Sherlock - The Empty Hearse

miranda_mom
miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
Okay I'm American so I finally got to watch The Empty Hearse on PBS last night. What did all you Sherlock fans think? I love the new character of Mary. I've seen lots of Sherlock Holmes stuff and Mary is usually pretty boring - I love this one though. Favorite moment was getting to see Benedict Cumberbatch's parents playing Sherlock's parents. Just wishing Mycroft was in that scene as well!

Replies

• UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    I don't know how you waited :o I've seen it half a dozen times at least by now (thank you internet!). Loved it! I haven't read all of the Sherlock canon, so it's on my reading list, so that I can actually get the canon references myself, rather than have people point them out to me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Well it was only on on Sunday here in the US, lol. I liked it a lot too. Can't wait for the other two.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Yep already saw all 3 thanks to the interwebz. I enjoyed them all and now to wait...
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    I did wait to see it on Monday, once it was on Amazon Prime for download. Totally fun, though in part because I don't take Sherlock quite as seriously as some of my other fandoms.

A few points for me--when I first watched Sherlock, I'd never seen Benedict Cumberbatch before in anything, so he was the complete embodiment of that character for me. He's still a brilliant actor, but in the intervening years I've seen him as everything from a dragon to a spy to Julian Assange to a Southern slave owner. He's still totally brilliant as Sherlock, but it took me a little bit longer to suspend my disbelief this time.

Coupled with that, I thought it was a bit disjointed in the beginning, which also kept me a little bit more detached from it than I would have liked to be.

There wasn't that much of a narrative focus on crime solving for The Empty Hearse, which I was fine with. Happy to have an episode more about character development than mysteries. But it seemed a little weird to me that Sherlock didn't tell John he was alive, when it seems like he told everyone else. I mean, does John have a history of being indiscreet when it was important? If so, I've somehow forgotten about that. I could also plausibly see that either Sherlock just didn't care what John thought/felt, or convinced himself that he didn't care--but he sure seemed to spend the rest of the episode caring very much. Does anyone else have any thoughts on that point?

Finally, I did like Mary a lot more than other women in the series to date, so that was fantastic. And seeing more of Mark Gatiss as Mycroft is always a delight.
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    sorry artsy for following you to this group but i LUHVE sherlock! i'm in england so we got them straight off and please note, i won't give any spoilers in case people haven't seen the other two eps!

i really liked it though some of my fellow englishers found it quite smug. i'm abig fan of BC though so i wouldn't hate it. also as i'm currently reading the books i like when i recognise something :)

i think it's characteristic of the bbc sherlock that, rather than intentionally hurting john, it just didn't occur to him. he just doesn't really consider how other people will feel, a bit like a kid might.
    also, the bit where john yells in the chippy that he faked his death goes to show that maybe he isn't capable of letting his head rule his heart?! thought that whole beginning was cut brilliantly though.

i like mary as well (martin freeman's partner in real life too!) she's in the malteser adverts over here too, i wondered where i'd seen her before!!

having a sherlock from the beginning of the first series on friday, woop! if y'all haven't already, the johnwatson blog online is pretty good, though watch out for spoilers.
  • miranda_mom
    I actually had a bigger problem getting used to seeing BC as other characters than I did getting used to him again as Sherlock. I think the Hobbit was the hardest because they were both in it and that was kind of distracting for me.
  • I'm American, and I've seen all three episodes of series 3. If you loved Mary in this episode, you will love her more and more. Just wait! So, so good. Did anyone else think that Sherlock trying to repay Molly for her help was one of the sweetest things ever?
  • miranda_mom
    I was so excited when they kissed at the beginning. I love Molly! Ah, not to be though, at least for now. Of course, he kissed Moriarty too.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    http://www.sherlockthenetwork.com/

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sadly not yet available in the US and I haven't seen a work around :/ Hurrrrrry up and put it on US itunes!

edited to add: coming January 27th!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    http://www.sherlockthenetwork.com/

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sadly not yet available in the US and I haven't seen a work around :/ Hurrrrrry up and put it on US itunes!

edited to add: coming January 27th!
    I posted these in another thread and they still work if you don't wanna wait >_>
    Ep. 1 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5wIwC9RYfggTllNbkw5M1dIN0E/view?sle=true&pli=1
    Ep.2 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2VixFWBfWTqdlhqMmJFZVdNRkk/view?sle=true&pli=1
    Ep 3 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3IWcV7kpCOuaWxybkR2bEd5THc/edit?pli=1
  • Did anyone else want to slow down the part where Sherlock was deducing things about Mary, just to read what they all were?! I could catch some of it, but not nearly all. I should dig around, I'm sure someone somewhere in internet land has stills… :D
  • miranda_mom
    I only caught "only child". Of course I was taking care of a baby who wasn't supposed to be born until AFTER the season was over and instead came before it even started!
    My favorite deduction was when he was in the cell being tortured and was talking about the guy's wife.
  • bb_lose_weight
    bb_lose_weight Posts: 103 Member
    Did anyone else want to slow down the part where Sherlock was deducing things about Mary, just to read what they all were?! I could catch some of it, but not nearly all. I should dig around, I'm sure someone somewhere in internet land has stills… :D

I paused it a few times to read it all :)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Did anyone else want to slow down the part where Sherlock was deducing things about Mary, just to read what they all were?! I could catch some of it, but not nearly all. I should dig around, I'm sure someone somewhere in internet land has stills… :D

I paused it a few times to read it all :)

Same here. :smile: