Dizziness While Training

Options
pjowkar
pjowkar Posts: 36 Member
I know that it's common to get lightheaded when standing up to fast, however, when doing a lot of the P90X3 workouts (usually involving some kind of jumping squat, or the constant move from floor to standing), it happens a LOT to the point that I need to put my head down for a moment before continuing. I never work out on an empty stomach, so I don't think it's that. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the cause is, but it could be a few things. Naturally low blood pressure. Dehydration. Not eating enough. Too many shots of tequila before pressing play. Ok, that last one may not be as common as I think, but still a possibility.

I would suggest drinking plenty of water and taking it a little slower on the workouts until you can manage without minor black outs.

Mike
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Eat something right before workout that will boosts salts in the body but will also increase blood sugar. This helps combat my naturally low blood pressure. sometimes this still doesn't work and I have to wait to get my balance back. If I had an HRM I would be keeping my heart beat down, so maybe just dial it back for a minute, allowing your heart rate to fall back into the fat burning levels rather than cardio levels. This can help with the level change exercises.

Another problem that I saw people do a lot in the Army- If you are into cardio levels of heart rate (170+ I think) you are never supposed to drop your head below your heart. So watch your form! A strong back coming up can alleviate that blood rush, rather the uncoiling upwards from the spine. Don't lean forward in squats. Etc.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I generally have tendency of low blood pressure , but the only time I experience dizziness, when I cut my calories too much.
  • pjowkar
    pjowkar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I actually have been to the doctor recently, and my BP is normal. I'll try to avoid putting my head down. As you all know, some of the P90X3 routines involve during burpee-like moves, so that is a lot of the problem. I drink a lot of water, so maybe on my drive home I'll have an apple to add in some energy. Or I'll just stop with the tequila shots for awhile. :-)