Surgery is soon!!!

Options
Surgery is Jan 27th. Super excited to get the help I need to live a long healthy life. I have a quick question. I am a nanny and have to pick up a 7 month old. Is one week enough time to take off?

Replies

• HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    With no complications it might be ok. But bending over and lifting anything over 15 lbs might hurt a bit and potentially open a wound. Maybe ask your Dr what your post op weight limits are set at.

For me, I was in the hospital with complications (unexpected) for one week. I ended up having to take additional time off from my desk job. So best to plan ahead but expect the unexpected.

(From website: Overstraining your muscles may increase the risk of developing a hernia while healing. Therefore, stop any strenuous activity if it becomes uncomfortable for you during the first month. In general, lifting anything over 10 lbs. during the first month may overstrain your muscles.) Again, check with your Dr for specific instructions.

Good luck and congrats!!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    oooh... how heavy is the baby?. I just had a cough and my sutures wanted to open. I went back to work after 3 days, but I have a no lifting job. Hardest part was getting in and out of car
  • southjerzjoy
    southjerzjoy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    She's around 16 lbs
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    pretty much the last thing you want to do is bend over and lift anything heavier than a small purse for about 2wks.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My surgeon's office suggested to take a minimum of two weeks off, which I did even though I was feeling restless after a few days. I did a little work from home, but it was desk work. I am glad I gave myself the time to rest, adjust, and recover.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    We have almost the same date! My surgery is scheduled for Jan 29th.

In a bit of an amusing aside, my wants to be picked up all the time and carried cat weighs as much as the 7 month old!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Take two weeks, you will thank yourself later. You need the time to focus on YOU. That extra week will help get you through the liquid/puree phase and you will get to exercise (walk) and rest on your schedule.
  • southjerzjoy
    southjerzjoy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lol. That is funny. Good luck to us!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was told nothing heavier than 10 lbs for 4 weeks.
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Had a meeting with the surgeron yesterday and he gave me a date in March - I asked for mid April and so it is.

Getting nervous as I'm trying to fit my time off from work with the surgery. I work a desk job and trying to figure how i am going to do this. I don't want to come back too soon. Is one week off reasonable or should I plan on two weeks. They say that by two weeks I will be on puree and a bit stronger.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My doc recommended 3-4 weeks off, but I went back in 2. I also have a desk job. One week sounds fast to me. I was really tired, and I was on liquids for two weeks.
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    Just had my surgery the 8th of this month. Today was released to go back to work on Tuesday the 21st. So it is close to 2 weeks. I have a desk job and felt I could have gone back a couple of days ago but since I can take the time why not.:laugh:

As far as lifting, my surgeon said nothing over 10 lbs for 4 weeks. My weight training is on hold for till I have my 3 month follow-up.
  • trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    Does your doctor have a lifting restriction? Mine is 10 lbs for at least 4 weeks.

I'm 11 days out and am just making plans to return to work next thursday. I am a chemist so I'm on my feet most of the day - and lots of reaching and twisting - and these actions are not comfortable for me. I know I need that extra week. I can in no way speak for anyone but myself but at this point there is no way I could be taking care of a 7 month old. WAYYYY too much lifting, carrying, bending, etc. In fact, I just now have enough range of motion to pick something up off the floor. And today I feel like I pulled something and am back to stabbing pains and much more rest.

My advice would be this. Ask your employer to make arrangements for at least 3 weeks and see if it would be possible to come back early if you're up to it. I know it's inconvenient for all but if you push it too much you'll be out much longer. But that's just my opinion. :-)

Good luck and best wishes!