Hansen's Marathon Plan

Options
Has anyone trained using the Hansen plan - shorter long runs but more overall running?

I'm reading the book and am tempted to give it a shot.

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - that Hansen stuff is really geared toward high mileage fast people. I think lots of runners are attracted to it when they see shorter long runs. Indeed long runs are only one component of training, but I find them very important.

I'm not a fan other FIRST type program (three days of running only, but all them quality with serious cross-training). I really like & need my easy runs as well.

All that said, don't ever forget when it comes to running & training, we are each an experiment with a sample size of one. All that matters is what you find work best for you.

Good luck!
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - that Hansen stuff is really geared toward high mileage fast people. I think lots of runners are attracted to it when they see shorter long runs. Indeed long runs are only one component of training, but I find them very important.

I've never tried it but friends of mine have.

I think it works better for people with a background of competitive running, like high school cross country and some Div3 college running. What I've heard from friends is that the race itself is much more painful, so it's good for those that are used to training and racing HARD. No idea where you are on this spectrum.
  • denny_menter
    denny_menter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback. I think I will try it and if it's unbearable I'll go to a fall back plan of Higdon's Intermediate.
  • Fitnursejo
    Options
    Wow! I'm learning so much from this site!! I'm new to running! Just taking it easy and having fun for now!! So far no plans for a full. My half was such a great experience, I just want to do that over and over for now! But I'm appreciating the knowledge you experienced runners have to offer!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I'm not a fan other FIRST type program (three days of running only, but all them quality with serious cross-training). I really like & need my easy runs as well.

All that said, don't ever forget when it comes to running & training, we are each an experiment with a sample size of one. All that matters is what you find work best for you.

Good luck!

Couldn't have said it better myself.