Transition week 1 and haven't lost a pound

Options
It's discouraging.

I have a spreadsheet that tracks the amount of calories consumed and the amount of calories burned for the month and I am at about -26000. If you go by the traditional 3000 calories = 1lb. math, that should give me an 8+ lb. loss.

I was so excited to jump into the program, I didn't take initial measurements. So this Sunday I'm going to take all the measurements before the 2nd month kicks in. Hopefully at the end of month 2 I'll see some changes on the scale and on the tape.

Replies

• MzTate81
    MzTate81 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think you should see more this phase from what i have heard is you see them more starting in block 2....
  • Devasation
    Devasation Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's discouraging.

I have a spreadsheet that tracks the amount of calories consumed and the amount of calories burned for the month and I am at about -26000. If you go by the traditional 3000 calories = 1lb. math, that should give me an 8+ lb. loss.

I was so excited to jump into the program, I didn't take initial measurements. So this Sunday I'm going to take all the measurements before the 2nd month kicks in. Hopefully at the end of month 2 I'll see some changes on the scale and on the tape.

Best to go by measurements. If P90X3 is anything like the original, a lot of folks didn't see any progress until the middle of the second month, or even until the beginning of the third month.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If you haven't taken measurements, let's go and take it now. Also if you gave not taken a before pic yet, it is time.
    Do you have a BF% scale? It greatly help to actually see what is going on.

Scale by itself can be really discouraging. Lots of people gain a lot of water weight when they start strength training, because the muscle glucose stores fill up and hold onto water. It can take a couple of weeks, sometimes upto 2 months to get rid of that initial excess water , and that is when the real weight loss shows up.

I just finished week 1, and I am 3 lb heavier than when I started. However my scale shows water level % as well fat % , and I am definitely have much higher level water in my body now.

When I started I was 94 kg , with 42% BF. This means I had 39.5kg fat and 54.5 kg lean body mass prior starting. During this past week, the total weight was creeping up, and the BF% was dropping. Today the scale showed 95.5 kg with 40.2 % BF. Which means now I have 38.4 kg of fat and 57.1 kg of lean body mass. This means my LBM increased by 2.6 kg , which I know it is not true muscle gain just water retention in the muscles. I had much lower carb intake prior to the program, and upping carb plus strength training etc lead to significant water retention.

Anyway , lets see what happened to my fat: 39.5-38.4= lost 0.9 kg fat ( =2 lb) , hurray! If I just has basic scale, I would be mopping about gaining 3 lb weight. But there is no mopping here, for me losing 2 lb fat within a week is awesome. Plus it seems that my baby belly overhang is less droopy.
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you haven't taken measurements, let's go and take it now. Also if you gave not taken a before pic yet, it is time.

Scale by itself can be really discouraging. Lots of people gain a lot of water weight when they start strength training, because the muscle glucose stores fill up and hold onto water. It can take a couple of weeks, sometimes upto 2 months to get rid of that initial excess water , and that is when the real weight loss shows up.

I just finished week 1, and I am 3 lb heavier than when I started. However my scale shows water level % as well fat % , and I am definitely have much higher level water in my body now.

When I started I was 94 kg , with 42% BF. This means I had 39.5kg fat and 54.5 kg lean body mass prior starting. During this past week, the total weight was creeping up, and the BF% was dropping. Today the scale showed 95.5 kg with 40.2 % BF. Which means now I have 38.4 kg of fat and 57.1 kg of lean body mass. This means my LBM increased by 2.6 kg , which I know it is not true muscle gain just water retention in the muscles. I had much lower carb intake prior to the program, and upping carb plus strength training etc lead to significant water retention.

Anyway , lets see what happened to my fat: 39.5-38.4= lost 0.9 kg fat ( =2 lb) , hurray! If I just has basic scale, I would be mopping about gaining 3 lb weight. But there is no mopping here, for me losing 2 lb fat within a week is awesome. Plus it seems that my baby belly overhang is less droopy.

What kind of scale do you have?
  • corbanlucas
    Options
    I echo what everyone else says. Your scale may lie, but measurements do not.

Measurements are more accurate.

Don't get discouraged. Keep at it.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

What kind of scale do you have?
    I think it is tanita brand. I know that many hardcore fitness guru despise BF % scale as not very accurate, but I have very good experience. I have this scale for quite a while, and I had a bod pod measure and a dexa scan in the last few years, and my scale was extremely close to those result, so it works for me I guess.
  • dustinsmith1010
    dustinsmith1010 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take measurements Sunday for the 2nd month. I have a BF scale at home, but I don't trust it enough to believe what it says. It's just a cheapy I bought from Walmart a few years ago.