Scheduled surgery.. 2/27 & mother not happy

Options
klh193
klh193 Posts: 18 Member
So, I have been debating this surgery for over a year now. I finally made the decision and had to disclose to my mother about it. Fearing what she would think or say. I was able to get the support from my husband and a few close friends, but really didn't want to tell my mom. Mainly because she doesn't like any kind of surgery in general (she gets paranoid about it). But had to tell her, because I needed her to house & babysit while I was in the hospital. I gave her my reasoning and a couple days later received a LONG email of her concerns. So, now I feel bad for going against her reasoning's. I think she is forgetting, I've been trying to do it on my own for the past 13 years. She doesn't think the risk are worth it.

So I am hoping to get someone that has been there and done that.... support. Is it worth it?? I'm 5'7" and 245, 42yrs old. and within the past 1yr and 4 months have gained 40 of those pounds. I'm tired of the roller coaster ride of weight.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Bottom line for me - YES, it was SO worth it! My health has improved, my quality of life has improved, and I feel better than I have felt in years.

There are definitely risks with any surgery, but there are MANY risks associated with obesity. In my opinion, the surgery is a small risk in comparison to a lifetime of health issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. You are trying to get control of your health and that is what it's all about. So many people have opinions about surgery, but no one has walked in your shoes but you, and you know what is best for you. I am sorry your mom is making you second guess your choice. I don't mean to be rude by saying this, and I know first hand how deep a mother's control can be, but as an adult you really must stand your ground and do what's right for you. Try to remember WHY you made this decision, and keep yourself surrounded with the people in your life who are positive and supportive. Good luck to you!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    This is really something YOU have to decide for yourself. If you have spent more than a decade gaining and losing and not being able to reach and maintain a healthy weight, then yes, you may need this tool.

At your age I was 100 pounds heavier than you, and an inch shorter. I swore to myself until I was 53 years of age that I could do this on my own and that surgery was for others. I almost died at 47 years of age, (and 475 lbs!) because of weight related issues. I got scared enough that I lost 152 lbs on WW, then life got tough, I got complacent and by 53 I was at 438 lbs again and on my way right back to all the problems I had before. My choice, stay on the rollercoaster, mainly going UP and die soon, or look into the surgery and have a chance at life.

I had the surgery 5/1/13. Three months later I had gotten rid of most of my co-morbidities. I was no longer pre-diabetic, my blood work was all normal, I was starting to exercise. All of this when I was @ 50 to 70 lbs below my starting weight. So far this tool has been what I needed to succeed. I weigh less now than I have in almost 20 years and while the really rapid weight loss is over, I'm still losing consistently and have a reasonable expectation of reaching and maintaining my surgeons idea of what my weight should be, and a better than average chance of getting to MY goal for weight and more importantly health and activity levels (LIFE!)

Take that for what it is worth. My story is mine. You have to write the story that will be yours and make it the success, either way you go, that you deserve and need.

And I should have known Dale would beat me to the post! lol She's got great advice, you can listen to her. ;-)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dan :-) I am full of advice!
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My response would be "I appreciate your concerns, and I hear what you are saying, but, since I have already made an informed decision, I am not asking for your opinion, I am asking for your support."
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It was soooo worth it for me. Only regret is that I didn't do it sooner, (I'm 47). My mother was also concerned with the risks. She was to be my "helper person" when I returned home after surgery for a few days. I took her to my surgeon's office to meet with the nurse coordinator and helped her get educated. It made a world of difference for her.
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    What they said :-) Also, I agree with bikrchk that having your mom (or anyone else in your life) attend a surgeon's visit or an informational meeting with you can really help them to understand the realities of what you're going through. My parents were initially very concerned about the idea of me having surgery, and even after 30+ years of watching me ride the dieting rollercoaster, as thinner people themselves they didn't understand why I just couldn't "eat less and exercise more" to take care of "my problem." It took my fiance, Mike, coming with me to almost every appointment, life skills class, and support seminar for my parents to see that I was really serious about this and needed their support. They were still nervous, but they came from NY to be with us on the day of my surgery, and to help take care of me when Mike needed to go back to work. Now, they're so thrilled with my progress that they wonder why I waited so long. Hopefully your mom will come around with some more information, but either way, you need to decide if this is what's right for you, because YOU are going to be the person doing all the work (and it is work, no mistake about it ;) Good luck and we're all here for you either way!!
  • klh193
    Options
    WOW.. Thank you everyone for the support. I have never reached out to a message board for support. It's extremely important for me to hear words of encouragement from someone that had been through the procedure. B/C I don't know anyone personally that has had it.
    I truly feel comfortable with my decision and know this is what I need and will be the best for me. I'm hopeful to be successful like y'all are and soon be able to share.
    I think I might enjoy this way of support. :-)
    We talked tonight and she says she loves me and will support me, just wishes I would reconsider and try something else. ( had to remind her, I've tried it all, and it all comes back).
    Thanks again everyone.
  • Aquafinaflo
    Aquafinaflo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been there. I am scheduled for surgery on 2/18. At 1st my mom was definetly not supporting the idea of surgery. Then with the constant trips to the er and dr, me choking in my sleep off of my own vomitt (excuse me), UP all time of the morning, missing work, and blood pressure keep going in the hypertension 2 range; she gave in. I told her that i got to the point that i was tired of hurting, tired of being sick and explained to her that noone knew my pain EXCEPT ME AND GOD. I was totally at my wits end and if something wasn't done, i didn't know how much longer i would be here. my bp could give me a heart attack or stroke at anytime, THEN WHAT? SO, needless to say, she jumped on the ban wagon. Best wishes to u!
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate, I'll be having surgery in March and I know I won't get my mom and sister's support. They're both very stubborn and opinionated so I debated whether or not to share with them and ultimately I decided I'm not going to share this info until after surgery. I was my own worst enemy for the past 2 years telling myself I don't need it and I can do it myself, the fact of the matter is I can't do it, I haven't been able to do it, I'll be 40 this year so it's only going to get harder to lose as I age. Now that I'm finally doing it I don't want to second guess my decision by letting my family interfere. I've done the research, I'm ready for this life change.

Lucky for me we don't live in the same state so I can get away with it without them knowing. Good luck with your journey, remember you're in charge of your health, do what you feel is best for you.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    It has been a huge gift for me. I have been obese since 2nd grade, I have never known normal. This surgery is worth it if you are ready to do the mental work and change. If you panic at the thought of having to watch carefully what you eat the rest of your life this is not for you. 50% of pts regain their wt because they thought they could eat whatever they want and somehow the surgery would magically prevent regain. I went to many post-op support groups to meet real patients and that is where I really learned how much work this new lifestyle would take to be successful. They taught me that food addiction is something only I can cure. I took a cold hard look at my Kryptonite foods and let them go. I have embraced the 70% protein, 25% veg 5% carb lifestyle. I have lost 52 lbs since my sleeve 11-20-13. Be polite to your mother, but make your own informed decision.
  • klh193
    Options
    Thanks for your input, and you said exactly what she did. Good addiction and dealing with that without surgery and make the commitment for change. I have before made that commitment but I always self destruct. I know life changes have to be made and I'm good with that. I see it as a restrictive tool only.
  • klh193
    Options
    Ha, I actually considering not telling her either. But I knew that God forbid and something go wrong she would absolutely be so upset I didn't share this with her. Plus I needed her to help with childcare.:-)
  • clhensley75
    Options
    My mother was extremely negative and I knew she would be. I had to tell her because she was who would be keeping my kids during the day of the surgery and if anything happened that delayed me coming home, I needed her to be available. When I told her she made her snide comments and I said, your opinion is noted, I hear it and understand but the decision is made and I would appreciate your support from here on out.

She has pretty much kept her opinion to herself since then and just recently started making some more positive comments about my weight loss.

Bottom line, it's your life, not hers. While I fully believe we should show our parents respect, we are adults and have to make the best decisions for ourselves and our family.
  • Rachel96
    Rachel96 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!! I'm 5 yr's out my mom didn't want me to get it either, but it wasn't about my mom, it was about me and the kind of mom I wanted to be. I remember not being able to dance a whole song with my daughter and now I can do much more then just dance!! Of course now my mom is very supportive of my discussions and glad that I did it...I think their just being normal mom's and worrying about their little girl...I'm 5'6" and I weighed 293 when I had my daughter and 252 when I had my surgery...I wouldn't change it for the world!
    You Go Girl!!!
    Rachel
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you. I was very afraid of telling my own mom. This surgery decision is for you, and while your mom does fear the worst (as I'm sure you do too), your reasons for making this decision is yours.

I didn't tell my own mom until one week before my surgery date. She ended up crying and couldn't sleep every night until my surgery date. Afterwards everything turned out fine, for me and for my mom. She is actually happy for me now that I have lost a lot of weight. Hope this helps, as well as everyone else's responses. For me, it was worth it and regret not doing it sooner in life.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and was 55 years old and 386 pounds when I had my sleeve done. My parents have both been gone for years, so it wasn't a parent's disapproval, it was my best friend's disapproval that I had to deal with. My husbandm kids, siblings and the rest of my friends were very supportive and now that I'm down 153 pounds, so is my best friend. She just had to see proof that I really was ready to make the lifestyle and lifetime changes needed to make WLS successful.

I agree with what other's here have posted. I didn't read them all but in case someone didn't mention it, take your mother to one of the presurgery appointments and maybe arrange for her to meet someone who has done this and been successful. I looked at this whole process for 2 years before getting up the courage to do it. It's a big step, but only you know if this is your only option to get healthy. For me, I realized there were no more options. I had failed at every weight loss process/plan there is. This surgery has given me my life back!

I'm not done losing yet. I lost very slowly from the start, some of us do, and getting these last 70 pounds off is very, very slow, but I'm not ready to be done yet, so I keep working the program and doing what I need to do. Good luck with the surgery and in helping your mother to accept it and be less scared. It's great that she loves you so much!
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 2/5/14 and my daughter was not supportive at all until we were at Grandma's house and I brought up the topic. My step-mom has been behind me all the way and asked why I hadn't done it sooner, as my weight has mostly been in line with my height. I also sent my daughter the link to "EMMI" so that she could actually be informed of every step not only of the surgery, but the entire process. She has since come around.
  • 2mouse63
    2mouse63 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My daughters is the one that don't like me to go with surgery. However, I am going to get it done in June. My mother is supportive with my decision and she is looking into it now. Here is what I did to help them understand about this procedure. I like they really don't understand, so I have let them read some of these posts from others plus talking to the doctors too. They have gone with me to a seminar about the surgery and support group too. Now my daughters are being more supportive.

Best wishes on your decision. I know I am going to happy with my outcome.
  • brownar24
    Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing on this post. My surgery is next Tuesday. My sister is not supportive and although her comments are not necessarily negative she continues to say things that give the impression that I am taking the easy way out and don't know what I am getting myself into. My husband has been extremely supportive. I'm tired of the weight roller coaster. I want take care of my weight before I develop crippling issues. Mainly I want to be healthy! Reading these comments have reaffirmed my decision and encouraged me.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My response would be "I appreciate your concerns, and I hear what you are saying, but, since I have already made an informed decision, I am not asking for your opinion, I am asking for your support."

Excellent response to her. Even if it'll go in one eye and out the other, lol.

Anyway, it sounds like you have been researching and figuring out if this is right for you for a little while, so don't let her own fears deter you. WLS is an amazing tool that can change peoples lives. Congrats on taking steps for a healthier you!

BTW - I didn't and still have not told my mom but for different reasons. I would really, really like to tell her and I know she'd be supportive, but she has the biggest blabber mouth I know. I love her dearly, but no matter how much pleading to keep things to herself I do she tells people things and I don't want everyone to know. I only told the people in my life that would be supportive and not blab. My hubby, my brother & his wife, and a couple friends. I see why you needed to, though, thankfully, I didn't need a babysitter for my daughter. My hubby took some vacation days.