Hi I'm Hannah

Options
First of all, thank you so much for this group. I know it will be a great help to have people who understand this particular situation.

A brief rundown of my story (might be triggering for some people): I had body image issues since I was very young. When I was 17, I started counting calories pretty obsessively and unhealthily. I didn't lose much weight (I can be thankful that I've never been underweight or otherwise at a dangerous size), but I gave myself a lot of stress and self-hate when I didn't stick to the unrealistic restrictions I set on myself. I'd been self-harming throughout high school. In college, that self-harm turned into bingeing and purging. However, recently I went through a course of intensive therapy (including a brief hospitalization), which started me on the path of recovery. I was diagnosed EDNOS, but I think most of the disordered eating was a symptom of my social anxiety and bipolar type II.

My current medications and therapy have me the most stable and mentally healthy I've ever been. I'm trying to lose just a few pounds, but I know I still have a fraught relationship with food and weight. I'm concentrating on loving my body no matter what size I am and not attaching my self-worth to the food I eat or the pounds I lose.

I'm really happy to know there are other people dealing with some of the same issues. My heart goes out to everyone who has been through or is in the middle of recovery. You guys all rock. Thanks for listening!

Replies

• pinkfanatic68
    pinkfanatic68 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Hannah! This is soo tough, I know. You're NOT alone in this! According to today's DSM criteria, I'd be considered EDNOS. Plus I also have a long history of self-injury. Glad you're here too, so we can support each other.:flowerforyou: I'm new here at MFP. For my weight, food and physical activity tracking, I prefer My Diet Coach Pro app on my kindle fire hd.
  • recoveryoga
    recoveryoga Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    hi hannah! i'm lelia and ednos with restrictive tendencies. i am actually just about at the end of my treatment program at a center for eating disorders and though i am not allowed to lose weight i have many friends in recovery who are on weight loss plans. it's a really sticky situation though, recovering from an eating disorder but wanting to lose weight because losing a little can lead to destructive thoughts and patterns. my hope for you is to either check in with a dietician or nutritionist every other week or whatever. if you're still in college you can normally see one for free. that way the will monitor your weight to make sure that you are stable (: if that's not an option for you, get a buddy! someone to keep you accountable, someone who will tell you if you're going down a disordered path. or even a sponsor at ANAD or EDA meetings. message me if you need anything else xx