Dress Shopping

2»

Replies

• GingerJ22
    GingerJ22 Posts: 11 Member
    My gown is in! I got the call the day after Christmas. Since my wedding is not until June the dress won't be altered until 6 weeks before so I had a few moths to lose a little weight and tone up. I have a mini goal that is pushing me hard… my fiancee and I have a wedding the last weekend in February and I have this little tight dress that I want to wear.
  • Hi all!
    I wanted to be a size 8/10 when I went shopping, but due to time constraints I needed to go at my current size 5'3 170 lbs size 12/14. I was petrified that I would hate myself in every dress and that I wouldn't be able to find anything to try on as most dresses are a sample size 10(true 8). Most of the dresses I ended up trying on had a lace up back so once I squeezed into it my consultant was able to really suck me in with the lace up. It helped and I felt stunning in every dress I tried on. I didn't even feel like I needed to loose weight in the dress. It was amazing!!! Based on my current measurements I ordered my dress as a bridal 14 (true 12). They can alter your dress down 3-4 sizes. I wanted to order it smaller, but I thought as dedicated as I am, I don't want to take the chance of not fitting into the gown. Also I have wide hips and have a fit and flare gown so I want to make sure they fit in their lol Best of luck to you ladies finding your gown. FYI in order to order a dress and get it in time to do alteration you need a minimum of 6 months. My store recommends 9 months.
  • Daerina8
    Daerina8 Posts: 35 Member
    I bought my dress back in September... 37lbs ago D: I'm thinking it'll need some MAJOR alterations...
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Awww, yay for everybody :-)

I actually am having a courthouse wedding, and we're taking everybody out to a nice restaurant afterward...we're spending all of our money on our honeymoon :blushing:

SO I too may just go to a consignment shop, or I may just run around town the last 2 months before my wedding and find some white dress. I want it to be short (er) and simple anyway, so it shouldn't be too difficult. I've seen a few on various websites that I really like, but I wonder if shorter dresses still have the long wait times on ordering?

It really is one of the few things I have left to plan, so I'm not stressing it. :tongue: We're getting married August 21st, so we'll see how much I weigh in, June? Hahah
  • Daerina8
    Daerina8 Posts: 35 Member

I actually am having a courthouse wedding, and we're taking everybody out to a nice restaurant afterward...we're spending all of our money on our honeymoon :blushing:

SO I too may just go to a consignment shop, or I may just run around town the last 2 months before my wedding and find some white dress. I want it to be short (er) and simple anyway, so it shouldn't be too difficult. I've seen a few on various websites that I really like, but I wonder if shorter dresses still have the long wait times on ordering?

It really is one of the few things I have left to plan, so I'm not stressing it. :tongue: We're getting married August 21st, so we'll see how much I weigh in, June? Hahah

I actually bought mine at an outlet shop for wedding dresses :) I was able to take home the dress the same day I found it. Of course they're a bit more limited on what styles and sizes they have (although the store was massive and had more dresses than I could try on) but you don't sound like you're too picky about it! I was able to get the dress for about 1/3 of the retail cost as well :)
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member

I actually bought mine at an outlet shop for wedding dresses :) I was able to take home the dress the same day I found it. Of course they're a bit more limited on what styles and sizes they have (although the store was massive and had more dresses than I could try on) but you don't sound like you're too picky about it! I was able to get the dress for about 1/3 of the retail cost as well :)

Thanks :-) That's really encouraging. I think I AM going to end up going to a shop like that. I know there are several downtown.
  • junctiongirl
    junctiongirl Posts: 57 Member
    I found a dress in October and then I found another one in January :p They are both beautiful but both totally different. The 2nd one was a sample and was $500 so If I don't wear it I'm just going to sell it. Its a little small though So I am using it for motivation in my weight loss. The first one fits perfectly right now, but I will need to get it taken in if I lose any weight!
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    I haven't even started looking for a dress yet. We are hoping for a September wedding so I know the clock is ticking. I have to admit I am a little nervous to start trying them on. I never like shopping for clothes lol.
  • SwedishMel
    SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
    I can't, for the life of me, talk myself into spending a ton of money on a dress for one day. That, and there's no possible way that I'm going to be at my ideal weight (or even close) when I say "I do".

That said, we are eloping. At first because we're eloping I figured I wouldn't have to do the whole "dress" thing, but unfortunately it's on my fiance's list of must haves. He said, "Please, please, please don't spend $500." Actually, he's hoping I'll keep it around $200 or less...and that's just where I want to keep it as well. I'm very LATE in terms of dress shopping, but I'm not too worried about it. If I don't find a dress then I'll just get a really nice outfit (chance to splurge with good clothes I can wear again) & call it good.

I understand that the "dress" is supposed to be the most important thing for most brides, and I respect that. But for me it's the groom, and I could get married in a potato sack...I really couldn't care less. As long as it's him & me saying "I do" that's what I find important.

Good luck in your dress shopping & wedding plans ladies! And maybe you can all post a picture of you in your dresses on your wedding day! I can "live" through your dress choices. :love:
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Well I did it! I finally purchased the first dress that I tried on back in September. Since then I have lost 13lbs and a dress size. They didnt have a size 10 in my dress so I had to order it and when it comes in March I will make alterations at that time.

Im feeling more comfortable with how I look and feel so Im going to try and maintain the weight that I am now. I'm also okay if I loose another 5lbs or so but not gonna sweat over it if I dont.

If I can figure it out I will try and post a picture in here when I get my dress in March. :smile:
  • Shell30Harrison
    Shell30Harrison Posts: 65 Member
    So excited for you PugsleyJean!!
    Glad you feel happy and comfortable in the dress - can't wait to see the picture next month!!
    x