Newbie with questions!

Options
ckemmis
ckemmis Posts: 51 Member
How do I even start this program? I've read about and watched the videos, and while it all seems good to read about, I don't even know where to start. I'm obese (210 lbs) and I would consider myself fairly weak. I don't really have access to a gym, but I do have some dumbbells at home. Should I start with those and go from there? Help!

Replies

• rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I know you said you've read the program, but if you haven't read the summary "sticky" at the beginning of the discussion threads, you should go check it out.

All of the lifts in the program can be done with bodyweight or dumbbells, but the program calls for increasing the weight every workout, so you would need to move up to barbells before too long. You don't have to go to a gym, but you'd have to set up your own weight area at home.

If you really think this is something you'd like to do, read through some of the discussion threads here in this group. There's lots of good info floating around out there.
  • rlw911
    Options
    I just saw your thread over on the Success board and wanted to copy my reply to you here, in case you check back on this thread first. :smile:
    I saw your thread on the Stronglifts group discussion board and replied a little bit ago. Forgive me if I'm confused, but on that thread, you said you didn't have access to a gym. Lots of people will be happy to give advice, but we need to know whether to base it on whether or not you have access to a gym or gym equipment.
  • ckemmis
    ckemmis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The whole gym thing is a tricky situation. I'm able to go with my friend every once in a while, because she work at the YMCA and gets me in, but we don't go religiously. Other than the times that I go with her, I don't have access to one.
  • rlw911
    Options
    The whole gym thing is a tricky situation. I'm able to go with my friend every once in a while, because she work at the YMCA and gets me in, but we don't go religiously. Other than the times that I go with her, I don't have access to one.

Ah, that makes sense! So, what I said before applies, unless you can get to the gym on a regular basis. You could always start at home and if you like lifting, get a membership at your friend's gym when you're ready to move up to heavier weights. If you google the lifts, you can find videos showing how to do them using dumbbells.

Don't sell yourself short. Just because you may be heavier than some, doesn't mean you're not strong. You may surprise yourself and be able to lift the Olympic bar (45lbs). On the other hand, if you need to start small, then start small. Most gyms have lighter, fixed weight barbells and you can try those out, too. Either way, it doesn't matter what weight you start lifting at - just start! :happy: