3 weeks before Sleeve Surgery

Options
Hi everyone! I am scheduled to have my sleeve surgery in three weeks, only a few days until I start my pre-op Protein - low carb diet... I am a little nervous, does anyone have any suggestions, tips?

Replies

• lindsey_i_am
    Options
    Stock up on everything you will need for the two week pre-op diet. You don't want to go to the grocery store half way through and be tempted. Every pre-op diet is different, I was only on liquids. What does your diet consist of? There are plenty of people on here to give you suggestions. If you need to have protein shakes, buy a variety or flavors/powders and invest in a few good shakers!
  • Shannie312
    Shannie312 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lindsey. Get some sample packs, I know syntrax and unjury have them, I am sure there are others, too. Unjury even gives you a food thermometer and a shaker bottle with the samples, which were nice size and I ended up buying more of them. In the time leading up to the preop diet, try the samples, see what you like, what you don't. Having everything ready beforehand is a good idea because once you are on the preop diet and can't have certain things everything will look good to you, don't tempt yourself :). I don't know how long your preop is, mine was 10 days, I was good for 2 days, had a rough day 3-4 and then I was ok. I really didn't cheat and it paid off because my liver was nice and small, my surgery went smooth. You will do great!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I had a week and started with just broths, jello and clear liquids before my wife reread the Dr's diet plan and noticed custards and puddings were allowed for me. So I ate like a happy 7 year old for a week: Italian ices and Jello Pudding!!!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I would get a wide variety of small amounts of stuff. You just don't know what flavors you will want. DON"T blow $$ on big jugs of protein powder you may find revolting later. I wish I had had some of the clear protein drinks on hand-because my favorite shake was nauseatingly sweet after surgery. low sodium chicken broth is always useful. They had recommended some cream soups to me but I found it was better to add real cream to my own soup instead because processed soups are mostly starch not cream. Starch makes me extremely nauseated about 3 bites in because of dumping syndrome-I have the same reaction to pudding. Real custard works just fine(eggs and cream) Split pea and lentil soups are a much higher protein and healthier option. My best advice is get all your Kryptonite food out of the house. go ahead and start living life without them. the number 1 cause of Wt Loss surgery failure is refusal to let go of your kryptonite foods. Good luck!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    What Mangopickle said about buying small amounts is right! I bought several large containers of the Syntrax Nectar, and while I like them a lot, I am just not into them any more and now I have a lot left just sitting there!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My surgeon's office has a store that carries all the high protein shakes, snacks, cereals, and food (meals) they reccomend for their pre-op, post-op and non surgical plans. I bought what they told me I needed for pre and post-op plus a big tub of the unflavored protein powder. Right after surgery, I just couldn't handle the unjury they were giving me in the hospital. It was too thick and too sweet. Once home I lived on the protein infused chicken and beef broth from the doctor's office. I eventually got back into the protein shakes, but not a lot.

Like everyone else I say try everything is small amounts first, buy more and larger amounts when you find you like something. I will add that I recommend you keep a large tub of unflavored protein powder because you can add that to anything to up the protein level, which allows you to use things like low fat broth or cream soups from the grocery store.

It's not as hard as it looks at first. Good luck on your surgery. This is a great tool.