D Day on V day.....Bad stigma?

Options
So my soon to be ex and I have been separated since May of 2012. Since that time I have considered myself single even though we still had a piece of paper that connected us. It never really bothered me and I felt free to date and what not. I have been offically with my current bf for about 3 months and talking for about 5. I am head over heels for him and he feels the same.

My issue is that I recently discovered that my divorce will be finalized on Valentines Day! It just gives me a bad taste in my mouth and I am afraid that it is going to hold a bad stigma for future Valentines Days with my current bf. He tells me that it is silly and it is just a day. I have even considered trying to take an additional day off work and make it the day before even though I really don't have the time off to take.

What are you thoughts? Am I just being silly? Or would you feel awkward having your divorce finalized on the day that is all about love?

Replies

• Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Wouldnt make any difference to me............but I am not a huge fan of Valentines Day anyway ........
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a good day. End the marriage, start the new romance. I'd be out celebrating with my new b/f :heart:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a good day. End the marriage, start the new romance. I'd be out celebrating with my new b/f :heart:

Agree! I'd probably just be thankful the divorce was done!
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the best valentine's day gift ever? I mean to your boyfriend. You're officially free :wink:
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Eh, my divorce date is either the 22nd or 24th of July. Unfortunately some documents need that date. Sooooo.... in your case, easy to remember.

It's just another day doll.

The only thing Valentines day is good for is if I get flowers that day. So I dont' have to sit there and watch every other woman in the office get them and ooh and ahhh over their abusive piece of crap boyfriend, or cheating lying husbands.....who did one nice thing for the year.
    I kind of don't care who the flowers are from. I will admit sending them to yourself tho....kinda awkward. Yes, I'm of a different breed lol.
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I'm divorced too.
    I don't remember my official divorce date actually (bad!!) but I also started dating someone around then. That is what I remember... The new love and crazy feelings I had for new guy vs the bad stuff with ex.
    The *kitten* (bf) broke my heart but still, like I said the good outweighed the bad!!
    I even took a pic in front of the court with my thumbs up. Lol My cousin was with me and it was fine.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I'm divorced too, I know the official date is somewhere in July and I remember taking a pic with the court paper, I was so happy. Ex bf took the pic. I don't think you should see it in a negative way, think of it as your first day of freedom from this person and just enjoy your day with your new boyfriend, it's the day where you can celebrate and put it all behind you :)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Instead of looking at it as "Divorce on V Day" you could look at it as "I'm finally FREE on V Day" or "I love MYSELF (enough to have gotten out of that bad relationship) on V Day"

{{{{hugs}}}}