To eat or not to eat?

Options
...that WAS the question!

I always wondered why the hell some people would eat their work out cals back and why some would just log 1 calorie for a workout I'd consider to be vigorous.
But after a couple of you guys mentioned BMR and TDEE, I decided to do some thorough research.
I did the math on my own and figured out my BMR and TDEE. Then I was able to come up with a calorie goal based on my sex, age, weight, height, the frequency of my work outs, and how much I want to lose per week.

After doing so, the light bulb went on for me!!!:happy::happy: :happy: :happy:

The reason why I gained a little during the week was because I was only consuming 1250 cals as recommended by MFP. I was burning 300+ cals 6 days a week but never ate my workout cals back. I wasn't eating enough. Duhhhh Melinda!!!!

The reason why some people eat their work out cals becasue the goal MFP sets for you doesn't account for your workout cals.
Then others log their workouts as just 1 calorie because they've customized their calorie goal by increasing the numbers. Therefore there is no reason for them to eat back their work out cals becasue the goal they set already includes their work out cals.

I feel so slow, yet so empowered now that I've figured it out.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!!!

Replies

• AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Awesome, hon!! Thanks for the post - I'm still a tad uncertain about what the best thing is, but will get there. =)
  • boulevardMto180
    Options
    Awesome, hon!! Thanks for the post - I'm still a tad uncertain about what the best thing is, but will get there. =)

We sure will. It's all trial and error here. You're so right, we will definitely get there!
  • asbrassard91
    asbrassard91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Good luck with your new method!
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure things out too, girl. But I have a feeling that learning all of this will help me not to gain my weight back yet again. I'm optimistic for us!
  • lilmidnightwolf
    lilmidnightwolf Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Even though I figured out my TDEE i kinda still dont get the calorie thing so I'm just going to eat my 1200 calories and do my workouts
  • JoyLaine
    JoyLaine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good to hear that you figured all that number crunching out! The more I tried to figure it out the more confused I got. My BMI is quite high and doesn't take into account that under the "fluff" I am quite "muscle dense" (or so my doctor says). I did up my calorie intake to the level I had previously used when doing WW, successfully lost 20 pounds. It'll be interesting to see what effect the increased calories have.
  • msmarlette
    msmarlette Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to understand my #s too but I think through some trial & error I'm on the right path. I wear a BodyMedia thingee & it's synched w/MFP. IT transfers a few calories a day to MFP. I'm not exactly sure how many calories I'm going to get & it doesn't happen until late in the day. I think it has something to so w/my BMR & TDEE.