Feeling like a failure at the end of each day

Options
BoysMommaX4
BoysMommaX4 Posts: 41 Member
I am having a hard time getting in the 700 calories that my DN as recommended. When I saw her 2 1/2 weeks ago I was averaging about 350 calories a day. Now I am usually able to get 500 in but this is with 4 meals instead of her strict 3 meals with no snacking. Now that I am getting in more calories I am losing slower than what I was. What am I supposed to do? Any suggestions?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    When did you have your surgery? I have heard of some people having stalls even just a few weeks out. It doesn't seem like an extra 150 calories a day would slow you down that much. Are you getting enough water? Are you exercising?

ETA: Please don't feel like a failure! There is so much trial and error post surgery, it can take a little time to sort out what will work for you. I know it can be really frustrating!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I know the scale moving down is like a high, but don't obsess over it. It's going to disappoint. Pictures and measurements are the best way to show progress.

Your NP suggesting 700 calories a day is essential. They know what they are talking about, so listen and follow very closely. It is very important you get in all your calories and the amount of protein they suggest. Your body is still healing and you don't want to hamper or harm your body.

At first I had to drink alot of my calories. I made not only protein shakes but I juiced all kinds of veggies with a little fruit for taste.
  • BoysMommaX4
    BoysMommaX4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery 11/12/13. I can eat 2 ounce or 1/4 cup of food at a time. I never thought getting enough food would be the problem. are there any high calorie high protein things I should try? I have not hit a stall yet but last week I only lost 1.5 lbs. I do exercise and I am starting to do more each day.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My dietician was a strict 3 meals a day one but when I couldn't get 800 cals a day I swapped to 6 meals a day and it really worked. I still eat every 3 hours
  • BKA175
    BKA175 Posts: 5
    Options
    if you are having trouble getting it in with food, you should make a shake and drink it slowly over an hours time. you can get in a great protein source as well as calories and if you are filling up with just a 1/4 cup of food the shake would be perfect
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Eat 3 "meals" and support that with 2 shakes. The Isopure proetin shakes are 200 calories with 50 grams of protein when made with milk . Wait 30 minutes after a meal and start sipping the shake (counts towards your fluid intake goal) until you are done then switch to another fluid. If you cannot tolorate milk use water. The extra protein will help with weight loss.
  • suzee279
    Options
    How far out from surgery are you? At the start it is not about calories. What is most important is that you are getting your fluids in and getting the 60 grams of protein. Dont stress about calories. And try not to stress about how the weight is coming off or not coming off. It will come off in time. Just do what you need to do and the rest will all work its way out.

Susan
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    If you're weighing every day... STOP! Weigh no more than once per week. You'll still have the accountability of a weekly check in without the obsession that comes with a daily weigh in.
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    Eat 3 "meals" and support that with 2 shakes. The Isopure proetin shakes are 200 calories with 50 grams of protein when made with milk . Wait 30 minutes after a meal and start sipping the shake (counts towards your fluid intake goal) until you are done then switch to another fluid. If you cannot tolorate milk use water. The extra protein will help with weight loss.

^^^^this

Protein shakes are good way to get calories, plus the protein helps the healing process.

It seems every program is different. Mine has me on a 5 meal plan with an evening snack. She has me making sure I get at least 75-80g protein per day. (Protein is less for a female)
    Weighing every day is not always a good thing. I will skip days but always take Saturday as my "official" weight. Measurements are also good tracking methods.