Favorite protein powder

Options
Hey everyone! I am going through my 6 month pre-op program and I'm trying to find ways to vary my diet. I know I'm going to get tired of chicken really soon. :smile: I have found several recipes for different foods that use protein powder and I am wondering, what is your favorite?

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I liked Unjury strawberry sorbet prior to surgery for breakfast. 1 scoop with a cup of skim and 2 ice cubes and whiz it up. Tasted just like a light strawberry shake. Since surgery I find it too sweet but I still use it to supplement. I just use half a scoop. You will need to branch out on your proteins. Lean pork, lean beef, fish, turkey, shrimp. I have some plain protein powder but I have yet to blend it into a dish. I guess I am afraid it will spoil the dish. I have bought some Tilapia to blacken this week because I am tired of the proteins I've been eating
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My surgeon's office has a store with all the high protein stuff you need pre and post op. I still go there to get the protein powder because I really like it. It's Syntrax Nectar. Lots of flavors and the price is less than a lot of the stuff in the health food stores with really good nutrition. It also come unflavored which is great for adding a little extra protein to a meal when necessary. I'm sure it's available on-line if you can't find it locally.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I like the Syntrax nectar too - I mix the lemonade and strawberry kiwi flavors, it's so good! I like the vanilla too, and I have some plain as well. Good stuff. I got mine online from Vitaminshoppe.com.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I like the Isopure Zero Carb, mainly in Vanilla but also in Strawberries & Cream. They seem to have tons of flavors, but since I generally don't like chocolate, peanut butter, or coffee, it limits me a bit. However two scoops (a serving) has 210 cal and 50grams of protein. I'm also lactose intolerant and it doesn't bother me. Amazon seems to have the cheapest prices.

For some suggestions about shake recipes, I recommend The Bariatric Foodie: http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/. I also brought her "cookbook" in support on Kindle. She has great tips for adding powder to hot drinks, making protein ice cream, popcicles, etc. I have been been on an "ice cream" kick rather than drinking my shakes (soymilk, protein power, flavor, maybe some fruit).
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Isopure Dutch Chocolate is my favorite. Sometines I add a bananna or almond extract to change it up.
  • southjerzjoy
    southjerzjoy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If your a coffe lover like me. Click is wonderful and gives me the afternoon kick I need. Drinkclick.com.
  • cscastillo
    Options
    Thank you for that blog link! I can't wait to try some of those recipies. I'm two weeks out and getting bored with yogurt and shakes. :smile:
  • kerrieward77
    kerrieward77 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to try several and see which one I like best. Now I know where to start.
  • snafufu
    Options
    I like Unjury chocolate splendor the best. It leaves no weird aftertaste!
  • msleelee35
    msleelee35 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like the unjury flavors. I use it for breakfast in low fat plain soy milk with ice and have a shake.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Pre-surgery, I used to like the milk based shakes. Unjury Chocolate Spendor with almond milk was my fav. Post-surgery, I stick with Syntrax Nectar mixed with water. It's just easier to get down than the thick, milky stuff. I also do a lot of Quest protein bars.
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The Unjury Choc. Splendor is my fave. I also got a whole bunch of Nectar samples on ebay, it let you choose your flavors.
  • mmanley0003
    Options
    I have tried about three different protein powders and they all taste gritty to me I was wondering if these tasted gritty too?
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know a website where you can buy a sample pack of all the different brands and flavors?

I just ordered a sample pack of Syntrax from BJBariatrics, but I also wanted to try some other brands & flavors and I didnt notice other sample packs on their site.
  • beckybrn
    Options
    Unjury and Bariatric Fusion both have sample packs.
  • pbit
    pbit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder in the Chocolate Peanut Butter Flavor. I use it with original Soy Milk. Pretty tasty! You can buy at Meijer & Wal-Mart about $15.99 for big jug. I also mix it with Jif Chunky Natural Peanut Butter - roll into balls and freeze. (about 1/3 cup to 1 scoop) - Tastes like a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup! YUM!