Foods (to eat and avoid)

Options
Hello! I thought this might be something to consider. I know that some things can exacerbate the problem, so I thought maybe we could share our experiences with it.

The first one I discovered was soy. I was trying to do the slimfast shake thing and OMG I had no idea how bad it was until, even medicated, I was down for the count each day. I didn't realize it had soy in it, though I knew soy wasn't the best, I didn't realize how bad it could be.

Since then, I've read that too much fiber can be a problem and make it difficult the thyroid hormones to be absorbed, along with broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and, (this about killed me) aspertame.

What have you run across?

Replies

• RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Fantastic idea!

I can't do gluten, even though I eat it now and then anyway -_-. I literally go through withdrawals when I stop eating it so it's hard to stay away. Same for dairy, but it also does me in. I am going to start the Whole 30, so once I get through that and start to reintroduce foods I will be able to figure out more of my trigger foods.

ETA - I'll be doing the autoimmune protocol, naturally :)
  • TOPSmarca
    TOPSmarca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you have Hashimoto's you should avoid both gluten and dairy... I had already gotten away from gluten when I heard this but have not had the courage to try to get away from dairy yet!!!
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    I have heard that if you have Hashimoto's you should avoid both gluten and dairy... I had already gotten away from gluten when I heard this but have not had the courage to try to get away from dairy yet!!!

yes, that's true! Those with AI have sensitive guts and leaky gut and intestinal permeability are very easily achieved for us. And since dairy proteins and gluten proteins look very similar to our body it doesn't discriminate with sending the troops off to fight them, along with attacking our thyroids in the process. I have read extensive research and information to explain this but can't recall where...imagine that! But once I have time to find all of my favorite resources I will be adding to that sticky. :)
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to stop eating foods high in nickel. I have developed contact skin allergies, to the preservatives in shampoos, lotions, soaps, all kinds of things, but the allergy seemed to have progressed, and my hands got really bad, painful, with dermatitis. It turns out all the foods I was eating to be healthy are high in nickel, whole wheat, brans, oatmeal, soy, spinach, broccli, cauliflower, brussle sprouts, dark choc. and the list goes on. Its interesting to find out about the gluten, and dairy.
    I will check into the Whole 30, I need to check into something.
    Dairy would be hard for me to give up, I like milk.
    Also high nickel, all nuts, beans, bananas, pears. I had to stop using my alum. pots and pans, and have gone to glass.
    Any way, my hands have gotten better. Seems strange, but true.
    So it looks like those foods also don't help Hashimoto's.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    I bought a book called Practical Paleo and it has TONS of fantastic info on foods you should eat to support a wide variety of conditions, including thyroid health. When I get home I'll try to summarize the info and post it in here on foods that support a healthy thyroid.
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread! Just starting to learn...
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread! Just starting to learn...

You are very welcome!! :)
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options

OMG! It's like that article was directed at me! Thank you!!
  • AlyssaDarby13
    AlyssaDarby13 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Oooh, thanks for the link. I bookmarked it. I won't be able to afford to add in everything on the list, but hopefully I can at least tweak things a little for now.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    you're welcome ladies :). You don't need to put all of those things into the mix at once, but maybe rotate through the different foods as you run out of food and go grocery shopping, get something else off the list. Any little bit helps!
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm REALLY REALLY considering the gluten free route...just seems like a big pain...at least at first and I love breads and pastas...and oh yeah, cookies and cakes and desserts....guess I'll discuss with the doctor tomorrow
    ((((((((((((((((SIGH)))))))))))))
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    I'm REALLY REALLY considering the gluten free route...just seems like a big pain...at least at first and I love breads and pastas...and oh yeah, cookies and cakes and desserts....guess I'll discuss with the doctor tomorrow

It is hard at first. But you adjust. Once you get your head around what to avoid, it will become 2nd nature and anything you can make the normal way, there is a way to make it GF. There is a company that makes a GF version of everything. it's just a matter of looking :) And GF baking isn't as bad as some make it out to be either!
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options

It is hard at first. But you adjust. Once you get your head around what to avoid, it will become 2nd nature and anything you can make the normal way, there is a way to make it GF. There is a company that makes a GF version of everything. it's just a matter of looking :) And GF baking isn't as bad as some make it out to be either!

thanks - Doc did recommend going GF - so I am. Started two days ago. There's a whole aisle at the grocery store with all things GF. Really it's not going to be as hard as I thought, because I generally try to eat pretty healthy. It's just the bread and pasta withdrawal - and premade seasoning mixes oh and soups...ugh. BUT - I made some GF bread last night and it was not bad, not bad at all.
  • Barrettmomof3
    Barrettmomof3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Great article!! I am in the process of updating my diet. Gluten free done, except a here and there. Also working on a low carb. Going well so far. Getting all my carbs from veggies and a few fruits. Only seems to be hard on the weekends. Hope this one goes better!!
  • melnurse1
    Options
    I am mostly gluten and dairy free. Whenever I spurge my stomach get angry and bloating begins. Not sure if this happens to you. Hope my story helps you. Avoiding dairy and gluten I feel more normal and my stomach is happy. Wishing you the best success.
  • ksail2000
    Options
    I have been suffering with exzema of the palms of the hands and my nails for almost a year now. I wonder if its the gluten or nickel? I feel your pain and it just seems CRAZY that we have to limiti and watch and go through all this to stay feeling good and lose weight. I really think its the GM foods that caused all this auto immune to begin with. What do you think?
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies...just thought I would join the conversation. Going gluten free was hard...but its actually helped loads with

weight loss. (i have lost about 5.6 pounds since giving it up Jan 2)...
    leaky gut is pretty much gone...only rare bouts..(once a week)
    tiredness is almost gone..( i also switched to taking my thyroid meds at night)

Cant wait to see what else it helps.. I am actually on my way..to being the weight I was almost 20 years ago..128 pounds.only 8.4 more to go!!!
  • xalmostheaven8x
    Options
    Everything! haha Gluten! After years of having just a Hypo/Hashi's diagnosis and continuing to feel like crap, I was diagnosed with Celiac's. Apparently, a lotttt of people who have Hashi's also have Celiac's. I didn't have the typical Celiac's symptoms, BUT was always tired, brain fog, etc. (you all know) When you have Celiac's your body is unable to absorb nutrients as well as it used to-including your thyroid meds. If you don't have Celiac's or some type of gluten intolerance/sensitivity, gluten most likely won't affect this.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Everything! haha Gluten! After years of having just a Hypo/Hashi's diagnosis and continuing to feel like crap, I was diagnosed with Celiac's. Apparently, a lotttt of people who have Hashi's also have Celiac's. I didn't have the typical Celiac's symptoms, BUT was always tired, brain fog, etc. (you all know) When you have Celiac's your body is unable to absorb nutrients as well as it used to-including your thyroid meds. If you don't have Celiac's or some type of gluten intolerance/sensitivity, gluten most likely won't affect this.

Gluten can affect anyone with an AI disease - not just if you have lab Dx'd Celiac and/or gluten intolerance. A lot of people have borderline issues that don't show up in their blodd to reflect on a lab test. Same goes for thyroid issues - we all know we had a hell of a time getting Dx'd with that! :)