New and Nervous

Options
myrealname
myrealname Posts: 90 Member
Hi,
I've been on MFP for almost a year now and have lost pretty much all the weight I had planned (actually a few more than initially planned). I have been reading over and over again in the forums about the success of women who lift heavy and have gotten the body they wanted. After my weight loss, I still am not overly happy with the result so have been considering the idea of lifting for months now as I much prefer this type of workout than cardio.

I am almost 48 years old and I guess a part of me is worried that I'm too old to do a program like this. I am willing to join a gym and get started as I simply don't have the room at home for equipment I'd need and I don't think I'm going to get very far just using dumbbells. The amount of weight on dumbbells ended up hurting my hands and for squats, were uncomfortable on my shoulders.

Does anyone have some advice or encouragement they can offer I feel really feel nervous about joining a gym and starting this program. I don't want to waste my money or my time. Can this program also work for me?

Thanks.

Replies

• vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this program! I know there are women that are older that lift and love it. Just start slow. If I can do this program anyone can! I am 35 and have wretched lower back issues (last year at this time I couldn't sit, stand, walk, sleep or do anything because of a slipped disc and nerve issues which all originally started when I was 22) and as of last week I was squatting 115lbs. This program gives you strength and I don't have the body i want yet (because I still a lot of weight to lose) but I know as long as I stick with it then the weight will come off as well. My lower back hasn't been giving me issues either since I started.

I was so scared to start because of my back issues but once I got a few sessions under my belt it was smooth sailing.

Oh and avoid the smith machine at all cost. Don't listen to anyone on it being good because it is EVIL!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    You are never too old to start a strength training program. The beauty of this program is its simplicity. It also helps to build confidence because you will find you can do more and more both in the gym and in life.

There are many women in their 40's in this group. Age isn't an issue.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I wanted to say congrats on your weightloss!

Now, just try the stronglifts! I get such a rush doing them, you really just gotta do it!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not too old! I started SL in October, never having lifted more than a 10 lb dumbbell before. I turned 58 a couple of weeks ago. I may not progress as quickly as some of the "youngsters" here, but I have progressed and gotten stronger. You can do it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes...

it's fine to be nervous just combat that with research and education.

You will love how you feel and look even after a few months.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm another woman over 50 who started lifting last year.

Old is a state of mind. :drinker:
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I'm not as "age experienced" as everyone else who replied, but I'm going to respond anyway :)

I just wanted to say that it's great you're starting this program after hitting goal weight (congratulations!!) and wanting to keep improving!

I think that if you give it a chance, give it at least a month, and start with light, light weights, that not only will this program work for you, you'll fall in love with lifting like many of the ladies here!

Keep in mind that it does take some time to get the form down correctly, so don't give up if you struggle right off the bat, it will come more easily the more that you do it. Use your resources here, ask questions, these ladies are a wealth of knowledge and are AMAZING!
  • myrealname
    myrealname Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies and support. The more I think about it the more I believe I'm going to do it. One of the things that makes me nervous is just going to the gym on my own and doing this. I think I'll get some sessions with a personal trainer and just say, Stronglifts, 5x5 - that's what I want to do so please show me and make sure my form is good.

Did anyone else feel intimidated by the gym at first?
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies and support. The more I think about it the more I believe I'm going to do it. One of the things that makes me nervous is just going to the gym on my own and doing this. I think I'll get some sessions with a personal trainer and just say, Stronglifts, 5x5 - that's what I want to do so please show me and make sure my form is good.

I definitely felt intimidated, but not any more! Just go in there and act like you know what you're doing. If you do a couple of sessions with a trainer, that will help. Just make sure you get one that knows how to teach you proper form. Study up before you go, so you have a pretty good idea if they know what they're doing. If you're not sure about something, post your questions and we'll be happy to let you know what we think. :wink: Just be warned, you might become addicted to lifting!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

No I really didn't. I am used to being in situations most would find uncomfortable.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I am 53, and have been doing this for a few months now. I did feel a little embarrassed and confused at first, but I went in there and did it anyway, and now I feel pretty comfortable even though I seem to be the only woman doing this type of thing at my gym. I don't know anyone there, and the manager/trainer there doesn't know anything about Stronglifts, so I'm on my own.

You can do this!
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts, 5x5 - that's what I want to do so please show me and make sure my form is good.

I did exactly that. And when the trainer tried showing me stuff that was off base for me and my goals, I whipped out my phone and redirected her... "No, please show me this..."

You can do it!