First Birthday Ideas

Options
SapiensPisces
SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
Hi ladies,

My son is turning 1 next week, and we're having his birthday party at a local park. For those of you with little ones, how did you handle the first birthday? Did you get two cakes (one for smushing and another for everyone to share)? What did you do for decoration themes?

It's mostly going to be adults and a few kids. I could use some ideas.

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    We just had our family over for the afternoon and had a bunch of appies set out. By the time Max played around and opened presents, he was starting to get tired, so we did cake and then everyone left! I didn't do a theme because we didn't have a ton of people over, I just had balloons around for photo ops. (I'm no help...)

I got cupcakes from a local bakery - they do all natural, low sugar cupcakes. That way I didn't need two cakes, and Max didn't end up face first in a pile of sugary goodness.

Make sure you take lots of photos! It's going to be a special day!
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    For my oldest daughter (who has a July birthday) I just picked a color scheme and made all my own decorations. I baked the cake myself and just gave her her own special slice. For my second daughter (who's birthday is at the end of October), we did a Halloween theme. I made all sorts of halloween themed food, and cupcakes so she had one to herself. I know a lot of people like the idea of a smush cake, but I was trying to save on costs and didn't find it necessary:)

My sister just celebrated her daughters 1st birthday and did a Winter One-derland theme. It was super cute- all blues, silvers, and purples and I loved the idea.

For my oldest daughter this past summer we did a Candyland Theme which was super fun as well.

My thinking is, you'll have the rest of their lives to do crazy themes that they pick out. For the first- it's best to go simple. Pick a color scheme, make your own decor, and invite close family and friends. Enjoy:)
  • SapiensPisces
    Options
    Thanks ladies!

This was very helpful :)
  • mojisha
    mojisha Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My daughter turns one at the end of March. We are going back home to have a celebration with all our family. It's going to be in an outdoor picnic area of a park as well. We will have a smash cake and one for the guests (who are almost all adult family members). The theme is going to be It's a Great Day for Up! (her favorite book). We'll do lots of decorations and stuff. We want to make this celebration special since we live several states away, we probably won't be going back home for every birthday.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I usually just bake a cake and give the birthday child one piece to smash or eat or whatever. A one-year-old doesn't need a fancy party, so just do as much or as little will make YOU happy, and give you nice memories. A park party is nice, because any kids you invite can run around and play, while the adults sit and talk and eat snacks. Make sure to take lots of pictures! My first got all upset when he tried to eat his cake and discovered that the icing stuck to his hands. It was ADORABLE! That's the kind of thing that you will remember more than what kind of decorations there were. ;)
  • Hearndt
    Hearndt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For my sons first birthday I did Brown Bear. I had to make much of the stuff myself but Pintrest had a ton of great ideas. We just gave him a slice of his birthday cake. He had been eating at the table with us for months so it wasn't a novelty, if I'd done a smash cake I probably would have been disappointed because he ate his cake the same way he ate everything at the time (kinda with a fork but mostly with his fingers), it wasn't a big deal. I also thought about doing Dr Suess but ended up doing that for my sister-in-laws twin baby shower. That was a blast and I'm thinking about doing a repeat performance for my sons second birthday theme! If you do a theme, the key is the details, play with different foods/names that work with the theme, for example: deviled eggs with green food coloring become green eggs. Have fun and good luck!
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    We did "Winter 1-Derland" and did a penguin theme. I made a little smash cake for him, a hot chocolate bar with lots of toppings (and a couple adults-only add-ins for the grown ups), and then a table of themed foods (white cupcakes for snowballs, little cups of goldfish crackers for penguin food, candy sticks for icicles, and clear rock candy for snow flakes....and one of those igloo cheese balls with olive pengins). For decorations, I just ordered a package of penguin-shaped beach balls from Oriental Trading and scattered them around the house and had a couple of my 2nd grade students make paper snowflakes to string up. It was lots of fun!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    We did a "little monster" theme and just ordered a few cute monster decorations from Etsy. A friend made my son a small smash cake and everyone else had cupcakes. We kept the food VERY simple since there were quite a few kids there - pizza, goldfish, chips/salsa, and drinks. We had it at our church, and we took toys for all of the kids to play with so they were entertained. It was a simple day and tons of fun.

The best advice I have: designate a friend to take photos for you, because you will not touch your camera :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I usually just bake a cake and give the birthday child one piece to smash or eat or whatever. A one-year-old doesn't need a fancy party, so just do as much or as little will make YOU happy, and give you nice memories. A park party is nice, because any kids you invite can run around and play, while the adults sit and talk and eat snacks. Make sure to take lots of pictures! My first got all upset when he tried to eat his cake and discovered that the icing stuck to his hands. It was ADORABLE! That's the kind of thing that you will remember more than what kind of decorations there were. ;)

This is the kind of thing we do. A 1yo is not going to remember a theme, but if it makes you happy, go for it.

My siblings and I did our kids' first birthdays very small with just close family. For Thomas's first birthday, we picked the Saturday closest to his birthday, and whoever made it, made it with no hard feelings towards those who couldn't. We bought a regular Publix cake, no biggie.

My BIL and SIL had a huge party with literally 50 people over, appetizers, a buffet, big expensive bakery cake, professional photographer, etc. It seemed way over-the-top to me, but that's the kind of thing they like to do and makes them happy. They probably think we're crazy for being so low-key and not making things into huge events. I am often lacking in the creativity department, so I'd rather save those few creative brain cells for later birthdays that my boys will remember!

That said, Thomas just turned 3, and we did the little classroom party with cupcakes at school. That was it. Of course there are bigger family issues going on that, although they don't directly involve us, could make things awkward. He's still too little to really care that much, and since he's not big into being the center of attention (I wonder where he gets that from!), he became visibly shy at his school party when they sang Happy Birthday to him (he's normally not shy at school). I doubt he'd be sad about not having a big party. Then again maybe I just hate planning parties...
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I baked cupcakes from a Weelicious recipe. Of the three babies in my social circle mine was the only one who didn't throw up at her party. I believe the difference was I kept it small and made a light icing instead of frosting. Favorite decoration/party favor from those three birthdays turned out to be beach balls. We still have ours and play with it all the time.

Whoa! I was going to add the link to the recipe but the Weelicious website is all different now! I *think* this is what I made.... http://weelicious.com/2013/10/23/apple-applesauce-muffins/ with a banana icing, whose recipe seems to have disappeared.
  • SapiensPisces
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

We did a little potluck style party and got him his own mini-cake to smush up, which he thoroughly enjoyed, and another large one to share for the grown ups.

1779884_681159981936905_612652249_n.jpg

We kept it low key and fun, and we had a great time.

Thanks!