Carbs?!

Options
crzyjess84
crzyjess84 Posts: 22 Member
Ah! The dreaded word!

They are every where, this I know. I stay away from processed food and bread and rice for the most part, but of course they are hidden in everything we eat.

MFP is wonderful at showing the count of these little devils in all of our foods.

So my questions to all my fellow sleevers is... How many carbs to try to stick to a day? Has your doctor gave you a number? How far out are you?

I am about 7 weeks out and I'd like to stay around 50, but some days its not so easy....

Thanks in advance!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Disregard the carb count at this point. Focus on eating protein first then veggies. At about 7 weeks I would assume your per meal portions are approximately 6oz of total food. You need 60-80 grams of protein per day to be healthy and promote weight loss. If you choose proteins for the first 4oz there won't be enough room to eat the carbs (bread, rice, pasts). Get your good carbs in through veggies. Bread, Rice, Pasta are not helpful to you right now and take up valuable stomach space so avoid as much as you can. When you get to around 8oz of food you can introduce 2oz or carbs as long as you get the 4oz of protein.
  • Sociologist2013
    Sociologist2013 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been around 30 carb on average....sometimes more, sometimes less. I cant eat bread, occasionally I have a cracker but my carbs usually come from fruit.Dr hasnt said anything but shooting for under 50.
  • RoraBora10
    RoraBora10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had VSG on 11/25/2013 and just asked my nutritionist about this exact same thing. She told me that 80-90 grams of carbs a day is okay, but to really focus on protein first.
  • crzyjess84
    crzyjess84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I range from 50-90 carbs a day. 95% or better are from veggies(Not Potato). Potato is not a veggie :tongue: I avoid all carbs from ground grain. if you focus on your protein and then your veggies sparing only 2 bites for straight carb like potato, bread, noodle-you will have outstanding wt loss. My lean cuisine lunch today was chicken marsala. I ate the meat and veg and dumped the whole grain penne. Pasta is a Kryptonite food for me and I do not need to waste calories on it. sleeved 11-20-13 and have lost 52 lbs. in all likelihood carbs are what led most of us to obesity. Don't worry about carbs in broccoli or beans-they are slow carbs. But I agree with your nutritionist , under 100 is optimum for wt loss.
  • coffeegirl1998
    coffeegirl1998 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me 30 or less. I really think it is individualized to your team's preference. Her theory is that if I am eating protein first, non-starchy veggies, then a little fruit or starch, I will stick to under 30 g.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Mine says no more than 20 carbs per meal is the ideal to shoot for. The one exception they allow is for meals that include Greek Yogurt.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    Pasta is a Kryptonite food for me and I do not need to waste calories on it. sleeved 11-20-13 and have lost 52 lbs. in all likelihood carbs are what led most of us to obesity.
    Mangopickle, That's how it is with me too! sleeved - 06/10/13. - Paula
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Thinking many of us are in the same boat regarding carbs derived from Pasta, Pizza, Breads, Flours ect. I spoke with my bariatric nurse on this and she still counsels to focus on eating proteins, then veggies, then fruits and you will not have enough room to worry about eating the bad carbs. I really do not even pay attention to the data but I checked back on my MFP carb count for the past few months and I am averaging somewhere between 60 and 100 grams per day. This has been consistant for 2 months and I have shed weight very rapdily since my 9/26 sleeve.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I don't really track carbs, I keep the focus on protein and at the end of the my carb intake averages between 30-40 grams, sometimes slightly higher.