how will I get my running powers back?

Options
have barely scraped 14 miles all month due to calf strain - mild but constant

it is improving with physio but is taking AGES and am starting to panic about my half in March, not to mention the full in May

how do you start running again without making it worse? do you sort of run/walk to begin with?

Replies

• HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    It can be tough...and I know that feeling of fear when you aren't logging the miles you want. But its important to bring it along slowly, so keep at the physio and the ice and all that you need to help it heal. I'm not sure the nature of your calf strain..but you can work your lungs one a bike and/or in the pool so some cross training may be in order. Especially swimming, if you have a pool nearby, will give you a good cardio work out and allow your calf to heal better.
    I know you have firm dates for a half and a full...but try and focus long term; if you keep re-injuring you could be out for much longer. when you get closer to the races you can adjust your goals to reflect your reality and still have really positive runs!
    Hang in there Mitchy - this too shall pass.
  • arwenmakin
    arwenmakin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    good advice there! Its so frustrating if you have a target, but sometimes targets have to move for your long term health - I hate swimming but it is good to keep the fitness up. Listen to the physio and to your calf, annoying as it is, it's telling you off for a reason. Try to get better first.

There will be other halfs to be brilliant in (which one was it?) and once you are properly healed, your fitness will come back surprisingly fast as you've run before and yoru body remembers. I've often ended up doing races I've entered and then not been able to really run as I'd like to in as I'd like by supporting my friends and pace making them, at least then I don't feel I've wasted the entry fee!

Chin up - I know its frustrating though
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Honesty, you might want to consider adjusting your race schedule. If you are still feeling pain in your calf, it's not healed. And it's not going to heal until you rest it, and let it heal completely. I know how much it sucks, but is it really worth dragging out for months?
    I had a calf strain several years ago, that probably could have been a 6 week injury. It ended up being a six month injury because I was stubborn and kept trying to come back before it was ready. In hindsight if had had just stopped running initially, I would have been up and running sooner.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    thanks everyone, very helpful advice, have very cautiously started running a few miles here and there and it seems to not mind at all - my problem now is that I'm scared to go further

am not used to being scared of this sort of thing, but hopefully this is a good way to feel