Smoking!!!

Options
nikkiskip79
nikkiskip79 Posts: 24 Member
Hi i really want to stop smoking but the worry of wanting to eat more to help with cravings is putting me off..everyone says people gain weight when you stop smoking and i really dont want that to happen.. Is there anyone out there that is quitting the *kitten* at the same time as healthy eating that can give any advice..

Has it worked for you?

HELP!!!!!!!

Replies

• spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just quit the *kitten*.

Rest is mental discipline once your past the couple of days effects of the stuff in them. Break the habit, do something else everytime you feel like munching do a sit up or star jump /squat. All in the head also if you can go without silly patches etc you can have the pride you did it all on your lonesome :)
  • runningcat76
    Options
    I actually lost weight when I quit 18 months ago as I had more energy and was able to get back into running without my lungs hurting!
  • aprilh47
    aprilh47 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i stopped the same day as i started back on MFP, and im 21 days and counting doing ok, found it alot easier than i expected. i do have a vapor e cig thingy but i dont like it and only really use it in the car. Cravings drive my crazy some days but watching what im eating too is giving me the determination to pull through.
  • harley1968
    harley1968 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi I gave up smoking in Aprl 2013 (and I am still off them), I had patches and an inhaler which seldom got used. I will say that I tried to be good and go to the gym and eat correctly but I couldn't do it, and I did put a stone on. So I decided that last year was 'my giving up smoking year' and this year is 'my losing weight and getting healthy year'.
    Everyone is different, and hopefully you can manage, but don't beat yourself up if you don't, I mean if we can stop smoking we can lose weight :smile:

Good luck
    Wendy
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Firstly, stop smoking! In the scheme of things, it's more important :flowerforyou:

To counteract any temporary weight gain, you need to exercise more and eat healthily. Chew gum instead of chocs!

I know people that gained 3 stone, and I know I gained about a stone, but I also know people that didnt gain a lb. So, it's an individual thing that you can control.

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • nikkiskip79
    Options
    Yesterday afternoon i through away my cigarettes and lighter so i haven't had a cigarette now since yesterday lunch time.. thought what is the point in waiting and to just do it and to stop using the weight thing as a huge excuse..

Found it a little bit tough last night after my evening meal but i distracted myself and and soon the craving went... so pockets full of sugar free gum today and see how i go.. feeling extremely determined :)
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I recently quit after smoking since I was 14. I did use every NRT I could to start with - patches, lozenges, microtabs, gum. However, as the cravings got less I weaned myself off the NRT without even noticing, within six weeks. Six months after my quit date I found myself about two and a half stone heavier, up two dress sizes. So I joined MFP to lose it again and get fit. It's now been 18 months since my last cig and I do get the occasional craving still, I won't lie. But it passes in moments and doesn't leave me in a bad mood for the rest of the day like they used to. It has taken me a fair while to shift the weight I gained, but then I'm not too strict about what I eat, I've just had another baby and am just trying to eat better. Overall it has been soooooo worth it. I'm so glad not to be a nicotine addict any more and I'm fitter than I've ever been now. I don't get half as many colds and if I do I recover much, much quicker and no more annual chest infection! The money I've saved is unbelieveable and everything smells so much cleaner now, clothes, carpets, even my hair. I say again, it is sooooo worth giving up. Just know where you want to be and plan how you'll get there, you can do it!
  • aprilh47
    Options
    Yesterday afternoon i through away my cigarettes and lighter so i haven't had a cigarette now since yesterday lunch time..

how have you got on????
  • antxoable
    antxoable Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    im quitting with champix, did it last year and i was off *kitten* for 9 months but i was so stupid to get back slowly...so now no more, tomorrow is my stop completely day and no more *kitten* for me!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Yesterday afternoon i through away my cigarettes and lighter so i haven't had a cigarette now since yesterday lunch time.. thought what is the point in waiting and to just do it and to stop using the weight thing as a huge excuse..

Found it a little bit tough last night after my evening meal but i distracted myself and and soon the craving went... so pockets full of sugar free gum today and see how i go.. feeling extremely determined :)

YAY!!! Well done you! :flowerforyou:
  • nikkiskip79
    Options
    Still sticking to it even though i have been a horrible moody snappy cow to people... hopefully the moody craving part wont last long and then i can be the new healthy me
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Keep going. It WILL get easier. Still rooting for you!!!!
  • Visions1970
    Visions1970 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I stopped almost five years ago by using champix, never wanted another one after the first two weeks on the champix pills and I smoked around 50 a day at that time. I did gain some weight though, around an additional 6lbs.
  • xianuk
    xianuk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi

I gave up 11 years ago.

I didn't use anything to quit just sheer determination, yes it was hard but worth it.

Few things I did.

1 - Get a online ciggie counter, it counts how many mins, days, months etc + how much money you have saved.

2 - Drink lots of water, not tea coffee etc these are triggers.

3 - I used a matchstick when I felt I needed something in my mouth.

4 - Try and stay away from smokers, they will want you to smoke.

The weight gain thing is because you get your taste back and discover all those wonderful flavours.

Finally take it one day at a time, just like weight loss or quitting smoking.

Good luck.
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I quit almost 20 years ago now....I ended up getting 'addicted' to chewing gum (sugar free of course)

I didn't really put a great deal of weight on as I was on a fitness binge at the same time, but it's one of the best things I have ever done, *kitten* stink and they cost a fortune!!!!
  • aprilh47
    Options

you get your taste back and discover all those wonderful flavours.

Very true i discovered sweet corn tonight didn't realise how nice it tasted and ive been eating it forever. im also finding things i thought i liked i don't. Hope i don't loose my taste for curry i haven't had one since i quit at the beginning of the month.