Amount of weight to take off

Options
My surgeon mentioned that I would most likely take off 50% of my extra weight - I was hoping to take off more. I weight 228 and would like to get down to 140. If I followed my diet - could i lose more than the 50% - I see others losing over 100 lbs. - I would like to lose 88 lbs.

Replies

• SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't, as long as you follow your guidelines faithfully. I've already lost 145 lbs which is more than 50% of my excess weight, and I'm not special. If I can do it, you can do it!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Surgeons say this because it is a national statistic. 50% of your excess wt is the average. 50% of all WLS pts gain all their wt back within 5 years. BUT, 50% do not!!! The WLS regainers refuse to let go of their Kryptonite foods. My original goal was 180 # but I am really settling in to a life that has no ground grains. I have been eating all this amazing food. I have had to triple the variety because I bore easily now. I have no less than 6 different brands of tasty protein bars in my pantry and usually 4 dips in my fridge. I am going to do a beginner indoor triathlon in March. Everything for me is new food that is 95% + ground grain free. I never had a sweets or soda problem. I banned potatoes from my life years ago. Sooo I'm going for 145. May take 5 years but who cares. I'm gonna keep logging and learning and going to support group. I have great mentors that used to weight 400+ and they just look like normal people now-not skinny just medium sized people. The surgery is only a tool but I am gonna try to take full advantage of it
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Sooo I'm going for 145. May take 5 years but who cares.

The time is going to pass anyway, may as well make it work for you!

Great attitude!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Could also be a case of promising a conservative number and celebrating when you beat the estimate. My surgeon said "80%" of excess weight, which would be a 96.8 lb loss. More, and sustained, if I exercise. I have gotten into a great exercise habit and have lost 85 in 4 months. Follow your own pace but EXERCISE.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    Options
    Could also be a case of promising a conservative number and celebrating when you beat the estimate. My surgeon said "80%" of excess weight, which would be a 96.8 lb loss. More, and sustained, if I exercise. I have gotten into a great exercise habit and have lost 85 in 4 months. Follow your own pace but EXERCISE.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I started at 234 and have lost more than half the weight to my 140 goal in 4 months. I'm already wearing a size 8 and can really see\feel the difference! I've hear that if it doesn't come off in the first year it's much harder, so I'm working like a maniac to get the last 35 off! I fully expect to meet meet that goal. Once I get there, I'll re-evaluate and decide if I need to lose another 10 to get to 130, which is still within the healthy BMI range for my height at 5'6". My doc told me 70% of the weight off was considered average or successful. I've always been an over achiever! LOL!
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like that - I will definitely try and get to my goal of 140. I love to power walk so that will be my exercise. and I will have the whole summer and fall to do it in. I will try and do it within the year.:flowerforyou:
  • suzee279
    Options
    My surgeon quoted me a 60% of excess weight be taken off. I started at 327 lbs, and he says I should weigh 128 (which sounds nuts to me...I am 5' 5 1/2 " ) I am almost one year out from surgery and including presurgery loss I am 125 lbs down, which is more than he quoted. My personal goal is 165-170, which is completely realistic...only 30-35 left to go. I am not looking to be super thin, just healthy, and am more concerned with keeping the lifestyle on a permanent basis and being consistent with no rebound gain. I want to be a size 10-12 and whatever that weight is, that is where I will stop. I also asked him why he says I will only lose 60%. He said that I could lose more , but that it will be extremely tough. We shall see, but I say another 6 months or so and I should be there.

In any case, I just do what is best and follow the guidelines and it all seems to work out great. this is a wonderfult tool and has given me the kind of success I never would have had without it. I am not interested in doing anything that I cannot keep doing forever, and try to not be concerned about how long it takes.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Have you had your surgery? Or do you have a date?

A good friend of mine started at 326. She lost 40 on her own before her sleeve. She is now 156. Below her personal goal.
    She is thrilled. It took her just over 1 year to get there. Maybe 14 months?

I havent had my surgery yet, but I started at 286. I am currently 154 (I think LOL) I have been plugging along on my own since my referral went in to my surgeon. (I haven't even met him yet LOL)

I was accepted into the bariatric program that is required through his office. My surgery could be in 3 months? 6 months? or longer.
    I figure i'm going to keep plugging along with my program, and excersise (I am currently preparing for a 5k this spring)
    I'd like to lose as much as I can before my surgery, so that i'll be in the best shape for recovery.

My perconal goal is 150-160. I am about 5'5"ish I'd love to lose another 100lbs. Hopefully I can lose 50 of that before my surgery.

We will see! Like others said, the time is going to pass, i'd like to make the most of it while i'm waiting! Plus I consider it practicing for my new lifestyle! :)
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    The only limitation to how much weight you lose is what you put on yourself. It's totally up to you how much you lose.

I am down 160 lbs from my highest weight- 130 down since surgery 13 months ago. 302-142.

If 140 is your goal, there's nothing stopping you, especially some silly statistic.....

Good luck to everyone!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    Options
    We tend to put arbitrary limits on ourselves based upon our past experiences. No matter what my wife was saying I could not believe that getting below 220 was possible, and that a 36" waist was long past. My ideal (according to the charts is 188). 4 months post surgery I am 218 (36" waist) and now believe below 200 is not only possible but probable. Don't hold yourself back! We really will be healthier closer to the ideal range. Good luck.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I started this journey at 386 with 226 to lose to my "ideal weight" of 160. As of right now, I have lost 67.69% of my excess weight and I'm not done yet. My surgeon said he expected I would get to about 200, rebound to 220 and stay there. My response? That's not acceptable. I may not get to 160 again (I weighed that in high school) but I will get and stay somewhere below 200. It really is all up to you! Good luck!!
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Having my surgery in March - do not have to take off excess weight - just the two weeks prior usual. Getting nervous - it so overwhelming.
  • rociot13
    rociot13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started my vsg journey at my highest 313 pounds with only 25 years of age and only 5" 3 .... My surgery date was 01/09/2014.... My first goal is 200 and my ultimate goal is 180. My lowest weight that I can remember is 215 when I was 15 and I think I looked good.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was predicted 75% excess weight. So far I have lost 85% over the past year and a half and have not finished yet. I only want to lose another 7lbs ish to get into an overweight bmi and out of the obese. I am mainatining during the winter and will hit the weight loss again in the spring.

Oh and excercise is the key to good weight loss!!!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My surgeon never gave me a number or a percent to lose. At my first visit I was 275. I'm 5'6" so I had about 120 lbs to lose to get to a normal BMI. So far I'm down 96 lbs from that day (111 fom my highest weight). That comes out to 80% of my excess weight gone. I hope to lose another 25 lbs, then start mainenance.