff secret doesn't help, so I'm willing to do it.

Bingers ARE different. I'm grateful for this group and the opportunity to be honest and support one another on this journey.
  • LilchookNZ
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean - and the frustration of talking to people who don't understand what it feels like to feel so out of control when it comes to food can be a big trigger for me.

I really like Zamara's comment - though for me there are still foods I can't have in the house - jars of peanut butter for example, they just don't come smaller than that! But I am feeling hopeful because, aside from finding sugarfree chocolate (Yahooo!) which I eat most days, I am finding that as I learn more about the calorie content of foods I'm more confident about working them into my daily eating. I don't feel like binging so much when I am still below my calorie goal for the day.

So glad to that you are all in this group to help each other with this.
  • waffletops
    waffletops Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am the same, I can do really well, and then.... bang .... the voices start and I just have to eat, the thing is though I can't stop... and the worse thing is I do it all in secret.!!!!!

After a big binge out I totally feel disgusting in my body and disgusted with myself.... and then I start the 'let's not eat' for a few days just so I can get all the bad stuff out of my system.

When I'm on a binge though, nothing satisfies me... I don't feel full.... and I can't find a food that takes away the urge and tells my brain to stop.... I just keep going until I feel sick and uncomfortable.

I want to say a big Thank You for this group, I have never before written down what my eating habits are, and I am just so grateful to you all for being so open and honest, and for making me realise that I am not on my own.
    I'm glad that we can do this together... through the good days and the bad.... we'll get there.
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am the same
  • klbeall71
    Options
    I am the same way! I will say that it is harder for me to eat secretly at home because my husband and kids are constantly around, but man, if they leave the house - watch out. I go through periods where I gourge myself on all of my favorites for months until I feel horrible and disgusting. Then I jump on the diet wagon for months.....then it's right back to my out of control eating....it's like a never-ending train wreck. I have been doing good recently, but when my family leaves the house, it is a true battle with myself not to eat everything in sight......so far I can say that I've resisted the strong urges.
  • channi_c
    channi_c Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I totally get this two i can be really good monday-thursday and soon as friday night hits i think TAKEAWAY! but I like the meal deals and i can eat, eat & eat. Afterwards I feel soooo bad sometimes even sick, and I just think why did I do that?? Sometimes I dont even want it.

I am learning to get better though and started ordering "healthier" options and sharing meals so im less likely to eat as much. and I dont keep left overs they go straight in the bin so next morning im back on track. I find that logging the bad foods is helping as I can see how many calories are in it and it sways me not to or to go for something healthier!

My biggest no go is pringles they cant be anywere near my house let along me a large tub is gone in an hour of salt & viniger.

I do find if i set a target and a treat for that target it normally helps, currently when I hit another 1/2 a stone 7lbs il be going to pizza hutt! Calorific but its stoping me gorging too much.

Planning meals is also helping if I take something out to defrost I hate wasting it