Starting today

Options
Hi everyone,

I'll be 12 weeks out from my sleeve surgery on Wednesday. I'm down 57.5 lbs as of today. I'm starting to log because I worry about not getting enough calories. I go to the gym at lunch for strength training and then after work for cardio so that is about an hour a day, 5 days a week. Once or twice a week I'll only go once a day. It just depends on my schedule.

I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be shooting for with my calories. My dr. is very assembly line ish. It seems like when you're done with your surgery it is it.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am almost 4 months out. I was concerned about not getting enough calories, but at my last visit to my surgeon, his PA went over my diet and exercise with me and she said I was doing fine. I tend to get about 750 calories a day and I aim for 80 to 100 grams of protein, because my blood work shows my protein a little low. I do about an hour of cardio every day, and every other day I do strength training. Some days, the amount of exercise calories I burn is greater than the amount of calories I consume. I am still losing though, and I feel great, so until my surgeon raises a red flag, I will continue on. I think the most important thing is getting enough protein and water.

ETA - I have been logging for over a year now, even for months prior to surgery. and it has been extremely helpful. I also have an app on my phone that reminds me to drink water!
  • MsDesire
    Options
    Hi Aprilsorrow,

I am a little over 2 months out myself. I can understand wanting to log your food. I just recently reduced my calorie intake from 800 to 650 because I was not dropping weight AT ALL. All my surgeon dietitian told us was to stay between 600 - 800 calories (I THINK), 30-40 carbs and 60 - 80 protein.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing pretty well, great job. Set MFP for a 2 pound weekly weight loss but concentrate on Protein intake over calories. Try to eat your daily goal but understand that eating back all the exercise is almost impossible for us (especially at 12 weeks). If you are getting you protein and fluids and are taking a daily multi-vitamin you should be fine. I am 16 weeks out and mostly eat a healthy 1,000 - 1,500 calories over three meals plus a snack.
  • aprilsorrow
    aprilsorrow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments! Yesterday I logged 537 calories and -385 exercise calories to net 152. I'm thinking this is probably about what I do daily....other than weekends. I was never given any calorie goals. I did make a phone appointment for today with a nutritionist. I'm really looking forward to it. I told her over email about my weight loss slowing down this month after starting the gym. She said that she's pretty sure she knows my issues and that they have easy fixes. So we'll see what all she says. I'm thinking more net calories and more protein.

BTW, I started at 307.5 and today I was at 248.5 or 249. I got both numbers. I think my scale needs new batteries. PLUS I NEED TO STOP WEIGHING DAILY!!!!!!!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Make sure you measure and weigh your food. I hit a stall and i was just eyeballing my food and i was off on the calories by 30%. Once I started measuring the wt loss got rolling again. 10 wks out and i have lost 52 lbs.:smooched: my nutritionist said 650-850 calories and focus on protein and water. But i am sedentary right now. i am focused on retraining my brain to my new food lifestyle. i know that exercise makes me ravenous and i fear losing control this early on. I started wearing a pedometer today and i am going to work up from there. good luck!
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What app do you use to remind you to sip water? I need something like that. I'm pre-op and trying to get into good habits beforehand.