How to meet vegan queer women?

Options
Hi there! We all hope that someone we date has similar values to us - and as someone who's been vegan since I was 9 (my choice; I didn't even know what vegan was), well, it is the most important part of me. The values (actually, more like 'gut feelings') related to veganism also inform so many other decisions in my life, and realistically, I'd hate to have to feel that they were being challenged - which is what I do feel when I date someone who eats meat, or just doesn't care. So, long story short - where are the queer vegans? Especially the activists? I look so straight they'll never find me!

I hope this isn't an inappropriate question for this board. And if you have the urge to trash me, please don't; I get stupid and hurtful comments all the time. And I do care about the suffering of humans; we're animals too...so really, animal rights includes us! <3

Thanks!

Hari

Replies

• Veggiegirlsf
    Options
    PS: I live in a small town an hour north of san francisco. This should queer central - but believe me, it is difficult to meet women here if you're looking for something specific that doesn't include smoking cigarettes and drinking a crapload of alcohol!
  • charlietruck
    charlietruck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OkCupid will probably meet your needs better than bars. I use a Google Chrome extension to help filter people out, too. http://cleverdeveloper.com/projects/okcupid-enhanced/

At first it was meant for the author - he was looking for other poly folks. What it does though is finds the questions folks have answered that you care about, and there's filters for veg and veg friendly. Probably just vegetarian but it gets ya close at least.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree with the dating site. That way you can find people very specific to you. I am vegan but I am married, haha.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i am pretty sure that all the queer vegans live in brooklyn. they're still around park slope but it's gotten expensive so they're migrating to prospect heights, clinton hill, bed stuy and bushwick.
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i am pretty sure that all the queer vegans live in brooklyn. they're still around park slope but it's gotten expensive so they're migrating to prospect heights, clinton hill, bed stuy and bushwick.

Either there or DC. Not including myself though...
  • SexNerd
    SexNerd Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    OKCupid is a decent idea if you like dating websites. It seems popular in alternative communities of people. I heard about that filter recently. Does it really work well? I also think the internet in general is a pretty great place if it is hard to find like-minded people near you.

I think a great way is to go to a group. It's pretty easy now a days to find groups on Meetup or just online that you could go to. I've been to a bunch of different ones about vegetarianism and used to go to a free, monthly, vegan cooking class (even in an otherwise not very vegan-friendly area). You can also usually find organizations or groups that have LGBTQI+ members and that do stuff together (I've seen everything from swimming groups to gay men's knitting groups). If there is a local LGBT organization or more, they probably have something going on that might be fun.
  • SexNerd
    SexNerd Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Also, I consider myself genderqueer, but otherwise, you managed to meet me! That's a start! Maybe MyFitnessPal is the ticket. :)
  • curtissoph
    curtissoph Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Haha I can identify so much with the 'I look straight so they'll never find me' thing!
  • oiypus
    oiypus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My favourite place to go cruisin' is at the vegetarian/vegan grocery stores... so many cute cashiers- oh my!

In all seriousness, I think you should begin by frequenting vegan groups, get-together, potlucks, etc.... then hope to get lucky!
  • LadyDi126
    LadyDi126 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of okcupid! Give it a try! :flowerforyou: