Run daily or every other day?

Options
I'm new to running. Is it ok to run everyday? Or even 2-3 days in a row?

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    How much are you running now? How many days and what distances? I ran every other day for the first few months and then started going daily for 4 or five days in a row and then taking a rest day after about 4 months.
  • Fitnursejo
    Options
    I run on avg 2-3x week. Primarily because I also play tennis, swim, hike and cycle. So it's been hard to balance. But I'm starting to pick it up so I can improve. I hope to increase to 3-4x week. Sometimes it's more convenient to run 2 days in a row. But I was told I should run every other day.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you can't run multiple days in a row. Just listen to your body and if it feels like too much then take a rest day.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how you feel and how your body handles multiple days in a row.

I run 4 days a week but only do one back to back session. My joints needs some rest time so I run Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri.
    I have done weeks with 3 days in a row and it was alright (just a little more sore that usual).

You just need to figure out what works for you.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    But I was told I should run every other day.

By whom?

Yes, it's fine to run every day.
  • Fitnursejo
    Options
    Thank you all! Now I won't be afraid to put in miles 2 days in a row!
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    As some have mentioned. much depends on the length, intensity and type of runs you do. I would be careful of stringing really long runs back to back or high intensity runs (like intervals) back to back. Running is great, and there is something to be said for doing other things like swimming, biking and yoga too; they all help running. Most importantly, listen and obey your body. One of the best things about running is if you are willing to listen and feel..you can really learn about who your unique body works best! Keep running!
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The important thing to remember is to listen to your body--if you're new you should be taking days off. You don't want to risk injury and then be starting over !! :)

When I'm not training for a half or full I try to get atleast a short run in everyday :-)
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    There are many people that have streaks of well over 100+ days of running with no breaks. As long as you're varying the intensity so that some are quite easy, versus others that are more intense, you would be fine going daily.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a strong enough base to run several days in a row. As others have said, the key is to not run hard every single day. You still are gaining fitness even when you don't feel winded at the end of a run.

It is probably not a good idea to run so hard that you are gasping for breath every day, but it's fine to run every day if most of your runs are done at a very easy pace.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything that has already been said here, but will relate my own experience.

I started out with C25K in 2012... running 3 days a week... never 2 days in a row.

After C25K, I kept running for several more months and then started training for my first HM... adding in a 4th day of running each week - which actually was in between two of the other running days, so I had 3 days on - generally shorter runs, 1 day off, then a long run then 2 days off... repeat.

That worked well and I kept at 4 days a week for most of the next year. I gradually added in a 5th running day throughout 2013 - only occasionally if I felt good enough to get out for another run.

Then I decided to participate in the Runner's World holiday run streak this year (run at least 1 mile every day from Thanksgiving to New Years day - 35 days in all). I LOVED it... and I kept right on going after the new year, eventually getting in runs on 48 consecutive days before life got in the way.

My legs and feet had NEVER felt as good as they did by the end of that streak.

I've had a total of 4 days off in January... and I plan to continue running 6 - 7 days a week.

All of that is to illustrate a point - you CAN do it, but be sure to gradually build up to it. Just like increasing your weekly mileage or your long run distance, don't try to go from every other day to 5 to 6 days a week consistently in one step. I'd recommend adding in one more day and trying that for at least a month or so and then adding another if you feel like it.

Good luck!

Ted
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sure, why not?
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a strong enough base to run several days in a row. As others have said, the key is to not run hard every single day. You still are gaining fitness even when you don't feel winded at the end of a run.

It is probably not a good idea to run so hard that you are gasping for breath every day, but it's fine to run every day if most of your runs are done at a very easy pace.

Great advice above!

When I started in the fall of 2012 I ran 4-5 days a week. I have ran every day since November and have never been injured since I started running. I consider running a short distance at an "easy pace" to be my rest day.

I think the key is to build up your mileage gradually over time. There have been times where I felt like I was increasing my mileage too quickly (such as early this month). I listened to my body and decreased my mileage. Now I feel better than ever.

I plan on running at least one mile every day in 2014:)
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Much to the same feedback here. Started with a couch to 5k in the Fall of 2012, ran 4 days a week, one day back to back. Now training for a half and full marathon and have been running 6 out of 7 days a week. My off day is basketball and my other "rest days" are the slow, 3 mile runs. All of this was done gradually, building up weekly mileage and of course listening to my body. So far the running has been injury free and I continue to learn each week about how to be a better runner either by warming up better, focusing on my running form to make running easier on my body, varying my routine, and cooling down/stretching. Good luck to you.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I too was told every other day. I have been using RunKeepers to train for a half and it tells me to do 4 miles on Saturday and a long run, increasing weekly, on Sunday. It works fine. No problem.
  • arwenmakin
    arwenmakin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a little obsessed and on a particular training plan at the moment so currently run on average about 8 times a week - so sometimes twice a day (to work, school run etc) but lots of them are only 30 / 40 mins and "recovery" runs - it really is a question of "listen to your body". Recovery runs are very different to hard runs for example. There is nothing wrong with not having days off between runs, although I aim to have at least one rest day a week.

The general advice given to newer members in our running club is to start upping your mileage slowly, and no more than 10% per week.

So, for example - if you are running 10 miles this week, don't go over 11 miles next week, than not more than 12.1, and then 13.3 In four weeks time you should manage 14.6 with few (self inflicted) injury problems.

The danger is to start enjoying your running, get very keen, and overdo it too much too soon. I have done this more times than I care to mention and end up injured!

Good luck!
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options

The danger is to start enjoying your running, get very keen, and overdo it too much too soon. I have done this more times than I care to mention and end up injured!

Yes and this is so counterintuitive. If listening to your body is the guideline, and if your body is saying this feels great, it's confusing. It must be the endorphins.