6 Lbs Weight Gain at only 7-8 Weeks?! What's Goin' On?

Options
Brandy3827
Brandy3827 Posts: 42 Member
My due date is still unclear, as the initial ultrasound didn't match the first day of your last cycle method... but I'm thinking 7-8 weeks.
I've ALREADY gained almost SIX POUNDS!!! What in the world is happening? Granted, when I weighed this morning my rings were tight, so I think I was somewhat swollen- but still-- isn't that crazy? My pants aren't any tighter, but I'm considering ordering some bigger bras already.

I'm hoping it's just some crazy fluctuation happening, and that tomorrow I'll magically weigh much less. Has anyone else had this happen?

For reference, I've been eating maintenance since I found out and everything else (exercise, water intake etc.) has remained the same.

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Yep, I don't know what I gained at that point but I know I was really bloated early on (and even wearing a maternity belly band with some pants). I felt fat. I looked fat. Then it subsided and I didn't wear maternity clothes regularly until I was nearly in the 3rd trimester. Drink tons of water, move a lot, and things will be okay.

In the end I gained about 23 lbs and lost it all within 2 weeks of delivery. So early weight gain/bloating is not necessarily an indicator of total weight gain!
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I gained a few pounds right away and then throughout the first trimester I got back to my regular weight and then slowly started gaining again. I think it's just your body. Don't freak too much. Do what you normally do and it will even out soon.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I bloat up at first when the hormones are really high and then had very little swelling until just recently (34 wks). But in other pregnancies swelling seemed to be more of an ongoing thing for me. If you're not eating way over your maintenance calories then you can't have gained 6 pounds of fat, so at least there's that!

Btw, with regard to how far along you are, early ultrasounds are very accurate. The pregnancy wheel only works if you have textbook cycles.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I agree with these other lovely ladies, bloat bloat and more bloat! Gotta love water retention.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'd put on about 8-10lbs by my booking appointment, when I was just over 11 weeks, and I weighed exactly the same when I was weighed at 12.5 weeks. I was incredibly bloated in the first trimester. I had an addiction to eating those pre-prepared fruit salads, which didn't help! I was also very nauseous and eating differently to usual, although I definitely wasn't eating at maintenance, let alone over it, and I was still exercising, so there's no way it could've been fat.

I'm 27 weeks tomorrow and haven't dared weigh myself again though!
  • pgfiremedic1619
    Options
    Dont worry too much. Your hands might be swollen from all the homronal chnages but def drink PLENTY of water. Im in the same boat with you. I think im close to 9 weeks along cant be sure yet bc I Dont have an appt unitl Feb 7th:( We suffered a MC late last year and I never had a period so we cant say for sure how far along I am. Ive gained 8+ pounds already but none in my stomach. Im boobs are huge and Ive gone up 2 sizes :0 Its possible that you gained some lbs in the first few weeks trying to combat morning sickness like i did. Dont freak out just yet! CONGRATS:) ;)
  • lijepa1979
    lijepa1979 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I gained about 5 or 6 lbs by 7 weeks and was so upset because there was no way I could gain weight with what I was eating. My midwife said it was bloat and to not worry. I was told to watch my sodium and drink lots of water
  • vlmcwilliams
    vlmcwilliams Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was in a weight loss challenge when I found out I was pregnant at 4/5 weeks (so was in the habit of near daily weigh-ins) it was crazy I would go from 66.4kg to 67.1kg (146.4-147.9lbs) overnight then back to 66.4kg the next day. It was all bloating. I'm now at 12 weeks and have gained 1.4 kg (3lbs) total since pre-pregnancy