January 2014 Surgery

Options
It looks like my surgery will be in January but I have to lose some weight in the interim. I am a little nervous but feeling that this life change could make my life so much better. I have not been a healthy weight since I was seven or eight.

I just found this group and hopefully I can find a little support to figure it out and be prepared for the next steps in my life. I have seen such positive things from people from what I have read on here.

Replies

• teachren
    Options
    Congratulations on getting a surgery date. It's exciting but also a little overwhelming but if you can get some weight off before the surgery it will help to make your recovery that much better.

Are you following a supervised diet for your insurance company or do you just have to do a liquid diet for a few weeks before your surgery?

There are lots of great people on here...you are correct!

I am almost 6 months since my VSG and if you are looking for friends to support you please feel free to add me as a friend.

Good luck....you can do it!

Cheers :-)
  • golconda
    Options
    I have to meet with a nutritionist for three months before my surgery so I am in the process of losing weight. They want me to lose a little more because I have had a previous open surgery to remove my gall bladder. I imagine I will also do a liquid diet the week before.
  • Lester39
    Options
    I had to jump through many hoops as well but now my surgery seems like it is just around the corner (11/19). Just take it one day at a time. I lost a few pounds but nothing worth celebrating about. My nutritionist was big on showing that I might not have lost weight but I hadn't gained any in the 3+ months that I was in the prep program. Without intervention I would have gained several pounds during that same amount of time. You have already taken the most important step, the FIRST step! Good for you!!!
  • jpinsa
    jpinsa Posts: 1
    Options
    I have my last nut appointment next week and then go for insurance approval....when I started this journey I thought 6 months of nut visits would take forever but poof! It's almost here! And now the doubts and doubters are creeping in so I'm so glad I found this site!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a surgery date! It is both exciting and overwhelming. Good luck with everything! You've found a great group of people here. Good support and good information.
  • suzee279
    Options
    Congrats on getting a date!! You will find that you have a fabulous group of people here to support you as well as help with any questions you may have. I am 9 months out and have experienced success like I have never been able to acheive before. It is both overwhelming and incredibley exciting to start down this path. Good luck and much success!!

Suz
  • golconda
    Options
    Thanks all, it is official the date is set for January 28th, 2014 now that I have insurance approval, doctor physical done, hit the goal weight they wanted. I have been scouring looking for good clear liquid suggestions for the first week after surgery. It seems that this Isopure is highly recommended and ok for clear liquids as a way to get some good protein. Any thoughts, I am thinking about the apple/melon which seems to be very popular.
  • melanieyeatts
    Options
    Just had my surgery January 9th! Not one regret! It has been a very smooth recovery and already down 23 lbs. 11 of those were during the pre-diet phase (2 weeks Optifast). Total 23 since Dec. 26th. I have just transitioned into phase 2 of the soft liquids and not eating solids yet but so far, I am so pleased with my decision. Best of luck to you!
  • golconda
    Options
    Surgery is done and I am recovering although my sleeping is out of whack as I regain my energy. I had my surgery and was doing so well that I was out the next day and home. It is strange not feeling hungry but I know that will pass a little bit later on. I am also trying to write regularly on a blog here as kind of a journal to keep me focused and ready to go.

I am three days out but feeling pretty good. I am hoping to use this forum and site to serve as a way for me to stay focused and listen to the advice of others as well as maybe finding advice that works for me.

Big tip from me is that sugar free popsicles are making this so much easier during the liquid phase. :)

Hope everyone is doing well and I will try to keep you up to date on my progress and even my stumbling blocks. I can't wait to be full liquids so I can have my greek yogurt again. Never thought I would say that.

Have a great weekend everyone! Sorry for the weird time of posting but my sleep schedule seems slightly off as I am recovering. Going to bed at 9 pm getting up at weird times and sleeping again but I suppose that is normal as my body is adjusting its energy levels.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So glad you're done & feeling good!
    Thanks for the tip about the popscicles! LOL I'm starting my process now, so it might be awhile before I have my surgery.
    Keep posting your progress! It's very motivating!
  • Bigigg23
    Options
    I'm 5 days post op. Feeling better than I expected . I've found using Kool-aid & Crystal light liquid in my vanilla protein shakes really helps give me a little variety. Drinking just vanilla and chocolate gets very boring.
  • ambrosia79
    ambrosia79 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just had my surgery on Wednesday and I am feeling so much better than I expected. I am lucky, though, because I was allowed full liquids as soon as I came home yesterday, so I'm watering down and straining cream soups and can also eat yogurt. I totally get the wacked out sleep schedule. I still want to nap every few hours, but I was told that can last a couple of weeks. Any VSGers can add me if you want!
  • reisu
    reisu Posts: 16
    Options
    I also had my surgery (Jan 27th). It was great the first few days....the third I just couldn't even *dream* of 'eating' anything aside from just plain old water.

I'm back on the soups/yogurts. I've fallen in love as well with sugar free fudgesicles:) I've been using Unjury Chocolate Speldor shakes (wow...those things are fantastic!), and ProtiDiet Chicken soup mostly. I've pureed some Progresso Heart Healthy Roasted chicken soup (that worked out well). I also pureed some chili.

It was way too early for chili >< I'll give that a few more weeks lol:)
  • golconda
    Options
    Yea, I will be starting pureed tomorrow and excited for some more textured foods. I am having no problems keeping down about a cup of soup or a small cup of yogurt at this point. I am able to get plenty of fluids in so doing well. I wondered as well if anyone here also had a CPAP machine. I have tried to use it a couple of times but it left me with a very dry mouth in the morning (which wasn't what it used to do). I want to use it because I know I sleep better but thought I would see if others had the problem. Yes, I have a chin strap to keep my mouth closed but still very dry in the morning.
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I wondered as well if anyone here also had a CPAP machine. I have tried to use it a couple of times but it left me with a very dry mouth in the morning (which wasn't what it used to do). I want to use it because I know I sleep better but thought I would see if others had the problem. Yes, I have a chin strap to keep my mouth closed but still very dry in the morning.

Are you able to adjust your humidity? I use NO humidity in the summer but winter I turn it way up...otherwise I have WORSE than cotton mouth!!! I literally have to peel my tongue off the top of my mouth...ewwwww!! :laugh:
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    I wondered as well if anyone here also had a CPAP machine. I have tried to use it a couple of times but it left me with a very dry mouth in the morning (which wasn't what it used to do). I want to use it because I know I sleep better but thought I would see if others had the problem. Yes, I have a chin strap to keep my mouth closed but still very dry in the morning.

Humidity is the key. You may have to turn it up. I had to adjust mine to allow more mositure.
  • golconda
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I will give it a whirl tonight. Also, any suggestions for the pureed food. I ordered a mini food processor because I think it will help. I am going grocery shopping tomorrow morning and planning on picking up some refried beans, etc...

I have also been wondering because my friends said that they only had one or two tablespoons during this phase but a sample meal from my nutritionist said that 1/4 cup of the protein is what you are shooting for with a couple tablespoons for pureed vegetables or applesauce or something. I seem to be doing well on keeping full liquids down and eating more. I am wondering what experiences others had with this portion of the diet.

Any suggestions for food for me to pick up tomorrow or try would be great. Obviously it doesn't have to be much since I plan to just get a few things and rotate since I don't want to waste a whole lot of food.

Thanks in advance everyone! You have all been very helpful.
  • ambrosia79
    ambrosia79 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just started purees and i have mostly been eating scrambled eggs blended with milk and melting a little cheese in it. I also blended cottage cheese and put pizza sauce on top and warmed it for a little italian flavor. I can eat about 1/2 a cup at a time. Never been so happy to eat pureed food haha!
  • golconda
    Options
    Yea, I bought some salsa and sour cream to make with some of the refried beans I bought because it sounds really good. Although first up is tuna salad. I have been craving seafood for some reason and can't wait :) I also picked up some low fat corned beef hash. I heard it can be a very good choice and seems to have a ton of protein. I am going to try these Egg Beaters. Not sure what to think but scrambled eggs have never sounded so good. :D
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Yea, I bought some salsa and sour cream to make with some of the refried beans I bought because it sounds really good. Although first up is tuna salad. I have been craving seafood for some reason and can't wait :) I also picked up some low fat corned beef hash. I heard it can be a very good choice and seems to have a ton of protein. I am going to try these Egg Beaters. Not sure what to think but scrambled eggs have never sounded so good. :D
    Be careful with beans, they are very starchy and can make you very nauseous if they are too big a portion of your meal.